Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-20, 10:15 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Cool thread.

Jumping jacks? Have always hated them but truly enjoy the low impact version.

Burpees? Hate them, hate them, hate them. I'd rather jog in place to keep my heart rate up than do those.

Another thing I've always hated - I figure there's a time to be standing upright, and a time to be on the floor. But when an instructor has you going up and down like that throughout the workout, I find it really annoying. Guess I'm of the old school where you left your "floorwork" towards the end of a workout rather than interspersed in between. Just my little issue.

Oh yeah, forgot about those pushups with your hands on your dumbbells - so not happening. And go figure, I love doing pushups!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 09:43 AM  
cailleach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri1222 View Post
Another thing I've always hated - I figure there's a time to be standing upright, and a time to be on the floor. But when an instructor has you going up and down like that throughout the workout, I find it really annoying. Guess I'm of the old school where you left your "floorwork" towards the end of a workout rather than interspersed in between. Just my little issue.
Terri

This! It annoys me to do HIIT cardio then expect to go on the floor with high heart rate?! Don't I get a cool down first? Oh wait, more HIIT after that?!
Perhaps it's the 'able to get up/down' part of the routine?
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 10:44 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailleach View Post
This! It annoys me to do HIIT cardio then expect to go on the floor with high heart rate?! Don't I get a cool down first? Oh wait, more HIIT after that?!
Perhaps it's the 'able to get up/down' part of the routine?
I'm sure there may be other reasons but from what I understand it's part of the efficiency of the workout. You maintain your heart rate at that higher level while engaging different areas of your body. By not letting your heart rate lower while exercising, you continue to burn calories after your session ends. You also are working on cardio endurance while you strengthen. Something you can't do very well with isolation strength exercises.

ETA: Someone asked earlier why do hinged strength moves or leaning over. It's usually to let gravity aid you in focusing on the area you're targeting. So engaging your abs in a healthy back would be bonus. But you can usually do all those moves leaning over a stability ball or lying on an inclined weight bench, too. I always get disappointed when they don't offer that option because LOTS of people have low back issues.

Benefits of burpees
The 7 Most Dreaded Exercises on the Planet ... and Why They're Good for You
https://www.healthline.com/health/dreaded-exercises-and-why-they-are-good-for-you#:~:text=1.,Burpees&text=Despite%20her%20client s'%20whining%2C%20Badila,that%20work%20the%20same% 20muscles.

Purpose aside, if I don't wanna or it makes me dizzy on any given day, I reserve the right to say nope!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 10:51 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I just remembered another one I no longer do after learning my lesson (ahem, catching my foot and flying sideways horizontally over my step, thus landing hard on hand/hip/knee ) and that is NEVER do two-foot jumps sideways or laterally onto/over the step. I hate those! I will face front only and jump onto and off of the step in a safer way, thank you very much!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 10:54 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Oh, yeah sure!
I could make a list -- how long do you have?
me too! There are some that just don't agree with me anymore.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 04:20 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
This thread is very enlightening. It never occurred to me that some people don’t like clapping.
I don't clap b/c I work out early in the morning with DH sleeping in the next room. A DVD (kept quiet) and normal moving around doesn't wake him, but clapping seems more intrusive and also unnecessary. I make a loose fist and "clap" it to my other hand to get the arm motion in.

I've suddenly remembered the URX series - I never would and never want to jump off my rebounder, thanks much. But I modified almost all of those workouts beyond recognition and almost never do them anymore.

I jump on my rebounder for tuck jumps and other plyo moves. I know they're good for my bones but ... I don't wanna.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 05:30 PM  
dianestjohn

Burpees and mountain climbers I dislike but will do until I feel like I can't do another one but I complain a lot to the instructor . I HATE renegade rows and refuse to do them - I put the weights next to my hands. I also really dislike triceps pushups with the elbows close to the body - I always feel an uncomfortable crunching feeling in the back of my ribcage when I do them no matter where I put my hands or how I try to adjust my elbows or shoulders.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 07:18 PM  
kat999

I FEEL SO VALIDATED! I don't clap or snap when they do, as I just feel like it's goofy. I will kind of move my hands toward each other but don't actually make the clapping sound.

I don't do burpees or mountain climbers and usually just sub in something else, pretty much whatever I feel like.

I don't love high impact and tend to modify down to something manageable if it's endless plyos or jumping jacks. I don't mind running in place, though, so sometimes I just swap that in.

The two things I simply canNOT do are planks for longer than a few seconds and pushups of almost any kind. For pushups, I swap in doing them more "box style" in a tabletop position, which I think is what the modifiers do in The FIRM's first Fanny Lifter vidoes and might also be what they do in the Basics series. I sprained my wrist a few years ago and that made it even more impossible for me to do pushups. I just have a very wimpy upper body, and while I've been able to increase my biceps strength over time, the way my body is constructed and where I carry more of my muscle is just completely counter to ever being able to do a "proper" pushup.

There are some other moves that I sometimes think are just dorky. Yesterday I did Tracie Long's Endurance for Movement and I decided I did not want to do the "Ali shuffle," so I just jogged in place.
Old 11-10-20, 09:20 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I FEEL SO VALIDATED! I don't clap or snap when they do, as I just feel like it's goofy. I will kind of move my hands toward each other but don't actually make the clapping sound.
That's pretty much what I do, in part b/c I don't want DH to hear.

Isn't it amazing that we by our complaining, we are validating each other?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 07:25 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I just remembered another one I no longer do after learning my lesson (ahem, catching my foot and flying sideways horizontally over my step, thus landing hard on hand/hip/knee ) and that is NEVER do two-foot jumps sideways or laterally onto/over the step. I hate those! I will face front only and jump onto and off of the step in a safer way, thank you very much!
These came up the other day (onto the step) in a Cathe workout with two risers on each side, and they made me so nervous!!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burpees, clapping