Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-15, 12:24 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Feeding and taking care of, Fatso. Seriously, he has a set routine and I can not sway from his schedule.
do you make it vigorous?

for a while, i was doing The 5 Tibetans hosted by Dr. Mehmet Oz.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 12:45 AM  
PrairieGem

I'm another who staggers out of bed, manages the dogs'/husband's morning routine, and then wants to slump down in front of the computer and catch up on email over coffee and oatmeal for an hour.

But. I *KNOW* that I feel far more energetic faster if I do something even a little bit active IMMEDIATELY. So my "routine" actually involves puttering around a little doing chores--folding laundry, doing the dishes, and lately a little cooking. I am and never will be a morning person, but this fake-it-til-you-make-it thing is surprisingly effective!

Meditation-wise, thanks to suggestions from this board I'm currently doing Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way, which involves first-thing-in-the-morning longhand free writing. This is not entirely new to me, but it is an excellent reminder that when I sit down to work, Freecell is NOT a useful warmup. LOL

These days my morning mantra is Start how you mean to go on.
Old 04-18-15, 02:41 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Then I found a Fitness for Free Yoga and Pilates book, with very gentle almost-calisthenics movements which I loved.
where can this book be purchased? who is the author? thanks.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 04-18-15, 08:13 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Feeding and taking care of, Fatso. Seriously, he has a set routine and I can not sway from his schedule.
Understood! For me, it's Louis, Walter and a neighborhood stray, Mr. Gray. I'm well trained.

I used to meditate for 15-30 minutes in the morning and fell away from that and am trying to get back into it. While I did it, I experienced a subtle yet noticeable enhancement to the rest of my life. The benefits of meditation are very real, not just media hype.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 08:21 AM  
cherimac

Jessica Smith Rise and Shine or AM Flow from her Yoga DVD; Sunrise Routine from TIU Beach Babe 2.
Old 04-18-15, 11:15 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 12:05 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
where can this book be purchased? who is the author? thanks.
Links are to the cheapest versions on Amazon

I found Get Fit for Free & Ditch the Gym, by Scott Tudge at Barnes & Nobles - in the discounted book section. I really liked how he showed easy versions of moves, and then progressed into more difficult ones.

So I google'd around and found Get Fit for Free! Home Workouts Yoga & Pilates, by Angie Newsom. It wasn't quite "yoga" progressions, but basic, fundamental calisthenic type moves. I really really love it, and have been using it for several months. (Til I got started on the Royal Canadian Air Force sequence.)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 01:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Links are to the cheapest versions on Amazon

I found Get Fit for Free & Ditch the Gym, by Scott Tudge at Barnes & Nobles - in the discounted book section. I really liked how he showed easy versions of moves, and then progressed into more difficult ones.

So I google'd around and found Get Fit for Free! Home Workouts Yoga & Pilates, by Angie Newsom. It wasn't quite "yoga" progressions, but basic, fundamental calisthenic type moves. I really really love it, and have been using it for several months. (Til I got started on the Royal Canadian Air Force sequence.)

Let me know if you have any other questions!
thank you!

i have a similar book, from Men's Health. the cool thing i like about this book is that it has the total # of minutes needed to do the workouts. many books give you a routine, and because it just shows the moves, i don't know how long it will take. at least with a time frame in mind, you can gauge yourself.

Stronger Faster by Brian Paul Kaufman, et al

another:
Muscle & Fitness Hers 101 Fat-Burning Workouts - this book also has the "Look Great in 8" rotation.

Old 04-18-15, 03:37 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Another one I thought of is Qi Gong for Healthy Joints & Bones by Lee Holden. This is really gentle and I feel great every time I do it. It's a perfect first-thing-in-the-morning routine and could also be used as a before-bed routine.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 03:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
If you have DDP Yoga, there is a 10 minute 'Wake Up" routine that is quite nice--nothing crazy, just gentle movement to get you going.
That is a nice a.m. routine. You start out in bed and then move to the floor. That is what I had in mind. I am looking more for things to do right at waking up as opposed to later on. There is no way I would be an a.m. exerciser. Just something really short and gentle to do for energy and mood before breakfast.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 tibetan rites, am practice, am routine, lgi8, lgi8 rotation, meditation, morning, morning workouts