Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-20, 08:13 PM  
Gams

OT - Destination Weddings

I got a call from a friend a couple days ago (not a close friend) giving me a heads up that he and his girl friend are planning a December 2021 wedding at Disney World. He said he was letting me know early to give me time to make sure I’ll be able to go. It’s a long way off, so I’m not too concerned right now, but there’s no way. Transportation to Minneapolis (probably having to spend one night with Joni O...&#128514, round trip to Florida, transportation in Florida, hotel, pet sitter, etc. Can people really afford to go to destination weddings? Do brides and grooms really expect people other than family to really attend?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 08:19 PM  
alisoncooks

I can't imagine so. That seems a huge cost. I'm sure some people can afford it -- I sure can't.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 08:27 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

No way for me! I know people who have done this, but usually it only close personal family .

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 08:37 PM  
DCW

When folks started having destinations weddings an older coworker said to me quietly, Why are you inviting people on your honeymoon?
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 08:38 PM  
Vantreesta

My cousin got married in Mexico in February. No way were we going! I don't know how couples can even expect family to spend all that money, personally.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 09:10 PM  
wendug

My dh and I had a destination wedding back in 2000 on Vancouver Island. We were living in Texas at the time and all of our family was living in Indiana. I didn't want a big wedding and knew if we went the traditional route people would have to travel regardless of the location. So a destination wedding seemed to be a great alternative. We only invited a few family members (parents /siblings). I couldn't imagine inviting a lot of people to the event and expecting them to pay for all the costs associated with travel and lodging. I'm glad we did the destination wedding even though my mom was not happy. But I think my dad was thrilled because he didn't have to spend money toward a traditional wedding.
Old 06-19-20, 11:53 PM  
VainJane

I love to travel, but I need to stick to a budget each year, so I would only go to a destination wedding if it's somewhere I wanted to visit and could combine with a vacation. Disney World is definitely not one of those places, so I would send my "regrets".
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 07:28 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

My son and his wife had a destination wedding 3 years ago in Destin, FL. We're in Ohio so no one had to fly if they didn't want to. It was mainly family and few of their close friends. My husband and I, and the bride's parents split the cost of a HUGE house (I couldn't count all the bedrooms) for everyone to stay in. That was their wedding present. All in all, it probably came out the same cost wise for us. While it was nice and we had a good time, I never liked the idea and was a little put off when they told us about their plans.

I think though some of their friends would not have come if they had to pay for their own lodging.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 07:45 AM  
BigBadBetty

None of my family lives in my state. If I had a wedding here, they would incur travel costs. So it may be even cheaper for them if I had a destination wedding somewhere they could get cheap flights. I've never been married so I have no skin in the game.

I think people (both the hosts and guests) should remember that an invitation is not a summons. If you do have a destination wedding, don't be insulted that people necessarily afford the vacation time or money to go. I know if there is no way I would go to the Disney area during the time between Xmas and New Year's or spring break.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-20, 08:47 AM  
ncl

I think if it was a good, close friend or a family member, I would try to do it, but it's hard for me to imagine that anyone having a destination wedding would expect you to be there. it is a lot to ask in terms of expense. It seems like if it is a destination wedding that would be more optional? I think a lot would depend the relationship and how close you are.

I did not have a destination wedding but my husband grew up across the pond and we had relatives that flew transatlantic to be at our wedding, which I totally appreciated! That was a huge expense for them. Thankfully most of them really like to travel. If any of them had chosen not to come, I would have understood!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wedding