Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-20, 10:32 AM  
cailleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I forgot to mention S90 alternates regular kickbacks and diagonal kickbacks across the chest which is also something I may add to my mental list of subs for tricep dips.
D
My lumpectomy impacted my ability to do full push-ups. As someone who loved doing full push-ups, I had to modify since. While recovering, did chest press w/weights in place of push-ups. Now, I'm up to modified push-ups on knees but just can't do a lot of reps or sets.

Then had surgery for shoulder impingement couple years later. This impact triceps dips which I was never a fan of anyway along with side planks.
Am curious, what is diagonal kickbacks?
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 12:09 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Burpees etc: I usually sub in lunges. I have tried using a strong chair to hold onto and modify that way. (Sometimes I forget to find the chair beforehand though!) I also sometimes keep my gliders handy and just glide back/forth. If I have my step bench handy, I'll just step up/down. I have also recently started using the back of my couch. For push-ups, I have started doing them against the wall.

Anything step related: I just do a 4-count of either repeaters or just march in place. Cathe is pretty reliable on her 4-counts/8-counts, so I just mentally count in place and catch back up. I also just keep all moves low impact and it generally works out to the same count/choreography.

Triceps dips: I usually do kickbacks or overhead tricep stuff. I have done them on a high sturdy chair too.

Jumping jacks, air jacks, etc: I almost always just do low jacks (one leg out, then the other). Or I'll do like 2 higher ones and then 2 lower ones as subs. I also just jog instead too. I also don't do Cathe's jumping feet touch the step (no clue the name of this one!) so I kind of just go side to side with one foot taking off instead.

Shoulder stuff: For Cathe, I know I can't use her weight on dumbbells for upper body, so I usually pick one that's half of hers. Keeps it easy to sub. For upright rows, I only do one side at a time instead of two.

Scissor jumps etc: I do modified ponies instead or sometimes just regular lunges.

Planks: I've recently started skipping them entirely. I just do lunges/gliders/jogging. I hurt my shoulder doing these two years ago, and I kept thinking it would heal. It never did. Now I've decided that my life is better without them. Bye planks!

Gosh, I think I modify 50% to 75% of a lot of workouts! I'm fine with that. I'm up and moving and not sitting on my couch! I'm really glad to hear that others do the same things!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 01:03 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailleach View Post
Am curious, what is diagonal kickbacks?
I think she is referring to this
Old 11-11-20, 01:25 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I think she is referring to this
Sorry just saw this calileach!

Yes! That's it....thanks Taiga!!

.and when you alternate the two within the same set it's an awesome combo on the tricep!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 07:46 PM  
kat999

I mentioned some of my modifications in the other thread, but I have to share this rather elaborate thing I do for FIRM Express specifically. I kind of hate all the moves in the bursts, I find them way too fussy and frenetic, and if the point is to just do eight seconds of getting your heart rate up, I would rather sub in something that does that without me having to go crazy trying to master a specific move that I just don't like. So every time I do FIRM Express (and over the summer, I was doing three of them every Monday as a mini-rotation, to make a 60-minute workout rather than following their prescribed plan), I get out a whiteboard and create a cycle for the bursts for that day, usually swapping in running in place, jumping jacks, different levels of jump rope, and doing fast basics on my aerobic step. At this point, I've done FIRM Express so many times that I probably COULD do a lot of the burst moves, I just have an irrational hatred for them at this point and enjoy rebelling.

Tags
modifications, modifying, modifying high impact, safety, substitutes, substitution, twisting