Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-20, 05:49 PM  
bfit

Personal Trainer or Physical Therapist or No One?

I am trying to recover from a foot injury and am making slow progress. My doctor referred me to physical therapy because she thought the PT could give some advice on healing, prescribe some rehab exercises, and give some advice on staying in shape (particularly the lower body) while recovering. I had one PT appointment that caused my injury to flare up, the PT had no advice on healing or lower body exercise, and my podiatrist said I should not do the PT exercises so I've quit PT. I can see a different PT who might have a different approach if I am willing to pay for it myself. I could also look for a personal trainer, but 0f course, I would pay for that myself too. Would either of these types of professionals be able to help me with what I'm looking for, or am I just on my own? I just want some guidance on what to do next and how to stay in shape.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 05:58 PM  
Gams

I would try physical therapy one more time with a different therapist. Do have people you can ask for a recommendation?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:09 PM  
bubbles76

I would try another physical therapist as well. Why did your podiatrist say not to do the PT exercises? Was it just to not do the ones the PT prescribed?

As for lower body work, anything by Margaret Richard. You can also try Strong Strides if you have that dvd. Both good for the lower body.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I would try physical therapy one more time with a different therapist. Do have people you can ask for a recommendation?
This.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:40 PM  
Mickey12

I don’t have any first-hand knowledge, but I have heard that trying a new therapist at a different facility can be like night and day. Some are just better than others. I think it’s worth trying another place before quitting. Good luck and I hope your foot heals soon.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:44 PM  
jordan

I agree with the other advice you've gotten. Make sure you discuss what you've tried and what resulted.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 07:12 PM  
Izzy

I also agree, see another therapist. But keep a few things I say in mind. I had knee replacement. At this facility we had PT, PTA's, and Personal Trainers with PT experience. I was assigned the Personal Trainer with PT experience. She was good. She works with a lot of knee patients from athletes to older people. Each time I went at the end of the session I did an ice therapy and a stem therapy which is basically me sitting on a table letting it work for me and me watching everyone else. Then I asked a ton of questions. "Why did he do that with her and you aren't doing it with me?" was probably my #1 question. My therapist replied "we all have different levels of experience and came from different education/training background. We also all have tools in our tool box for situations where the patient is not responding well to the therapy or the patient is not doing the exercises at home." It all makes a big difference she said. She said some of what I observed in others may not work for me because maybe my hamstrings are too tight, or my hips are too tight...etc etc. She constantly told me to tell her what felt good and what hurt. She did say I will go home in pain or very sore more often than not. But I need to continue my stretches at home on my own. That was the key. I would hear other patients say "that hurts." PT is going to hurt. And most of the time you have to give it time to work for you. But if you felt uncomfortable then try another therapist. Bottom line, it's not just stretching and pull this stretch that. I did come home most days in a lot of pain. But over time, and doing my exercises they gave me to do at home, I got better and stronger, of course until she went back into that tool box and found something else. But it was always a progression and that is what matters. I will be honest there were times when I was yelling it hurt. But I cannot lie,later, it always felt better. The therapist always talk to each other and ask for and give suggestions. When they run into roadblocks they are asking for help from someone else. I found this very refreshing. Other therapist would come to me and talk about what they are doing with certain patients and why, and why my therapist is doing what she does etc. Most of them liked my constant questions because they like to talk about what they do. The also told me they often turn patients over to other therapist because they know the patient might work better with someone else. Good luck.
Old 09-10-20, 09:42 PM  
DJ-H
VF Supporter

I agree with the PT approach. Did your doctor have a specific physical therapist or rehab center in mind? Perhaps he can recommend someone he has particuar confidence in. I've been in PT recently for rehab from rotator cuff surgery. My experience is much like what Izzy described.

I believe Pilates was developed to help dancers keep their legs in shape while recovering from an injury. Perhaps that would be helpful to you while you rehab your foot.

Best wishes.

"Even though you can't turn back the clock, you can wind it up again." Joan MacDonald
DJ-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 10:20 PM  
ncl

Every time I have had an issue, it has taken me several tries to find the right PT. I had a knee issue and went to 3 therapists and was really upset and getting hopeless, then the fourth one helped me and had a different approach to all the others. I was so relieved.

Some years later, I had a hip issue that became complicated and chronic and again went to 4 different PTs. The first 2 were not helpful. The third was very helpful in her specialized area then she referred me to the fourth one who helped me get all the way better over time. If not for these last 2, I think I would still be in pain today, but I am not. The fourth PT I went to is my go to PT now for any kind of tune up and I do pay out of pocket when I see him, but totally worth it. He is not one that ever has me come to see him two or three times a week either. He knows I will do what he asks me to do and is really good at what he does so going that often is unnecessary.

So obviously I vote to not give up on the PT. Try a few if you have to. I would not go to a personal trainer for this though.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 11:33 AM  
bfit

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. My problem with PT right now is that there is only one place covered by my insurance. The therapist there prescribed an exercise in which I pulled on a sore tendon in my foot with my hands which aggravated the injury. It was supposed to improve flexibility of my tendon, but I've since learned that you can't really stretch tendons anyway. She also had me rolling a hard rubber ball on the bone in the ball of my foot, and according to my podiatrist you should never roll right on a bone - especially that one. All of the other patients there were people older than I am (even though I am over 60) and to people who are not very active. I'm just kind of leery of PT at this point.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
physical therapist, physical therapy