Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-20, 07:50 AM  
Negin

Menopause Barbie

I'm 52 and just realized that according to the definition, I'm now post-menopausal. The average age for menopause is 51. Once you have no longer had your period for twelve consecutive months, you’re post-menopausal.

I'm usually very organized and do my research. Menopause has sadly been the exception and I have been ill-prepared. I’m disappointed with myself. Given my family history, heart disease is more of a concern than breast cancer. Osteoporosis and mental decline may be concerns also.

I recently came across Menopause Barbie's You Tube channel. She prefers that her videos be watched in order. I’ve been watching a few in the past couple of days. She is a bit quirky to say the least, but she knows her stuff, after all, she’s a retired ob-gyn. She doesn't push for anything, more for informational purposes only. Here is more info about her.

Has anyone heard of her? Her book/s are expensive and seem to be out-of-print. She’s also on Facebook. If you have heard of her, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I printed out her lengthy 95-page information handout. I’m going to read it soon, since I think I’m more into reading information than listening. Her videos, although very informative, can be overly lengthy and I can only handle so much quirkiness. I feel like saying, “Get to the point already.”

I’m open to hearing any suggestions for resources that are preferably well-researched and helpful. You Tube, blogs, books, anything. Thank you!
Old 08-20-20, 08:20 AM  
Demeris

I watched her for a while a couple of years ago. I don't remember learning much from her that I hadn't already learned, but I went through menopause at 57, and I'm 63, now.

Her stuff was good, but the small, petty part of me couldn't get past her eyelashes (which is probably an out-of-limits comment, and I apologize, but it was a HUGE deterrent).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 08:21 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I have heard of her and did watch one or two of her videos. She is just way too quirky for me, I'm sorry to say. I also felt she was very, very pro HRT, to the point where I don't think the information was unbiased. But I only watched a couple of videos so I could be wrong about that. I don't have other recommendations but I didn't click with her at all. If you do, then I'm sure you'll get some good information.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 04:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

when i first saw this thread title, i thought Mattel came out with a doll that i could identify with!!

apparently, she changed her name to Menopause Taylor - maybe Mattel didn't like it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 07:56 PM  
ncl

I was picturing a sweaty barbie with a little bit of a pooch in the belly area. Ha ha.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 11:45 PM  
carole r.

I thought you were talking about an actual Barbie. I thought to myself that if Barbie is my age, it’s about time she came out with a menopause model. 😉 Anyway, the channel sounds interesting. I’ll probably check it out.
Old 08-21-20, 02:48 AM  
Negin

Thank you all for your helpful (and funny ) replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Her stuff was good, but the small, petty part of me couldn't get past her eyelashes
Yes, I hear you. Glad to know that it's not just me. The eyelashes are just a small part of what irritates me. I wish that she'd hurry up on her videos and get to the point. I've watched a few of her earlier ones, since I've been trying to watch them in order. They were making me cranky.

I heard about her from Hot and Flashy, whom I follow. I figured, oh, if Angie loves her, then maybe she's on to something. Another channel that I follow is Dominique Sachse and she has at least one video with her also. I haven't seen that one yet. Too many videos to catch up on and too little time!

I wish that I could find a helpful, yet not annoying menopause channel on You Tube. I guess I need to make an appointment with my ob-gyn, which is a giant pain. Seeing him is the absolute worst. He's a great doctor. It's the very long wait that drives me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I have heard of her and did watch one or two of her videos. She is just way too quirky for me, I'm sorry to say. I also felt she was very, very pro HRT, to the point where I don't think the information was unbiased. But I only watched a couple of videos so I could be wrong about that. I don't have other recommendations but I didn't click with her at all. If you do, then I'm sure you'll get some good information.
Thank you for that helpful feedback. Given what I have seen so far, you are spot on.
Old 08-21-20, 05:47 AM  
Tugger31

I unfortunately went thru early menopause in my early 40's. I wasn't prepared for the skin changes and the loss of collagen/elasticity in general. I have osteoporosis in my family. I of course am concerned about health issues but right now some of the outward changes have gotten me down, that paired with a recent surgery, it's been a rough year physically and mentally. If you haven't already get a good skin care regime going that is specifically for menopausal "crepey" skin, get some more supportive bras and sports bras (sigh) and my once round butt is not looking the same so work on your glutes (which helps with strength as well). I wasn't ready for all of this. I used to look young for my age and now sadly it's the opposite. I considered HRT but my doctor really couldn't promise me (and I didn't expect her to) any protective factor for breast cancer. My aunt died of breast cancer at 42 so I decided against it, but I always wonder if it would have been helpful.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 06:00 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Every single time I see this thread topic I think of a Barbie Doll with a menopot...

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 06:56 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
every single time i see this thread topic i think of a barbie doll with a menopot...
Carol
Yep! I should have called it Menopause Taylor, which is another name she goes by.

Tags
gall bladder, menopause, menopause barbie, menopause taylor, post-menopause