Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-19, 04:50 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
I'm looking at Gxmmat cardio mats and am wondering how thick they are - if there is enough cushioning for plyos, HiiT, Cathe. I've read reviews that someone put puzzle mats underneath for more cushion. Do you find the cardio mat has enough cushioning for a hardwood floor? We just got hardwoods so I'm trying to find a mat that will have enough cushioning, be easy to move, etc. I'm using a puzzle mat temporarily but they slide too much. Thanks for any advice!
I use mine over carpeting and do not do high impact. I am sorry I cannot help with your questions.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 06:44 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post
I'm looking at Gxmmat cardio mats and am wondering how thick they are - if there is enough cushioning for plyos, HiiT, Cathe. I've read reviews that someone put puzzle mats underneath for more cushion. Do you find the cardio mat has enough cushioning for a hardwood floor? We just got hardwoods so I'm trying to find a mat that will have enough cushioning, be easy to move, etc. I'm using a puzzle mat temporarily but they slide too much. Thanks for any advice!
They are supposed to work well for that kind of exercise.
Since I have very sensitive knees and joints, I added a light rug grip padding underneath just to give it a bit more give and it feels lively and cushioned to me when I do the small amount of high impact, light jumping, etc I do. Were I to do a lot more high impact, I would probably opt for the same size yoga mat to use underneath for extra cushioning. I use my cardio mat over hardwood floors (that have cement underneath) and this is the rug grip I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe the website lists the cardio mat as 7mm thick. And with or without the added rug grip the cardio mat does NOT move at all on my floor.

ETA - You asked about how easy it is to move. My husband rolls it up several times a week and takes it in and out of the room (our exercise room doubles as his yoga studio so portability was important). No problem.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-19, 10:26 PM  
bfit

I got one of the Square mats recently based on the first posts in this thread because I'd been looking for a high impact cardio mat for quite a while and couldn't find anything just right. It's much better than puzzle mats and things like that, but it could be a little cushier for me. On the other hand, I'm exercising on a very hard floor (hard rubber on top of concrete), and I'm over 60.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 05:30 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Square 36 used to sell a double thickness version. I would've splurged on that but I never got a reply from the company about its availability, so I went with GxmMat.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 05:50 AM  
Carol K

I have the large Square 36 mat and it's the only thing in the house my cats DON'T ruin. It's definitely too big and heavy to roll up and put away every day, so my office is also my exercise room and it just stays there. I have it on top of an area rug on top of a wood floor. I use it for impact cardio, yoga and everything else. My husband cleans it with a large lint roller with a handle that he found on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
This may be the one you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Square36-Extr...ords=square+36

Please note it weighs thirty pounds, so it might be a pain to roll it up if you can't leave it out.

I'd love one that size, but I have nowhere to leave it out. My cats would ruin it. I bought one that is six foot by five foot. It is enough space for the dance cardio so far.
Old 03-28-19, 12:40 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
They are supposed to work well for that kind of exercise.
Since I have very sensitive knees and joints, I added a light rug grip padding underneath just to give it a bit more give and it feels lively and cushioned to me when I do the small amount of high impact, light jumping, etc I do. Were I to do a lot more high impact, I would probably opt for the same size yoga mat to use underneath for extra cushioning. I use my cardio mat over hardwood floors (that have cement underneath) and this is the rug grip I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe the website lists the cardio mat as 7mm thick. And with or without the added rug grip the cardio mat does NOT move at all on my floor.

ETA - You asked about how easy it is to move. My husband rolls it up several times a week and takes it in and out of the room (our exercise room doubles as his yoga studio so portability was important). No problem.
Thanks for the tips and information! It's very helpful and appreciated!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor mats, flooring, gorilla mat, mats, workout mat