Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 06-28-04, 08:29 AM  
Shiningstar09

THANKS! This post is really helping me to organize my video rotation. Thanks a lot!!
Shiningstar09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-04, 02:12 PM  
etoile

This is great!! I now have enough workouts to make a rotation. The total body rotation and relaxation and recovery rotation are right up my alley. I've been doing the R&R for about 2wks now and I'm really enjoying it.
etoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 04:06 PM  
dianairene

replace rest day with stretch?

This is a great thread...it really answers questions I was having about when and how to do combo aerobics/weight training tapes. For years, all I ever did was alternating days of Gin Miller Step Circuit Challenge and running on my elliptical trainer. A really boring routine--no wonder I often got away from it. Now I've invested in lots more videos (thanks to the wonderful reviews on this site) and see that the only way to make that investment pay off is to incorporate them all into a rotation with lots of variety.

For now I'm working my way back into shape (I'm about 12 lbs overweight) and want to do more to incorporate yoga and stretching, which I've really avoided in the past. I would just do whatever stretch was at the end of the workout video and call it a day. Now I'd like to try some of these longer relaxing yoga workouts.

My question is, is it OK to eliminate the rest day (day 7) and do a long beginning (not power) yoga workout that day? Does that not count as resting? I just have a mental block about scheduling more than an hour a day of exercise, and I don't want to skimp on the cardio or weight lifting days. I don't have a problem with resting, it's just that I like to stick to a routine as much as possible if I'm not traveling.

A related question--any advice on mixing up templates? A different one every week? Three weeks of one followed by one week of the Relaxation and Recovery template?

Thanks
Diana
dianairene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 03:04 PM  
Juliekins
VF Supporter

Wow, Joanna. You kick all kinds of posterior. Between your amazing and helpful post and your workout regimen, I'm totally impressed! Thanks so much. This is so going into my fitness notebook.
Juliekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-04, 07:43 PM  
ronni703

another THANK YOU

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

oh and by the way
thank you so much
Old 11-22-04, 07:43 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianairene1973
My question is, is it OK to eliminate the rest day (day 7) and do a long beginning (not power) yoga workout that day? Does that not count as resting? I just have a mental block about scheduling more than an hour a day of exercise, and I don't want to skimp on the cardio or weight lifting days. I don't have a problem with resting, it's just that I like to stick to a routine as much as possible if I'm not traveling.
Diana - A few months ago, I started an effort to add more stretching. I will often do short stretch sessions after a workout or in the evening. (I'm a morning exerciser.) Based on advice here, I also started doing a longer stretch video on my rest days once in awhile. The ones I do are purely stretching and relaxing. It has worked really well for me and seems to enhance my rest days. I feel so much more relaxed at the end of the week when I do one of those tapes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 07:46 PM  
CharM

I love you. Your post is extremely helpful, thanks a bunch for sharing! I had NO IDEA where to begin on planning a rotation. Right now I'm doing SS because I don't have to think. lol I'm so glad I decided to venture away from the usual board I visit.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-05, 12:09 PM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

Joanna,

What a helpful thread!!!

I have followed other, prefab rotations and have enjoyed doing them, but I love the idea of making my own personalized rotation that lets me balance out all the workouts in my personal collection over a period of time.

Your instructions and templates make it easy for me to use any and all of my workouts as the weeks go by. I've made my lists and am currently coming up with a rotation that combines mostly Firms & WHFNs with some of my other favorite workouts. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you!
Old 08-03-05, 05:14 PM  
clearfmw

What about the Bar Method?

Thanks so much for the excellent rotation advice. My question is where does a workout like the Bar Method fit in? It's definitely not cardio, and it works the muscles hard, but without any weights. Would you recommend substituting this kind of workout for the weight-training or just adding it on to some other day?

Thanks!
clearfmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-05, 08:20 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Wow, it is so neat that people are still enjoying this thread! I still work out using these plans. It still works for me! I am glad others found it useful. I don't have any experience with Bar Method (I found Lotte Berk horribly boring so I never got the Bar Method ones) so I can't help you there. Sorry!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, rotation