Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-20, 06:50 PM  
Leonana

I usually send out a dozen, mostly to family. This year I sent out about nine, to people who sent me a card last year. I got them in the mail today, lol.
Old 12-20-20, 12:41 AM  
videofit

I only sent out five, all to elderly relatives who would like a cheery card to decorate their assisted living accommodations. I didn't have to buy any since I get free cards from Colonial Williamsburg as a member.
Old 12-20-20, 12:44 AM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
The worst are the family photos with a million people in them, but nobody's named. I'm not sure which is worse, not knowing their names, or watching them grow up year after year, still having no idea who they are.
That's funny!
Old 12-20-20, 12:14 PM  
DCW

Too too funny!!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 02:44 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

We send about 200 cards and letters.

The cards are always photo cards. Some years (becoming more rare) I have a group shot. Other years I do a collage.

We started 33 years ago when our firstborn was a baby. 30 years ago we started including a letter. My husband is a gifted writer, so he writes the letter and I (an accountant ) keeps the address list in an excel spreadsheet.

The list has grown over the years (big families on both sides, plus work friends), but has stabilized around 200 for 15 years or so.

The five "kids" are now 22, 25, 27, 29 and 32. One is married, one is engaged. So, we don't say as much about them as we used to (protecting young adult privacy), but do talk about travels and all kind of other things.

I have all the years in a 3 ring binder.

I have a goal to get them all uploaded and make a book for the children, but that hasn't happened yet.

Leslie
Old 12-21-20, 12:50 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Many of us considered "elderly" still like to receive holiday cards in the mail. It seems more personal than the general FaceBook post or the random group e-card.
I find so many Christmas cards we have received in the past aren't very personal. A group picture or collage of the family with pre-printed greetings. Nothing is hand-written, not even the envelope. It is nice to see our friends' kids grow up (whether we know their names or not ), but very few we have received feel at all personal. It has become a very manufactured process. Which is understandable if you send out scores of cards, but still... most don't feel personal to me.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 01:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I find so many Christmas cards we have received in the past aren't very personal. A group picture or collage of the family with pre-printed greetings. Nothing is hand-written, not even the envelope. It is nice to see our friends' kids grow up (whether we know their names or not ), but very few we have received feel at all personal. It has become a very manufactured process. Which is understandable if you send out scores of cards, but still... most don't feel personal to me.
To be honest, I'm one of those folks who finds the whole "festive season" thing rather depressing. Even more so this year.

I love Halloween and the whole year goes downhill after that.

I printed up personalized holiday cards this year.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 01:27 PM  
Karla25

I don’t send cards anymore. I hate waste and the idea of something dying just so I can send a pretty card to someone. I’ve gotten very sensitive about things like that as I’ve aged. I usually send a text or call.
Old 12-21-20, 03:56 PM  
sherry7899

If you do photo cards(we have never done them) at what age do your kids stop having to be on.them? We just received a photo card from a couple with a 21 year old son. The couple is smiling and the poor son looks like he is having root canal done.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-20, 05:12 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I don’t send cards anymore. I hate waste and the idea of something dying just so I can send a pretty card to someone. I’ve gotten very sensitive about things like that as I’ve aged. I usually send a text or call.
Yes, I feel the same way. Live Xmas trees, cards, wrappings.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas cards, holiday cards, off-topic