Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-06-20, 06:36 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Moms of school-aged kids and tweenagers, June 2020

Hi Friends, starting up a June thread!

Thank you for your kind words, re: my mom. I know you both understand the hardness of it, and I appreciate your support. <3

We're trying to get back to normal after the funeral. I've had some good fasting success and I've dropped almost 5lbs! So I'm psyched. I feel better already and I've only been at it for 2 weeks.

I've been trying to get walks in with the dog, as usual, and mostly doing short barre3 and a few short bodyfit by Amy workouts on youtube. I can't get over how much material is available for free on youtube! Today I'm going to do a Physique57. I need to do some Melt method, too. I'm noticing I've been holding a lot of tension in my jaw since the stuff with my mom.

Tonya, I know what you mean about wanting to call--I keep thinking of things and making a mental note to tell mom about them.... then I realize I can't. It's awful. I am glad to hear it gets easier! My poor dad. He misses her so much. I'm so thankful I live nearby.

Pratima, my brother and SIL just put in an offer on a house in Chandler! I'm coming for you!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 05:11 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, I was reading over our thread from last month. Don't beat yourself up over the weight gain or anything else. I was just thinking today that in college, I was super skinny because stress led me to eat very little. I was wondering why that isn't the case now and then decided it doesn't matter, it just is what it is and to stop overthinking.

I suspect we could all use the freedom from overthinking at this point. I'm so sorry you lost your mom during this time. I fear the same will happen to DH or I and we haven't been able to see our parents this year.

Chandler is REALLY close to me! And that's where DS takes taekwondo so I'm there often. I'm so excited at the thought of meeting you! For the record, Tonya and I had a great time (I think!) when we met, and the DSs and kids all got along swimmingly.

So, I'm still unemployed and not really getting any better at it! I'm realizing that I can't do everything each day. I have to either sit here and apply for jobs, OR clean, OR do other projects. I'm still giving the kids a little list of required tasks each day. DS is very self-regulating, and is becoming quite the little chef.

DD got in trouble Monday for sneaking her tablet into bed and having it on and with her at 11 PM! I gave it back Friday morning and then took it and her laptop away again when I found her at her laptop last night at 11:30! And she had to get up for gymnastics.

The thought of getting a job while the school situation is up in the air is absolutely nerve-wracking, as is the thought of not getting a job.

On the positive side, I'm working out a lot! Managed to do a lap swim session this week and am hoping to keep doing that. It didn't get up to 120 yet Tonya, but I'm sure it's coming. This week is supposed to be a bit cooler.

How is everyone doing? Have you heard anything about school in the fall? Technically we'd start around July 25, but who knows.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 11:06 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I know, Pratima, I can't wait to finally meet you! They didn't get that house, but they're still looking. I think they are little freaked out. AZ is SOOO different from the east coast!

I just did a Physique 57 recorded live in studio workout from the on demand site. It was extremely hard. The weird thing is they cut it off at 57 minutes, and we were in the middle of an ab exercise! I was kind of irritated. I thought I'd get a nice stretch at the end, but no, I had to do my own. It was just sort of random.

DS1 just had his virtual moving on ceremony. He's done with sixth grade and on to middle school. Sigh.... it's just all so weird. Though I must say, I feel like we're saving a lot of time not driving around for these sorts of things!

We offered to get him special food to celebrate and my foodie son wanted, of all things, McDonalds. Good grief.
Old 06-10-20, 11:47 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, I was telling my DS yesterday about you moving out here and he said the same about it being so different. McDonald's! My son really wants Mexican street corn for his birthday but I have yet to learn how to make it. There's a restaurant nearby that has it but it's really expensive! He's getting pizza for his birthday.

I'm having a tough time this week. I'm feeling the strangeness of not working. DS had the nerve to say something last week about how I'm not doing a lot of cleaning (when we were talking about not having anyone come to clean for the foreseeable future) which is absolute BS. Of course he's asleep half the week, but does he seriously think the carpet is vacuuming itself??

I'm also weirdly tired. I did step up my workouts some and am doubling up some days (e.g. a run plus upper body) so I need more rest. I'm not getting up crazy early like before though so you'd think I'd feel OK.

DS's birthday is Sunday. We're having his two friends who came over a couple of weeks ago and the two neighbor boys (brothers) that my kids play with now come over for pizza and water balloons. That's way more than DD got.

Overall though we're still just home most of the time other than DD going to gymnastics. AZ reopened about a month ago and of course the percentage of positive COVID cases has increased.

I am applying for jobs but limiting it to three days a week and haven't gotten any calls yet. Fingers crossed that this all works out somehow! We still haven't heard anything from schools and technically we'd open around July 25 normally.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 06-10-20, 01:56 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends,

Pratima, my family and I loved hanging out with you and your family!! I'm jealous and happy that you and Stephanie will be able to get together

Good luck with your job search! I'm sorry you are feeling so tired. I bet the stress of the whole world situation and losing your job is very draining.
Ugh, it's so annoying to be criticized for not cleaning enough. It just feels like a waste of my time, since DH and the kids immediately undo whatever I just did. Over the weekend, I shampooed the carpets on the ground floor. I picked up all the toys, moved all the furniture, vacuumed, shampooed, brought up fans, let it dry, vacuumed again, and put the furniture back. The very day it was done, DH laid out a big, visibly dirty cardboard box for DS to breakdance on - right on the clean carpet! I am in a mood of trying to declutter, organize, and deep clean, but I do not stay in that mood long-term since it sometimes feels like such a losing battle.

