Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-24, 12:29 AM  
carly

Article - At 93, he’s as fit as a 40-year-old. His body offers lessons on aging

Interesting article about Richard Morgan, a man who started exercising at 70. Yes genetics are probably a contributing factor, but still very encouraging those of us as we age.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...ng/ar-AA1n3CkD
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 01:16 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting the article, Carly.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 07:07 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting. What I most noticed was that he hasn't stopped using challenging weight training or judicious amounts of intensity; these are two things that VFers (though probably not very recently) have implied people get too old to use.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 09:35 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Thanks for posting. What I most noticed was that he hasn't stopped using challenging weight training or judicious amounts of intensity; these are two things that VFers (though probably not very recently) have implied people get too old to use.
I've gotten older and I know that my knees can't handle it. I'm not even as old as this guy. It's possible he hasn't had to dial it down because he hasn't worked out as long as many VFers or as hard. Not taking away from his accomplishments. I just want to make it clear that I don't believe most VFers are implying that JUST because you reach a certain age that you should automatically stop. Just listen to your body. However, I wasn't here in the very early days of VF so maybe you noticed a change in tone that I haven't
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 09:55 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
There are a lot of factors to consider. One of my best friend's dh is 72 still doing Crossfit, lifting heavy, active and doing his outdoor nature photography. However, my friend has had to dial it down due to a knee injury.

I know plenty of people all ages who have to modify or change how they work out and it's not always due to age, etc. Fitness isn't one size fits all and probably the most important thing is to not compare (to others or to ourselves) and do what your body needs in this moment now.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 10:03 AM  
Leonana

The article mentions that he has creaky knees and that his performance is less than it was 15 years ago, even 5 years ago. It also said that genetics is a factor as rowing prowess runs in his family.

They mentioned that he had a simple routine: consistency, easy/moderate/intense training, weight training, and high protein diet. His weight training was according to his ability, he did reps until his muscles were tired. Also, 70% of his training is easy, 20% is more intense but tolerable, and 10% is all out intensity. What I got out of the article was that consistency is key, whatever level you’re at.
Old 01-17-24, 10:46 AM  
warriorprincess

It is stories like this that keep me working hard!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-24, 08:32 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I do agree with multiple people that bodies differ--that's why I don't favor citing age as a categorical reason to stop doing certain exercise-related things without adequate evidence. (Yes, what I've seen on VF has been more "I don't do X anymore because of my age" instead of "people my age shouldn't do X," or "you shouldn't do X anymore because of your age," but the leap isn't large.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
It is stories like this that keep me working hard!
I also find these stories interesting. I'm wary about drawing personal or general recommendations from a single person's story, especially in a problematic way ("what's your excuse" and all that), but these stories can offer meta-lessons if we're careful. (Multiple VFers use signatures about preferring wearing to rusting As We Age, but can't I avoid both extremes? )
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 01-17-24, 11:21 PM  
Leonana

I don’t think people at VF are saying they don’t do certain exercises because they are now a specific age. They don’t do the exercise because they can no longer do them without discomfort. And the discomfort is because of age. For example, I can no longer do high impact, it becomes painful. I might say I can’t do high impact because of age, but it’s because it has become painful as I’ve aged.

Hopefully, I’m making sense! If not, I’ll blame it on age lol.
Old 01-18-24, 06:42 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I don’t think people at VF are saying they don’t do certain exercises because they are now a specific age. They don’t do the exercise because they can no longer do them without discomfort. And the discomfort is because of age. For example, I can no longer do high impact, it becomes painful. I might say I can’t do high impact because of age, but it’s because it has become painful as I’ve aged.
I'd hope so: your example phrasing sounds like what I remember a few VFers using at times.

The Velveteen Rabbit

Tags
aging, article, article link, exercise, inspirational