Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-18, 12:34 PM  
owltx

exercise room flooring

I am trying to decide what type of flooring to put down in my exercise space. The current flooring is bamboo, and this would go down over it. I have read through the various reviews on vf regarding what people like (or don't). I want something with some cushion for jumping, that won't shift around on me during step workouts, that won't snag me up during pivots, and that is fairly durable when I drop weights.

It looks like a great deal of people like the Great Mats (something like thishttps://www.greatmats.com/rubber-floor-tiles/interlocking-rubber-flooring-tile-black.php). For those of you that have interlocking flooring: a) does it move around on you b)does it curl up on the edges over time and c)if it is a rubber surface, how does that surface do for cardio w/turns or pivots?

I am leaning toward these rolls - https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/vi...ct%20Flooring#!, because then I think I would not have to worry so much about pieces coming apart, etc. However, I think the installation on these might be really tough. I don't have a heat welder. Not sure heavy duty tape would be "enough" to join the rolls. There would be at least one seam.

Does any have any words of wisdom or lessons learned they could share?

Thanks in advance,
Old 06-21-18, 06:52 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I was where you are with flooring several years ago. I bought these http://www.rubbercal.com/rubber-mat/...ing-tiles.html. They do have a seam but for my space I only needed eight of them. Four are plenty big enough for my cardio needs. My power cage sits on the other four. Because these mats are 5/8s" thick they are softer than mats that are only a quarter inch thick. A quarter inch isn't really enough to give much cushion. What makes these mats more shock absorbent is the nubs in the back of it. They allow the mats to give under my feet which helps with impact a lot.

They are plenty thick so if I drop a weight or kettlebell no damage happens to the floor underneath. I did buy two precut rolls of anti-fatigue matting at Lowes and put them underneath my rubber mats just to add extra cushion. I have a permanent back issue so impact is a big problem for me.

Because they are 3x3, there are seams but there are a lot less of them than the one foot squares. They stay interlocked with no problem at all. They were a little tricky to get locked together but ones hooked up they stay. One small section has come up a bit but I just need to get my husband to help fasten it back (he helped put it in), but the rest of the seams are flat as could be. Also these don't need any special equipment to install just pressure and strength.

I don't find them overly grippy on my feet but I do use some care when pivoting. I would think we all should do that anyway so as not to wrench our knees by accident. But I can do Body Jams (Les Mills dance workouts) on my flooring with little to no modifications. I can mop it too if it gets too sweaty.

I can't use sliders on the rubber though. I don't think any rubber flooring would allow for sliders. I use my sliders off to one side of my mats where they can slide on my hardwood floor. I think you could roll out a fabric rug too and slide with the carpet slide of the sliders too but I haven't tried that yet.

I highly recommend getting some samples of flooring that interests you. Rubber Cal will send you some free which allows you to get a feel for what the mat would be like. I did that before I decided on the mats I got. Even if you don't buy mats from them, they still are a source of samples within reason. I picked the four I was most interested in. So that's my two cents. Hopefully others will chime in with theirs.

Carla
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 08:57 PM  
bfit

This is a recommendation of what not to do. About a year ago we tore the old stained carpet out of the exercise room (a room behind our garage) and put in a recycled rubber floor; it consists of smallish tiles that were glued into place, and the seams don't show. The floor store told us this was the flooring used in gyms and fitness centers. Well, it's so hard that I can't do any high impact on it at all, and it's also sticky for turns and such. I can't even do grape vines on it. It's very durable, and unfortunately, I think it will last forever. Beware of rubber!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 10:54 PM  
Fitstick

I was also very close to putting in a rubber flooring a few years ago and instead went with an industrial type carpet that is very smooth. It’s easy to workout on, durable, and not hard on the feet or knees. You can find it in a variety of colors at Home Depot. I also debated hardwood but was concerned about the hardness of it.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-18, 11:12 PM  
carly

What is the substrate under your bamboo (wood?) floor? ie "slab on grade" in a basement or "wood joist" on an upper floor.)
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 08:31 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I was also very close to putting in a rubber flooring a few years ago and instead went with an industrial type carpet that is very smooth. It’s easy to workout on, durable, and not hard on the feet or knees. You can find it in a variety of colors at Home Depot. I also debated hardwood but was concerned about the hardness of it.
Same here. I am partial to carpet. I like the cushioning it provides and it is also cheaper. It has been a few years now since we put in a good, tough carpet with good padding. It has held up and still looks brand new. My step bench has always stayed in place. The cost to do rubber flooring was too expensive for the amount of use it would get. I just couldn't justify it. I also questioned how it would affect my knees with all the jumping I do. It also makes the basement room look more "homey." Just my opinion.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 09:02 AM  
owltx

Wow, thanks so much you guys! This is all very helpful!

Carla-

I had NO idea they made the jigsaw type pieces that big - that would actually go a long way towards combating some of the slippage and seam problems I am worried about. And great advice regarding the extra anti-fatigue matting. I definitely want some cushion. Rubber Cal has lots of great choices. And, thanks for the tip about the samples - a great idea.
Old 06-22-18, 09:05 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
This is a recommendation of what not to do. About a year ago we tore the old stained carpet out of the exercise room (a room behind our garage) and put in a recycled rubber floor; it consists of smallish tiles that were glued into place, and the seams don't show. The floor store told us this was the flooring used in gyms and fitness centers. Well, it's so hard that I can't do any high impact on it at all, and it's also sticky for turns and such. I can't even do grape vines on it. It's very durable, and unfortunately, I think it will last forever. Beware of rubber!
Oof, bfit, that sucks. I was worried about the hardness of the rubber - I think as several posters have noted cushioning is key. I will definitely take Carla's advice and put down some kind of anti-fatigue matting under whatever choice I end up with. Do you think you could lay down anything on top of yours to make it more bearable (something with cushion and more "slip" on the surface?)
Old 06-22-18, 09:09 AM  
owltx

Quote:
I do love carpet; that is what I currently work out on and have for years, really. But we are putting up a wall and a door in our "dining area" to make a workout area (*squeal!*)/game room. The current flooring is planked bamboo that runs all the way to the other end of the living room (and beyond). So I really don't want to pull that up. I was just thinking of some kind of flooring I could make a square or a rectangle on top of the bamboo for space for my step workouts and jumping. I don't really want to be doing a lot of high impact on that bamboo. So . . . .
Old 06-22-18, 09:10 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Agreed - as I said above, I was hoping for something I could lay out on top of the current hardwood. I could try for a patch of carpet on top of an anti-fatigue mat. The rubbergrips on the anti-fatigue mat could keep it from slipping around maybe.

Tags
floor mats, flooring