Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-01-20, 03:13 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Happy belated Thanksgiving! We were supposed to go to the neighbor's, same ones we sat outside with on Halloween. Apparently they weren't distancing like I thought because Tuesday she said she'd tested positive for COVID! So we made food at home, ate at normal dinnertime, and then DH worked that night.

TonyaK, my kids don't like turkey! We've been doing ham lately, though DH said next year he's making turkey. Are your two trees both inside? Your kids have been online the whole time, right? Schools here have started going back online, though not our district. Our school seems to be doing fine, I've heard of a few COVID cases but not a ton. The high schools have dozens!

Stephanie, what IS a bone stimulator? A machine? Drug? $600 is crazy! How are you feeling now?

DD has been OK. She does go to gymnastics and does all lower body stuff. I realized yesterday their first competition is Jan 8 and there's no way she can do it, so I let the gym know not to register her. I did move her appointment up a bit to Dec. 10. I'd like the doctor to see how she's doing and possibly ask him to order an MRI. He said we could get one for the diagnosis but I think it's more worthwhile to check progress.

It's strange because he didn't see anything on the MRI and she only felt pain when doing certain floor things (like back handsprings, but not during vault) so I feel like it's not that serious. Of course, I want to make sure it heals properly, so I figure an MRI will help show us.

I canceled my Burn Bootcamp membership. The contract goes until January so I had to pay to get out of it ($100) but honestly it's sort of a relief. I haven't gone since March and $100/month for streaming is nuts! The owner had actually waived my fees for 3 months while i wasn't working so I guess in a way I came out even.

I'm still not really doing anything at work, so I sort of have a lot of freetime. But various factors are keeping me from doing great workouts! I don't like getting up when it's dark and cold, I have to take the kids to school M-W, and if I do have work calls, they're always in the morning. Today I wanted to run, but instead did BodyCombat so I could shower after, get the kids to school, do a work call, and go to PT, all before noon.

My current plan is Peloton, Les Mills, running, and hiking. I got Body Beast recently and plan to try that soon!

Hope all are well!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 07:19 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi All!

Gosh, Pratima, I'm so thankful you didn't see the neighbor! Is she ok? I'm glad you got out of your membership. I feel like subscriptions can be kind of stressful. I need to do a subscription audit in 2021! That's interesting they didn't see anything on the MRI for your DD. How odd... when do they think she will be healed?

Tonya, wow, your kids don't want to go back to school? My kids, who normally don't like school at all, have even said they prefer to go back. I'm with you on the restrictions--I don't go out anyway so it doesn't really affect me! I don't feel like there are any new restrictions around here. Numbers are up, but not much has changed apart from the return to school date has been pushed back indefinitely. I am skeptical that my kids will ever go back to school! Argh! But I have to say, my DS2 has gotten much better about working independently, which is a relief. He logs on to his classes on time without pretty much any reminder. It's amazing!

So the bone stimulator is some ultrasound thing that helps with building bone, I guess. You wear it on the bone for a few hours a day (it stays on with some kind of strap contraption.) I spoke with the billing office and they said they'd charge me $430 if I paid for it all at once, down from $600+. I called the doc and asked if it was really necessary. He had been very postive about my progress, so I wondered if I really needed it. He said we could wait six more weeks and then if the bone still isn't fully filled in, he strongly recommended the stimulator.

I did some research and found a supplement that is supposed to help build bone. It's baiscally a protein drink with added minerals and vitamins. I am trying that and I am not trying to lose any weight even though I'm so heavy I can hardly stand it! I'm really feeling fine for the most part. I got a new Fitbit for Christmas (I told DH I was just going to order it myself because I want it now!) So I'm walking. I can do planks now which is good weight bearing for the clavicle.

So that's that. Hopefully I'll go back in the new year and it will be fully healed.

Did you guys have a good Thanksgiving? We had a friend visit. It was so fun. It was tough to be without my mom, though.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 10:56 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, I've been thinking about my mom a lot too. That's one grief that I don't think ever changes, you know? My mom had been through so much and I'm still sad she couldn't be around longer.

I think the neighbor is OK. I mean, she didn't have to go to the hospital at least. You're right about pressure from subscriptions! I pay less than $10 for Les Mills but still feel like I need to use it a certain amount to get my money's worth. That's the beauty of DVDs and free streaming, I guess.

DD actually hasn't had an MRI. He offered but I didn't think we needed it for diagnosis. I do want one so he can check progress. He said 4 weeks of brace and nothing weight bearing, and then another 2-4 weeks with the brace and starting some activity. We go in Thursday and I am going to ask for the MRI and ask about how to progress her activity.

Is the bone stimulator covered by insurance? What if you pay cash, might it be less? DD's brace was supposedly $115 if they billed insurance (and I'd have to pay it anyway to meet our deductible) and only $10 for cash pay!

You should join the Fitbit challenges I do with TonyaK and her friends! I think I've gotten in 2nd place maybe once but just seeing my place in the group helps me keep moving, at least.

It's been pretty much an all-Peloton week for me, with one Les Mills and one run. I have to say, I'm not crazy about Peloton strength work. It seems unique just to be unique and not necessarily effective. I think next week I'll try all Les Mills and running.

My kids are still in school, but now another district has gone back to hybrid, with the kids in school on certain days depending on their last name. Since they went back around Labor Day, there have only been 6 COVID cases, so I guess that's good. The two high schools in the district have had 50 and 55 cases!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 12-16-20, 09:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Friends!

Pratima, I'm going to email you regarding getting together over Christmas!! Can't wait!

