Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-20, 04:06 PM  
BamaTanya

Question Any ideas to keep my cats from shredding my workout flooring?

I have Mexican tiles in my only possible workout space. Hard and uneven. Not good for working out. I don't want -- and can't afford -- to remove the tiles or replace them.
I purchased interlocking floor mats, but, I know from experience, my cats will think it's a gift to them.
Is there any way to make the mats less attractive to their claws?
Added: an area rug wouldn't have enough padding to "even out" the clay tiles.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 06:05 PM  
Vantreesta

I don't have cats, and my dogs have never been problematic with puzzle mats, but I have a carpet remnant covering the mats. Might that be an option for you?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 08:33 PM  
Kitten

Honesty, the best solution I came up with is putting down the mats before I worked out and picking them back up afterwards.
It doesn't take up that much time.

My sweet boys are feral, others might have better suggestions for more domestic, tamer cats.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 08:52 PM  
Mickey12

Cats are tough. Worth every bit of it, but tough. I agree that probably the best options are to either pick them up when you're done, or cover them with something - a remnant as suggested, maybe a couple of larger throw rugs? If you're going to cover them with something, I would probably try to anchor the covering so the cats can't just slip under them and destroy the mats anyway.

I have to keep my yoga blocks and foam rollers put away in cabinets and closets because one of my cats just won't leave them alone. He ate part of my yoga block and had to have surgery to remove the pieces from his stomach. They're buggers.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 09:49 PM  
bubbles76

Could you soak the mats in some scent that the cats found offensive (but wasn't offensive to you), let them dry up, and then safely use the mats? Or maybe spray the cat offensive scent underneath the puzzle mats while you were working out?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-20, 10:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I have to keep my yoga blocks and foam rollers put away in cabinets and closets because one of my cats just won't leave them alone. He ate part of my yoga block and had to have surgery to remove the pieces from his stomach. They're buggers.
Kim
Ate part of the yoga block? Yipes!! Glad he's ok.

I have to put away all my blocks, roller and mat right away too.

I don't have the puzzle mats but I would probably try attaching an area rug/blanket attached to a dowel rod to roll over and off as needed.

Let us know if you find something that works!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 07:13 AM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

I have cats... and the same issue. I use puzzle mats but have a area rug (Firm style) over the puzzle mats. They still get the edges of the puzzle mats but my workout area is safe.
KaeLaVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 09:23 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Ate part of the yoga block? Yipes!! Glad he's ok.

I have to put away all my blocks, roller and mat right away too.

I don't have the puzzle mats but I would probably try attaching an area rug/blanket attached to a dowel rod to roll over and off as needed.

Let us know if you find something that works!
Linda, he was fine thankfully. I’m glad I noticed him actually eating it. Before that I thought he was just clawing at it and pulling it apart. I have a really cute picture of him laying on his back with his belly all shaved after the surgery. Gotta love them.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 09:39 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I have this problem! Bought new ones not too long ago, they looked great for about 2 days then started being destroyed. I put rugs over them for a while but then I got lazy and stopped. Now I just let them have at it. Mine are in the basement so the unsightliness doesn't bother me too much.

Sorry, I know I'm no help, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor mats, flooring, puzzle mats