Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-15, 11:47 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Favorite "as soon as you wake up routines?"

Does anyone immediately (in bed, or, at least before breakfast) do a routine right after awakening? Whether it be yoga, breathing, meditation, The Five Tibetans, Qi Gong, Tai Chi, visualization, chanting, etc.

I have several DVDs with AM/PM workouts/practices. But, I usually like to get breakfast right away.

For those that do a first-thing routine, does it really help you start the day? Does it help with energy and/or attitude?

If so, what are your favorite short AM routines or practices?

TIA!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 11:54 AM  
Kitten

Yeah, I definitely have way more energy after I workout in the morning
Quite frankly I annoyed my hubby today by being hyper.
A fave short on for me is the morning energizer practice off Crunch Candlelight Yoga.
It's 14 minutes and I feel better afterwards.
Other than that if I'm pressed for time, it's a 1 mile Leslie or an Erin Motz yoga.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 12:17 PM  
BunnyHop

Generally, Classical Stretch does it for me. Somehow less traumatic than more energetic routines.
Old 04-17-15, 12:56 PM  
PennyK

I started a daily-morning 10 minute full body Qigong practice with Shawn Phillips (Healthy Qigong) almost five weeks ago and am loving it! It has been a perfect start to my day and I really look forward to it! I feel energized and peaceful, it gets all the kinks out, and I feel more limber. In the last couple weeks I have been really focusing more on my breath (deep inhale/exhale) with the moves and think that has even been more beneficial.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 01:22 PM  
Pam

When I am struggling to get started in the morning, my favorite routine is CS 10.30, Stress Relief. This CS really helps me to limber up and to feel energized, so I have also used it when I am tired or stressed. Otherwise I do some Qigong practice, but varies which one.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 01:47 PM  
Demeris

Classical Stretch/Essentrics--any one of them
T-tapp--anything from her (yes, I know about your experience with t-tapp and with Teresa, herself)
Callanetics--any of them
Any Mirabai, any KCM, any Margaret Richards
any of my 'soft' barre (meaning they aren't athletic, endurance races. Except for P57, most of my barre workouts are a tad bit slower than the more recent --last 4 or five years--arrivals)

Well, actually--I do my big workout of the day right after I brush my teeth and drink some water. It's how I wake up and get revved up. THEN I have my coffee.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 02:57 PM  
marya

I'm a total slug when I wake up. I was never one of those people who just bounds out of bed and leaps into action. Now that I'm retired, I follow my natural inclinations and let my body activate gradually for an hour or so. But if for some reason I need to get going right away, I'll do one of my own 10-minute walk/dance improvisations plus some joint warmup isolations and basic stretches to unkink. For me, first-thing exercise has to be a no-brainer.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 03:14 PM  
desie

I feel best if I lie in bed for 20 minutes, not rushing myself to get up. This is best accomplished if someone else is up and making my coffee for me.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 03:15 PM  
Tanja

Within 15 Minutes of getting out of bed

I like to do:

Harmony Workouts (20 min)
ddp yoga (under 30 min)
Ballet cardio with Jessica Smith (20 min, barefoot, low impact)
Leslie's Power Mile (20 min, barefoot, with 8 lbs hand weights)

and other low impact up to 30 minutes workouts. I do not like high impact, high intensity first thing - I need to be awake at least an hour before I do HiiT
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 03:41 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm partial to Classical Stretch, but my absolute favorite *short* morning routine is Erin O'Brien's Postnatal Rescue, program #3 (15 mins; they're all 15 mins).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 tibetan rites, am practice, am routine, lgi8, lgi8 rotation, meditation, morning, morning workouts