Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-14, 11:32 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Would you lift heavy weights if you had weight to lose (Im talking about 15-20 lbs)? I have done STS several years ago as well as CLX but those programs made me bulky. I did gain strength but I also gained some weight (I was eating clean with restricted calories). Im thinking about either Cathe Xtrain or Body Beast (want to get it during the sale).

Thanks!
So far, I haven't bulked from heavy weights. I actually lose fat easier when I am doing heavy weights--I think it boosts my metabolism. I've never done STS or any hypertrophy oriented program though. I've just done Venus Factor, workouts from female Body Breakthrough and Drop 2 Sizes (not teh whole program), a Leigh Peele program, Venus Factor 1 and 2 (part of two), and part of Strong Curves. So usually mostly compound exercises, arranged into supersets or circuits with rests between circuits or supersets. Usually alternating upper and lower body exercises (Venus Factor one wasn't organized that way, but I am impatient with rests so I reordered the exercies into super sets or circuits). These were full body workouts 2-3 times a week. I get a good metabolic boost but I have to log food as I would also eat more if not keeping an eye on that. I didn't log/control food when I was doing Strong Curves, but I didn't gain weight beyond what always happens with vigorous exercise (2-3 pounds that were shed when I went on vacation and didn't exercise for a week other than walking or hiking). I didn't bulk though. Perhaps I am not lean enough to notice exercise bulk, my unwanted bulk is mainly extra bodyfat. If I diet and strength train I get smaller. I do usually do a fair amount of cardio and I know some of the lifting gurus (some of the programs I have done) would say that interferes with strength/muscle gains. Oh, when lifting heavy, I don't really do much traditional ab work. That was something I picked up from Venus though some of the other programs have a similar guideline. The core work I do is mainly bracing the abs during the workout and planks (or variations of planks). Though I think I get some core work in my non-strength workouts like belly dancing, hoop dancing, and yoga. I sometimes do a little TA or pilates core work, I usually don't do the long core sections in barre workouts or ab specific workouts. I have a fitness superstition about bulking the abs (actually mainly the obliques).

ETA: Heavy weights are not what I prefer though, so I go through phases where I will follow a heavy program then switch to something bodyweight or barre related. I prefer bodyweight and dance inspired workouts (barre, pilates, Tracy Anderson, etc) and yoga. I also enjoy metabolic workouts and kettlebells for different reasons. I have trouble being consistent with heavier lifting though I like the results. So I have yet to do more than a 3 month rotation before I switch back to what I prefer. I don't know whether I would bulk if I continuously lifted heavy. By heavy, I am usually doing 10-15 reps which is often considered medium or even high reps by some. But it is more than the 3,5,8, even 10 pound weights I would use in my other workouts.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 12:41 PM  
pollytc

I'm glad to see this thread. I've been contemplating what type of routine to follow? I've recently lost 25 lbs and need to lose about 40 more.

I am squandering between doing moderate weights (Gym Styles, 4 Day Spilit, Burn Sets, CTX, Pyramids or KCM Muscle Up or Weights First....then there's always Joyce). I also want to make sure I incorporate pilates and yoga into whatever I do. Sure wish I had an answer!

I also want to add that I have more of an hourglass figure, and can gain muscle easy.
Old 07-28-14, 10:14 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have never lost weight doing heavier (for dvds) lifting. It always increases my appetite so that's a factor.

I have really broadened out in the shoulders and I really don't like the look of that, but I still prefer heavier weight workouts.

I believe you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but I don't think it's the most efficient way to go. I still think cardio is the best way to fat loss. However, if heavy weights are what you prefer, go with heavy weights and watch your food consumption levels.

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weights, weights only