Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-19, 01:27 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
They didn't specify in their email to me. I couldn't believe it though when I went into their site this morning and searched for 60 minute workouts and there are six that are available now in the library??!! I sound like a broken record, I know, but they really need to lower their subscription price - $29 per month is too high for what they offer.
I don’t understand it either when there is no such thing as a 30 minute class in studio. I hate the canned response too “you can string two 30 minute workouts together “. It’s just not the same.

Pvolve and HSM both recently lowered their streaming subscription. I wonder why they think they don’t have to....

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 02:59 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealakey View Post

prettyinpink, I think the older workouts are still there. You have to know the name and then search for them. I found Cupid's Class and Fierce and Fun that way.
I tried googling a couple, and they show up but when you click, you just get taken to the barre3 home page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Huh, I wonder what the 'new approach' is? The only discernible difference I've found is that they now invite the use of heavier weights. Am I missing something?

As a general rule, I'd say streaming services should not remove content unless they absolutely have to (copyright violation or similar.) It really does not feel good to have material taken away, especially if it's a high-price site like barre3. I am especially peeved about the recipes. That gave the site a more comprehensive wellness angle. Now it's just workouts, and fewer at that! I think barre3 has made a huge mistake.
I completely agree!

There were more older workouts that were longer, and some of them were more challenging. Variety of challenge is a good thing.

I also cannot tell a big difference in the primary format of the workouts, except for maybe a few subtle things. I think they used to do a few more barre postures with more reps. Now it feels like more time in large range movement. And the decrease in abs like I said before.

I suspect maybe getting rid of old stuff has to do with the old set and the TERRIBLE background music that they played in every.single.one. And maybe wanting to provide mostly shorter, somewhat less challenging workouts (though I don’t know why that is necessary, since they always talked about modifying and showed a modifier). They must respond to data that shows which workouts get the most plays and comments.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 04:16 PM  
mtngoat

I hope that barre3 sees this thread. I am not a subscriber, but might have purchased another subscription if they had a good sale in the future. I would not consider it now.

I really liked their recipes when I was a member. I wonder how much they paid for the advice to 'upgrade' their site? It seems like they have made a very bad move.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 05:37 PM  
sillygirl

I had added a reminder on my calendar in case there’s a Barre3 Black Friday Sale again this year. After reading this and seeing the new layout, I won’t be subscribing. I’m glad they made the changes before I bit on a possible Black Friday *annual* discount.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 10:54 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Many people have been commenting on the IG post in which they announced the changes. Most of the comments are complaints about the new system. B3 has responded that the recipes are still available in the barre3 magazine under the 'nourish' tab. (I definitely do not see all the recipes, and it's not the same as having weekly, seasonal recipes provided in the paid site.)

As for the sharp reduction of content, they said they removed workouts that do not 'represent our evolved class' and they want 'every workout [to] properly reflect barre3 core values and practices.' I responded, 'Can you please explain how the older workouts did not reflect b3's core values and practices? How has the class evolved such that the older workouts cannot be included? I'm genuinely curious and would love to know!'

No response yet.

I'm only halfway through my annual subscription (which I pre-paid), so I will still choose to enjoy the workouts, but I feel the need to be pretty vocal about the changes made. I don't think some of these sites appreciate how frustrating it is when they take material down. I didn't do the older videos very often, but I can't understand why they would do away with them. If anything, it's interesting to see the 'evolution' of the brand. As long as the workouts weren't terribly unsafe or subject to some kind of legal challenge, I can't see why they cannot remain up? And frankly, it just irks me when they couch this stuff in these BS public relations buzz terms like 'we're improving customer experience.' Please...

One more thing: to end on a positive note (!), another change is that you can see which workouts you've done before. I appreciate this feature!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 11:57 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Ugh, I just did the new 30 minute they put up this week in conjunction with the site redesign. The workout itself was fast-paced cardio. Apparently they are going to be releasing workouts under three categories: cardio-focused, strength conditioning and mindfulness. I kind of enjoyed the faster tempo and it was definitely heart-pumping and sweat-producing... but the instructor! She kept inserting the most cheesy motivational chatter. It seems to be in line with their new brand redesign. It was nauseating. At the end, she went on and on about the word 'perfect' and how bad and toxic it is.

One of the things I really love about barre3 is how differently they approach things--no 'how great you're going to look in a bikini' talk and no competition, just focus on good cueing, alignment, encouraging you to take it at your own pace, etc. They've gotten a lot of great feedback on that, and now I feel like they're really running with it and it's starting to sound like psychobabble. I kind of just wanted a good workout and maybe a few nice recipes. Was that so hard?!
Old 10-16-19, 10:06 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I tried googling a couple, and they show up but when you click, you just get taken to the barre3 home page.
Yep, you are right. I just logged in and they have deleted my older favorites, including Fierce & Fun and Cupid's Class.

The Barre3 website feels very bland and generic to me now. I'm probably going to cancel.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 10:26 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I just tried to cancel and the cancel button doesn't work; it defaults to pause subscription. If anyone else tries, please let me know.

Thanks!
Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 06:00 AM  
lizr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Ugh, I just did the new 30 minute they put up this week in conjunction with the site redesign. The workout itself was fast-paced cardio. Apparently they are going to be releasing workouts under three categories: cardio-focused, strength conditioning and mindfulness. I kind of enjoyed the faster tempo and it was definitely heart-pumping and sweat-producing... but the instructor! She kept inserting the most cheesy motivational chatter. It seems to be in line with their new brand redesign. It was nauseating. At the end, she went on and on about the word 'perfect' and how bad and toxic it is.
I do like the new categories. Yesterday I had some major DOMS from a Cathe workout and wanted something that was just cardio so that was easy to find. I previewed the new one and didn't care for the instructor so found an older Christa Joy that worked perfectly.
lizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 07:59 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealakey View Post
I just tried to cancel and the cancel button doesn't work; it defaults to pause subscription. If anyone else tries, please let me know.

Thanks!
Beth
Have you emailed customer service? It should not be hard to cancel. I suspect you are not the only one doing so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizr View Post
I do like the new categories. Yesterday I had some major DOMS from a Cathe workout and wanted something that was just cardio so that was easy to find. I previewed the new one and didn't care for the instructor so found an older Christa Joy that worked perfectly.
I like the new categories, too. Ok, so maybe that's one more thing I like! HA! Before, every workout just said 'total body.' It's good to have some variety. Some people commented on the new one that they didn't like faster pace, but I do. I really like the way they do burpees.

I just hope they continue to focus on the workouts, not get too inspirational on us all the time. The thing that really put me over the top for barre3 (in addition to all the nice features that are now gone) is that they are willing to feature instructors who are not rail-thin. They will show slender backgrounders who modify down, and more padded backgrounders who modify up. They really put their money where their mouths are. I just hope they don't blah blah blah all the time. It just feels OTT to me.

Tags
barre 3, barre3, barre3 streaming