I ordered Cathe's Perfect 30. I can't believe I'm buying new DVDs but whatever. I did the low impact HIIT yesterday and I loved it. I'm going to try the mobility one later today.

We're getting some snow today. I walked the dog this morning. Hopefully this 'storm' won't leave us stranded because stupid Norther VA won't shovel. Harumph.

Hope all are well!
Old 12-16-20, 12:06 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Getting together?! OMG YES!

I was thinking about getting the Cathe Perfect 30 weight workouts. For now I'm doing well with what i have though!

It cooled off a LOT here. Mornings are in the low to mid-30s and highs in the low 60s. It's supposed to stay that way a while. I'd love to see some snow this year but it hasn't snowed much up north and so far we don't have any plans to go.

Trump signed Christmas Eve into a federal holiday so I have the day off! Which is exciting. Not that I'm really doing much still!

My kids have a half day of school today and tomorrow and then are off until January 4. No idea what we'll do. The Chinese restaurant we usually go to on Christmas is takeout only and a 40 minute drive one-way so that's out! I suppose we'll do Chinese takeout nearby.

What are your plans for the holidays?

Old 12-16-20, 01:37 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Pratima, I thought I had your email address, but I don't, so i sent you a pm on FB
Old 12-22-20, 01:26 AM  
TonyaK

Hi friends!

I'm so excited for you both if you get to meet up!

Pratima, you inspired me to sign up for Les Mills. I believe I can just cancel through the app without having to talk to anyone, so that works for me! Today I did a Body Combat 30 minute workout. I don't love the big screen behind them, but I did enjoy doing some different moves from Cathe or Chalene. I've only used it one other time so far, for a Body Pump class.

Stephanie, I hadn't thought about planks being weight-bearing for your clavicle. I'm glad there are some things you can try before (or hopefully instead of!) the bone stimulator.
Did you get a lot of snow?
How are you liking Perfect 30?

Both of our trees are inside. We don't do much outdoor decorating. Our neighborhood has a lot of over-the-top houses this year!

My kids have been online all year. DD doesn't want to have to wear a mask all day long. Neither wants to have a new teacher. Both like being able to just hang out at home in the mornings and not have to GO to school. They have always been reluctant to change to a new activity or to leave the house, even when the next thing is something fun! Once they get there, they're fine. I can remember banging on the top of the car in fury and tears because each of them would refuse to sit in their toddler car seats to be strapped in. DD would be willing to go back in January, but DH doesn't want one kid at home and one at school.

Hugs to you both about missing your moms. I miss my dad, too. The holidays are always times of lots of memories.

Pratima, we usually let the kids get us up when they wake up on Christmas, and we open presents, and then I make cinnamon rolls. We'll have steak, mashed potatoes, etc... for lunch or at like 2:00. DH will watch football. Oh, I got a couple of frozen pies. It looks like it will be warm enough to go for a family walk. We just usually play with all the new toys and watch Christmas movies or football and be pretty lazy. Most years, we see DH's family around New Year's Eve. We haven't seen my mom for a while since I haven't wanted to be around my sister, and she moved into my mom's house. I think I might be getting over it, so hopefully I can start seeing my mom more.

I hope you are both well! Please tell about your meet-up!!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 08:53 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, I got an email invite to this week's Fitbit challenge but when I went to the app, it's not there! And my Fitbit suddenly won't charge. I am going to contact them today though. I think the charger is faulty.

Stephanie and I should be able to meet up this weekend! In a safe, socially distant way, of course. How annoying! But better than nothing. It's been cool here (lows in the low 30s and highs in the low 60s) but should warm up later this week so we're probably going to meet at a park.

I'm doing a lot of Les Mills right now. Felt like I should really try out all the workouts. Yesterday I did Grit Strength. I thought it would alternate cardio and weight moves, but it's actually more just fast-moving strength. The one thing I don't like is that there isn't great weight work. I do like Body Pump, but it's all the same.

TonyaK, I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. I got the subscription mostly for BodyCombat and The Trip (cycle workouts). At $10/month, I think it's worth it!

My kids have been home ONE DAY and it looks like a tornado hit the house! DD slept until like 10 AM, DS was up around 7:30. I'm working until Thursday and DH is asleep, so they're kind of on their own. They did fine, but of course got a little bored!

Old 12-29-20, 03:55 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Last few days of the year!! As you all probably saw, Stephanie and I did finally meet! We met at a park so the kids could run around. The kids and DHs seemed to all get along quite well. The one hitch was that the two young DSs wanted to go on the equipment (which was packed) and so we had to keep telling them to stay on the grass.

I've been doing Body Beast workouts. I had the set before and sold it because I couldn't imagine doing say, only chest and triceps on a day for 40 minutes. But right now, it seems to be what I need. Lifting heavy is sort of meditative, I guess. And I feel like despite my 2 months of PT, my hips still isn't super strong so I want to let it recover a bit.

The kids are still on break. This week feels strange somehow, like we hit the big climax of Christmas and now we're still doing what we did before it. Maybe because we didn't go anywhere this year over break? And it's the kids first time not in camp. They do chores, play Nintendo, and this week finally get to play with the neighbors. I guess time is going by in a weird way.

TonyaK, I believe you got snow? One of my coworkers, who I talk to just about daily, lives near you. When do your kids start school again?

I know Stephanie is still here for another couple of days. Hoping we'll get plenty of chances to get together! DS must have liked you and your family--he's normally super quiet and sticks to mine or DH's side when we first meet people (TonyaK can attest to that) but he went right out and played with your boys.

We'll have to start a new thread soon!

Old 01-01-21, 03:33 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

New thread for 2021 Q1!

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230123