Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-10, 07:34 AM  
horsemom2

rebounding tips

I had posted these rebounding tips in the Kathy Smith Kettlebell System thread and thought maybe those not interested in that thread but new to rebounding, especially thanks to Kohls UR clearance, may appreciate some tips. This is NOT a criticism of the Urban Rebounder jumping style, just some rebounding tips that may help those who aren't enjoying the UR style or rebounding in general, no matter what model rebounder is available to them.

There is no right or wrong way to bounce.
The best instructor for how to bounce is your own body.
Just carefully try different movements and continue to do what feels right.
Never completely leaving the mat (healthbouncing)
or if leaving the mat:
landing on the front of the foot (UR),
landing on the heel (Fitprime),
or landing flatfooted (most comfortable for me).
Your body can adjust to any rebounder and each body is different.
If your feet pronate inwards on your particular mat, make an effort to keep them upright and straighter.
Try no shoes, try different shoes, etc.
A mirror can really help with balance and staying centered.
I personally prefer no skirt on the rim to catch the foot.

Best way to warmup is healthbouncing or pulsing, keeping at least part of one foot on the mat, never going completely airborne.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiWsa...eature=related
if link doesn't work look for Blanche Black's Smart Bounce part 2 on you tube.

Try any movement that doesn't require a lot of space staying close to the mat. Anything can be done in place with alittle tweaking including Walking workouts, Gilad cardio, Boxing, and my current favorite Fitstix
There are probably dozens of workouts in your collection right now you can breathe new life into. You bought them and can use them however you like.
Once you feel in control you can always add more impact if desired.
And remember to increase intensity, you can just add in more upper body and core, even using light weights or bands.
Whatever Leslie does on the floor, you can do on the rebounder and you can easily add intensity by jogging,high knee run, fast feet football drill, jumping jacks, etc.whenever you want.

Hope that helps.
and for those who love Urban Rebounding, maybe, just maybe, you'll find other ways to move on a rebounder that will be fun too plus, more gentle on the joints.

Barb S
who believes Kathy Smith never made a rebounding workout but her Matrix Walk, March to Fitness, Rejuvenating Walk and several others are great on the rebounder!
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 07:42 AM  
horsemom2

and of course, I left out something:
if your feet pronate in the center of the mat, can try just keeping your feet farther apart from one another.

Barb S
who will probably remember other tips throughout the day(s)
and hopes others will too
Old 02-20-10, 07:57 AM  
ooty

Quote:
and for those who love Urban Rebounding, maybe, just maybe, you'll find other ways to move on a rebounder that will be fun too plus, more gentle on the joints.
Hmm Barb, I have been thinking that as long as jumping is on the rebounder, no joint issues. Now I have to rethink.

Also, I looked at the link you sent and I think the UR mat is so hard that it feels different doing the health bounce.. the one in the video makes it look more soft and fun.
Old 02-20-10, 08:43 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooty View Post
Hmm Barb, I have been thinking that as long as jumping is on the rebounder, no joint issues. Now I have to rethink.

Also, I looked at the link you sent and I think the UR mat is so hard that it feels different doing the health bounce.. the one in the video makes it look more soft and fun.
Try it cuz healthbouncing works on all mats and I have had 6 different rebounder models/mats!

Barb S
whose hips do not like pounding into the mat even on the ReboundAIR and UR
Old 02-20-10, 08:54 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Barb, thanks for the tips and the video (and for starting a new thread ). I got out my little-used Yogflex yesterday for Walk It Out, and tried the "heavy" sort of jogging they do in the UR videos. I soon found that lighter healthbouncing works much better on the stiff Yogflex.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 10:17 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Thanks Barb, for the rebounding tips! But, could you clarify one thing? Do you mean that the UR is harder on the joints, than other models of rebounders? I have a UR, and this is the only model of rebounder I have ever had. I am curious though, since you have had several to compare to, you are obiviously a good judge of this.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 11:53 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
Thanks Barb, for the rebounding tips! But, could you clarify one thing? Do you mean that the UR is harder on the joints, than other models of rebounders? I have a UR, and this is the only model of rebounder I have ever had. I am curious though, since you have had several to compare to, you are obiviously a good judge of this.

Sherry
actually the UR was surprisingly more gently on the joints than my ReboundAIR with a more flexible mat! It is just the jumping style of pounding into the mat over and over again that my hips do not like on any mat or model. Love the UR for Athletic cardio! Of course I haven't tried jumping down into the mat on the very expensive bungee rebounder, the ReboundAIR being my highest priced model.
The UR, itself, is a wonderful rebounder. Its only shortcoming is its mat's diameter is definitely smaller than most. If I want more room and less impact, I use the YogFlex but most days, I would rather take smaller steps on the UR so I can high knee jog and do other higher impact stuff with its very nice bounce. Luckily, my son likes the ReboundAIR so it isn't a dust collector and it is in our high ceiling living room so I healthbounce on it a bit every time I walk by it. The UR and YogFlex are in the basement workout area with a low ceiling. I gave away the first Walmart model which was ok but had a too flexible mat like the ReboundAIR but too small a diameter like the UR. A very flexible mat makes balancing much more difficult. Also gave away The Body By Jake which had a huge diameter but was really stiff. Still have the Bodyburner which is smaller and stiffer than the YogFlex but leave it in its tilted position for tossing a medball on it, lunges and ramp workouts.

Barb S
who may spring for a bungee one day if both my YogFlex and UR become damaged
Old 02-20-10, 01:09 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I don't know if this is pertinent or not (I hope I spelled that correctly), but I have been rebounding since 1986--I just put moves I had done in floor aerobics on the rebounder, discovered interval training on my own due to the heavy metal music I jumped to, but when I tried Urban Rebounding workouts, I hurt my hip flexors trying to jump their way & get a workout out of it. I much prefer using my heels? hamstrings & glutes to take the landing--kind of like Tracie Long's G-Force. I just wanted to give people warning about what happened to me with UR workouts.

On the other hand, I have had a UR rebounder for some years now, after going through lots of cheaper rebounders--breaking & replacing the springs (I had a bag of springs I had collected from rebounders, & it's hard to replace those springs, took a lot of muscle.)

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 01:58 PM  
horsemom2

Jennifer,

Sharing whatever is pertinent to you would be pertinent to somebody else!
Sounds like we have come to many of the same conclusions.

Sometimes it is hard to post what many would find different than their own experiences, making it sound critical of what they prefer but still others need to hear about all options so they can decide what is best for themselves which may even change over the years. I get a bit frustrated when some seem to think that rebounding begins and ends with Urban Rebounding. Folks who give up on rebounding because they do not like Urban Rebounding workouts are really missing out on a lot of fun as well as benefits.
Here is a clip showing healthbouncing standing without a rebounder
(and remember, sitting on a stability ball and bouncing is also great!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOz-1GdRCs4&feature=fvw

Barb S
who believes the best way to exercise is to do whatever each individual prefers to do, mentally and physically.
Old 02-20-10, 07:10 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Thanks Barb for your ideas, and comments about rebounding/rebounders. You too, Jennifer. I agree, with you Barb about UR workouts. I ordered all of the compilations, and I have only did a couple of them. I dont really like them. I prefer to jog in front of the tv. I have also used my UR to modify several of my high impact workouts, thanks to some of the tips I have read here! That is really valuable to me, especially for some of Cathe's workouts, that I love, but otherwise could not use anymore, due to the impact on my feet.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebounder, rebounding, urban rebounder, yogflex