Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-13, 04:36 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I finally attempted my first workout in this set. Based on Sue's list I tried Bikini Bootcamp this morning.

Overall, I enjoyed it, because it was kickboxing inspired. I only did the first 25 minutes, I think. I stopped when the curtsy lunge to side kicks started. This was an add-on, so I had a specific time that I need to end my workouts.

So far, the only real negatives is how fast the front back kicks are. It's impossible to go at that pace without sacrificing form. The modifier kept forgetting that she was modifying, and the gal who led this class never shut up. Honestly, I think these workouts would be so much better with much less talking. I downloaded that DB lookalike workout and that instructor could be a Darby clone!

I'll do the rest of the workout tomorrow morning.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 05:18 PM  
Coastal Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KH View Post
My thighs are a lost cause, but my butt is getting a little less "flat" from rotating these workouts , which is why I like them so much. I don't feel so self-conscious in my yoga capris. I also like that they have a cardio aspect.

I don't feel like TA has enough upper-body work for me, though, and while DB does OK with upper-body (hello pushups!), I still throw in some heavier weight work every other week.
Thank you so much!!! Feeling confident in yoga capris is a very good thing I'm looking forward to trying these!
Coastal Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 06:22 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post
I did this one today, too! LOL about the screaming! I sometimes curse at other instructors, but I think that with these, I'm working too hard to yell at the TV!
Ha ha! So true. I couldn't swear, since my little boy was with me, but boy was I thinking nasty thoughts in my head, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I finally attempted my first workout in this set. Based on Sue's list I tried Bikini Bootcamp this morning.

Overall, I enjoyed it, because it was kickboxing inspired. I only did the first 25 minutes, I think. I stopped when the curtsy lunge to side kicks started. This was an add-on, so I had a specific time that I need to end my workouts.

So far, the only real negatives is how fast the front back kicks are. It's impossible to go at that pace without sacrificing form. The modifier kept forgetting that she was modifying, and the gal who led this class never shut up. Honestly, I think these workouts would be so much better with much less talking. I downloaded that DB lookalike workout and that instructor could be a Darby clone!

I agree with everything you said Debbie. Those front to back kicks were where I got really frustrated, because I love back kicks, and I wanted to feel them, but they were going so fast I couldn't enjoy them. And that instructor really does need to just shut up. I can't wait till I learn the moves better on this one so I can just wear my headphones. I really think you would like the one I tried today - Fusion with Darby. She didn't annoy me, and it was a great workout, and not frantic.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 07:04 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post

I did this one today, too, but I went to the end of the standing section 40 min). I actually liked the last ten minutes the best! I agree with everything you said here. I really liked the moves and the sequencing. I love when every minute is used like that. I really got a great, sweaty workout.

On the downside, I agree with everything that's been said so far, plus the terrible punching form was painful to watch. I can deal with the pace but they are all over the place. I usually pick one person and match their pace but even that was hard to do at times. I think after doing it a couple times I will find my own pacing and that won't bother me.

The instructor' s voice is kind of mouth-breathy if that's what people mean by DA-like. I think she was really nervous. She got better as time went on. I thought she gave great form tips.
Old 05-10-13, 07:33 PM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

I agree with everything you said Debbie. Those front to back kicks were where I got really frustrated, because I love back kicks, and I wanted to feel them, but they were going so fast I couldn't enjoy them.
I always end up kicking forward and backward with the opposite legs (front kick right leg, back kick left leg and vice versa), instead of staying on the same leg. It just feels more natural for me. I agree that those go so fast, but it helps me when I don't front/back kick with the same leg.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 10:04 AM  
isebelleg44

I did Fusion Mix with Darby today and I found it tougher than Tabata & Toning. I am not a huge fan of stability ball workouts, so I decided to pull this one out today to get it over with. I have nothing like this in my workout collection, so some of these moves were tough for me. I like that I have to room to grow with this workout. I modified some moves, as I have to be careful with my shoulder and I also got fatigued. How can they hold that stability ball so high. It hurt my shoulder and neck just watching it. Since I didn't want to sacrifice my form, I kept the ball lower.

This is a tough workout and it is an hour long with no downtime.

Observations:

Darby talks a lot and seems to miscount some reps and never to my favor!

I sometimes lost track of the side I was working, since Darby doesn't mirror cue

Darby starts the workouts & says to watch the modifier if you don't have the ball, as the modifier proceeds to start the workout with the ball. She does eventually lose the ball.

There is no warm up and I though the stretch was much better in Tabata & Toning. The stretch in this one was lacking.

The modifier would forget to modify and I think the one demoing the advanced version would have preferred to modify!

I really like this workout and had to pause a lot to get my bearings and water. I love that I can grow here. Overall thumbs up from me!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 10:25 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I always end up kicking forward and backward with the opposite legs (front kick right leg, back kick left leg and vice versa), instead of staying on the same leg. It just feels more natural for me. I agree that those go so fast, but it helps me when I don't front/back kick with the same leg.
That makes sense - I'm gonna do that the next time. Thanks!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 10:44 AM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I did Fusion Mix with Darby today and I found it tougher than Tabata & Toning.

Observations:

Darby talks a lot and seems to miscount some reps and never to my favor!

I sometimes lost track of the side I was working, since Darby doesn't mirror cue

Darby starts the workouts & says to watch the modifier if you don't have the ball, as the modifier proceeds to start the workout with the ball. She does eventually lose the ball.

There is no warm up and I though the stretch was much better in Tabata & Toning. The stretch in this one was lacking.

The modifier would forget to modify and I think the one demoing the advanced version would have preferred to modify!

I really like this workout and had to pause a lot to get my bearings and water. I love that I can grow here. Overall thumbs up from me!
I am very interested in your review of this one. I love stability ball workouts and am looking forward to this one. I previewed and had to turn the sound off partway through, though. Darby makes that woman from Kettlebell Kickboxing seem quiet! Did you find it bothersome during the workout? I am pretty sure I'll be able to tune her out when I'm actually doing the workout, but I have to admit that her constant.constant.constant chatter really turned me off on the preview.

The non-modifying modifier seems to be a recurring issue. I thought it was hilarious in Bikini Bootcamp that the modifier only remembered to modify when the instructor cued about modifications. (I still really liked the workout, though.)
Old 05-11-13, 10:48 AM  
Irish Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Darby makes that woman from Kettlebell Kickboxing seem quiet!
Oh no! Dasha's non-stop talking was the reason I ended up trading Kettlebell Kickboxing. I didn't think it was possible for an instructor to talk more than she did
Irish Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 10:57 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Did you find it bothersome during the workout? I am pretty sure I'll be able to tune her out when I'm actually doing the workout, but I have to admit that her constant.constant.constant chatter really turned me off on the preview.
The talking that all of the instructors do hasn't bothered me that much. (Darby's constant chatter in the original one does bother me, but it could also be compounded by those annoying pop-ups! )

It's funny how we all react so differently to different instructors and their talking. I don't mind it on these DB workouts or on P57, but couldn't stand it with JNL Fusion and the Butt Bible!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death by workout, dream body, flailing limbs, fun workouts, yippy chihuahua