Happy birthday to DS! I hope he has fun. Is DD upset that she had to have a quarantine birthday? We are letting DD go to a sleepover tomorrow for her friend's birthday (just the two of them). Both of our families have been distancing since March. Hopefully neither of us infects the other. The girls don't know yet, and will probably be ecstatic to see each other!

DH is having knee surgery on Friday. He has a torn ACL and damage to his meniscus and some other stuff in there. He had hurt it years ago, so some of the damage is probably old. I hope everything will go smoothly!

Our school district sent an email outlining their plan for the coming year. They are preparing for a variety of situations. I think it was: maybe everyone can come to school, but anyone who doesn't want to/is at high risk/has family at high risk, etc... can have equivalent distance learning. Maybe the kids will go to school half-time and learn from home half-time, so that the schools are less crowded. Maybe everyone will do distance learning and they will figure out how to provide chromebooks and internet access to all who need it. Pratima, I hope you hear something soon! I'm sure it is hard for them to plan with so many unknowns! And it is hard for the parents to plan when they don't know what school will look like.

I finally did Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps (STS) after I was done cleaning the carpets. That cleaning was enough of a workout for a couple days Then yesterday I was exhausted. I can only workout hard every two or three days, and have to be really low-key on the other days, it seems. Next up is Legs. I like this phase of STS. It's around 12 reps, heavy weights, not too many sets or reps for any body part.

Stephanie, how annoying that your workout cut off before it was done! That reminds me of my niece, who would be forced to read for 20 minutes. She would slam that book shut at exactly 20 minutes, even if she was in the middle of a sentence. Time Was Up.
I feel the same relief that I don't have to shuttle my kids to a bunch of activities, but also a sense of regret that this summer is so lacking in activities. I am debating letting them join a lacrosse team. It starts in July, so I have a while to see how things are going. I reserved a spot for us to go to the zoo in a couple weeks. They are limiting how many people can go in, and you have to all go the same direction rather than milling around. I hope that since it is outside, it will minimize risk. We have a membership, so it didn't cost anything more than what we already paid. If I chicken out or have more information that makes me change my mind, we don't have to go.

I hope everyone is doing well today!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 08:58 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaK View Post
That reminds me of my niece, who would be forced to read for 20 minutes. She would slam that book shut at exactly 20 minutes, even if she was in the middle of a sentence. Time Was Up.
So much for the joy of reading!

I'm sorry to hear about your carpets. That would make me crazy. I think that's part of what I'm disliking about everyone being home--the house is messier, dirtier and even when it does get neat/clean, it doesn't last long.

I'm really trying to keep my boys off screens. My friend turned me on to this online camp called Camp Kinda. They provide activities to do each day. They all involve screens to some degree. I don't think my younger one, in particular, has the motivation to do the activities on his own, but I might try a few days of it to see if I can get them used to it.

Pratima, I'm so sorry you're dealing with out of work issues amidst all that's going on! It's so rough. I hope you find something soon. You are certainly experienced!

I just did a 20 minute bodyfit by amy kettlebell workout on youtube. So fun for a change! I did a 30 minute Physique 57 yesterday, and a barre3 the day before. I thought the barre3 was just going to be 30 minutes (I didn't pay attention, most are 30 minutes) but it turned out to be 45.

We had glorious weather over the weekend so I spent a lot of time outside. So thankful! It will get nasty quickly, so we need to enjoy it while we can!

Today is a fast day, so I'm trying to stay out of the kitchen. I really need to teach DS1 to cook so I don't have to do it everyday anymore! I think we might work through an America's Test Kitchen cookbook. I need to off-load some of my jobs!
Old 06-30-20, 01:06 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, I thought of you multiple times in the past few days as I cleaned and DH kept making messes. He and the kids do help clean, but seriously, I cleaned the bathroom and then he brought an old bike tire in there and it shed rubber everywhere. Like RIGHT after I cleaned!

Stephanie, have your kids tried that camp? All of the ones I've attempted have backfired. DS will do Peloton workouts. I signed him up for a chess camp that started yesterday. It was super-beginner though so he quit.

Yesterday was such an icky day. We planned a camping trip (the kids' first) for this weekend. Slowly things got canceled--parade, fireworks, race. Then things at the campground (we picked a KOA to make things easier) also closed--playground, no fires, etc. Yesterday the governor ordered bars, gyms, and pools to close. It's random and probably not effective and I suspect more business will close.

Anyway, we canceled the trip. I'd also ordered new Kindle Fire tablets for the kids and couldn't get them to work after half a day wrestling with them. And school has been delayed to August 17, though it may start online sooner. Our district seems to have done nothing other than maybe hope this will all be over soon.

I am still working out! I've done well, doubling up here and there. I try to do 3 runs, one Peloton cycle, and three weight workouts per week. I also take the kids swimming at the neighbor's house and that's more tiring than you would think!

I did get an email today that I've moved to the second stage of a job interview, so good news there. Still waiting to hear back from the other one.

Oh and the gymnastics place is still open for now. DD is there. That may change soon.

Old 07-02-20, 10:12 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends! I started a new thread for July
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote