Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-12, 11:31 PM  
lila_says

Hunter gatherer clue to obesity

Hmmmm..... I'm not sure this tells us too much & I'm definitely going to stay a fitness nut but.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18985141
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 11:50 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

"This to me says that the big reason that Westerners are getting fat is because we eat too much - it's not because we exercise too little," said Dr Pontzer.
Well, gee whiz I could've told them that!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 01:06 AM  
lila_says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
"This to me says that the big reason that Westerners are getting fat is because we eat too much - it's not because we exercise too little," said Dr Pontzer.
Well, gee whiz I could've told them that!
lol, I know, I know. I still thought I should share though
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 02:18 AM  
CarlaShanti

"Daily energy expenditure might be an evolved trait that has been shaped by evolution and is common among all people and not some simple reflection of our diverse lifestyles."

What a shock! Thanks for posting, good to know that science is catching up with common knowledge.

Why in the world would anyone think hunter-gatherers had a different metabolic rate than sedentary Westerners? tsk
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 06:53 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

None of that information is new. It's what happens inside your body that causes you to burn fat. I've read many books, articles and websites that support the BBC article - not to mention having taken a nutrition class that taught those principles. The article supports all the latest studies, but they make it sound like they've made an earth shattering discovery!

Exercise is for fitness - eating to cause your body to burn fat is for weight loss. The two go together.

The Firm book way back in the 90s said diet is the key - and they sell exercise!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 07:08 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

I think the study is useful because there is a view around that the main reason for the obesity epidemic is changes in activity levels over human history. Both food and activity changes since hunter-gatherer times have to be important, but a lot of researchers thought activity trumped food. Think of all the discussions of how children don't play outside anymore, and even of things like remote controls - there's an emphasis on how sedentary most people have become. And it sort of makes sense when you think that hunter-gatherers were constantly moving whereas many of us spend hours just sitting. So, I think the study does make a useful point - even when you compare highly active people to us, it seems to be changes in diet that have led to our obesity problems.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 07:09 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Time had a big cover story a couple years ago about exercise being oversold for weight loss. The fitness industry had a collective fit; apparently if it wasn't for the weight-loss mirage, they wouldn't make any money.

Quote:
Why in the world would anyone think hunter-gatherers had a different metabolic rate than sedentary Westerners? tsk
Some authors have gained a huge following by claiming certain foods have trashed our metabolisms. I don't think this article will change much; people will keep believing what they want to believe.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 08:29 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
I think the study is useful because there is a view around that the main reason for the obesity epidemic is changes in activity levels over human history. Both food and activity changes since hunter-gatherer times have to be important, but a lot of researchers thought activity trumped food. Think of all the discussions of how children don't play outside anymore, and even of things like remote controls - there's an emphasis on how sedentary most people have become. And it sort of makes sense when you think that hunter-gatherers were constantly moving whereas many of us spend hours just sitting. So, I think the study does make a useful point - even when you compare highly active people to us, it seems to be changes in diet that have led to our obesity problems.
Oh yes I agree. Additional research validity is useful. Now on to decreasing portion sizes!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 09:23 AM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
And it sort of makes sense when you think that hunter-gatherers were constantly moving whereas many of us spend hours just sitting. So, I think the study does make a useful point - even when you compare highly active people to us, it seems to be changes in diet that have led to our obesity problems.

Lurdes
I studied a bit of hunter-gatherer culture when I was doing my dissertation, and actually they *didn't* move around that much. For women, food collecting didn't take much time, and the rest of the time they just kinda...sat around. Hunts only occured every few days (or weeks) or so, and in between the men just kinda...sat around. Anthrpologists estimate that hunter-gatherers spent much less time "working" to get food than their agricultural counterparts.

Anyway I guess my point is, it does make sense that it's the food. Hunter-gatherers ate what they could find - berries, fruits, bits of meat every do often...definitely a far cry from what we have available today!
Old 07-27-12, 10:35 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KH View Post
I studied a bit of hunter-gatherer culture when I was doing my dissertation, and actually they *didn't* move around that much. For women, food collecting didn't take much time, and the rest of the time they just kinda...sat around. Hunts only occured every few days (or weeks) or so, and in between the men just kinda...sat around. Anthrpologists estimate that hunter-gatherers spent much less time "working" to get food than their agricultural counterparts.

Anyway I guess my point is, it does make sense that it's the food. Hunter-gatherers ate what they could find - berries, fruits, bits of meat every do often...definitely a far cry from what we have available today!
Also in the middle ages, when you weren't planting seeds or harvesting, you literally just sat around in your house all day doing nothing. Especially in winter when it's snowing, you're just stuck in there. That was happening before the obesity epidemic.