Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-19, 10:41 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
Good to know about these! I've looked at them before because Jessica Smith uses something similar. Just haven't done it. YET.

. I am waiting for my Amazon Visa reward points to post on 2/13. My 50th birthday is on 2/25, so I think this will be my gift to myself. I think...I am still debating.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-19, 10:42 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

oooh... the big birthday! WOOT!

I'd splurge for your birthday, too! Sounds like a wonderful idea.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-19, 10:45 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
oooh... the big birthday! WOOT!

I'd splurge for your birthday, too! Sounds like a wonderful idea.
Thanks! At least it is good for my health. It will be so nice to do cardio on a better surface than thick carpeting, which is lousy for kickboxing and dance.

Old 01-25-19, 03:50 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Good to know about these! I've looked at them before because Jessica Smith uses something similar. Just haven't done it. YET.
I think Jessica may use the brand Square 36. I had contacted them with the same questions as Gorilla mats, and they never responded. However, they have a cardio mat that comes in PINK if anyone is interested in getting a mat that color. I think I will stick with Gorilla mats since they responded quickly to my questions. They are a family owned business and I like supporting that.

Gorilla mats come in black, navy and gray.

Sherry

Old 01-25-19, 08:14 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, I have the Square36 mat; DH got it for me for Christmas several years ago. I have it on low-profile (Berber-type) carpet. It doesn't slide when I'm using it, but over time it does shift an inch or two, so once a month or so I just tug it back to where I want it. I do everything on the mat. It doesn't show indents when weights have been sitting on it awhile, but I don't leave anything on it permanently.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-19, 08:25 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sherry, I have the Square36 mat; DH got it for me for Christmas several years ago. I have it on low-profile (Berber-type) carpet. It doesn't slide when I'm using it, but over time it does shift an inch or two, so once a month or so I just tug it back to where I want it. I do everything on the mat. It doesn't show indents when weights have been sitting on it awhile, but I don't leave anything on it permanently.
Beth, thanks so much. I am glad to get feedback from someone who has used this type of mat. I am.still debating. Was there a break in period for the mat? Some reviews said it was slippery at first. That makes me nervous since I am a klutz The reviews for Gorilla mats did not mention them being slippery.

Old 01-25-19, 08:51 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, no, there was no break-in period, and it's not slippery. I think DH did wipe it down, mainly to get off the dust for shipping. I often using it for yoga without an additional mat on top--although that being said, it's not as grippy as a sticky mat.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-19, 09:11 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you, Beth. I don't need it to be grippy since I have multiple yoga mats.

I also found this brand on Amazon called Gxmmat. It has positive reviews and they offer a six foot by five foot mat for the same price other brands charge for a 6 by 4 foot mat. I need to see if the six by five will even fit. It would be nice to have that extra foot of space. This is getting hard to decide. I wrote them to ask about if it shifts on carpeting.

Sherry

Old 02-15-19, 03:31 PM  
sherry7899

I ended up buying the Gxmmat. I have hauled it upstairs and rolled it out.
I am going to try it tonight or tomorrow mornibg. It needs to flatten out a little.

I did a test of doing some grapevines and it did not shift at all The cushioning feels great. I was on it with and without shoes.

I thought six feet by five feet would seem like a larger area, but I am still very happy with it. The next size up would not fit anyway.

Old 02-15-19, 06:10 PM  
sherry7899

I tried some of a Misty Tripoli workout, and it did shift around a little.

My solution was to roll back the area rug, and lay the mat back down over the non slip rug pad that was under the area rug. It is something like this:

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/sim...d-hcy5709.html

The non slip rug mat is smaller than the cardio mat, but it's enough to work. I bet old yoga mats might even work.

That seemed to keep it in place. The real test will be kickboxing and Soul Sweat and other higher intensity dance workouts.

I really like the cushioning. It feels wonderful!

Tags
floor mats, flooring, gorilla mat, mats