Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-02-19, 02:47 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle K View Post
Hi Everyone -

Just a hectic weekend and very little Pilates -- feeling it! I finished a StepBet and am excited by my winnings. I couldn't do that continuously but it is very effective at boosting my average!

What is the difference between Pilates by Lisa, Pilates Nest and Jessica Valant?

Could any of you comment? I value VF for this!

Thanks! Hope you are having a healthy Wednesday!

Look in this thread
see if you find some answers here.. I'm not trying to direct to avoid your questions some place else, just showing you that your answer may be in here.

I had the same questions.

If it’s not, ask again here. Yes, it’s okay to ask such questions. I knew VF would help me also

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 08:23 PM  
cherimac

Pilates Nest Total. Body Toning with Weights .
Old 10-03-19, 05:50 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Yesterday I added in:

Up to the Beat Fitness - 2,000 step walk
Yoga w/ Adriene - Crow

Today, so far:

Classical Stretch Aging Backwards Bone Strengthening.

I think I will focus more on CS/Essentrics and less on Yoga. The CS/Essentrics seems to be doing more for my tight muscles right now.

Hope to walk at work and get Jessica's Pilates workout in tonight.

Elle - I will try to respond later or over the weekend....just rushing right now.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 06:19 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday's workouts were

Dog Walk - 15 minutes
Pilates Nest - Total Body Toning with Weights - 30 minutes;
This is a fun little workout from Smriti - the first 10 minutes or so is done standing. I like that she incorporates a variety of exercises in her videos - it's rarely the same old ones over and over.

Elle - not a professional here, but these are my thoughts on the 3 you asked about:

Pilates By Lisa - Lisa has great production values, often films outside in beautiful locations. Most of her workouts are short "targets". Her stuff is really, really tough. She often does a lot of reps, whereas traditional pilates limits the reps. She cues really well. A classically trained pilates person might describe her workouts as "pilates inspired". Lisa has been doing streaming for years and has literally hundreds of workouts on her site. She furnishes weekly calendars and often has challenges. She posts new workouts around once a week. You can't download her content.

Pilates Nest - Smriti films in her house; her production values are not that great; the sound quality of her videos has been described as echo-y. She also provides workout schedules (2 for each month - one with just shorter (10 to 15 minute) workouts and one that uses 30 minute workouts as well as the shorter ones). She doesn't cue as much as Lisa and she's not as polished as Lisa is on camera, although I find her charming. Smriti was born in Nepal and moved to Texas as a young girl, which probably accounts for some of that. She is Peak Pilates trained. Smriti's videos are more often full body workouts - her 15 minute workouts are generally target workouts, although she has quite a few full body shorter workouts as well. She doesn't overdo the reps and she has a more classical feel to me than Lisa. If you are a member of her "tribe" you can download any and all of her workouts to keep; she doesn't have nearly as many workouts posted as Lisa. Her workouts do have a lot of variety to them, and for me, there is no dread factor like there is with Lisa. She posts a new 30 minute workout and at least one new shorter workout a month.

Jessica Valant - I haven't done her stuff as much so just a few comments - her production values are better than Smriti's but not as elaborate as Lisa's. I'd say her pilates stuff is more classical than Lisa's - she doesn't do as many reps as Lisa. She's a physical therapist by training; I think she cues well. She also posts a schedule each month. I don't think you can download her workouts. Not as many workouts available as Lisa has.

HTH,

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 10:00 AM  
furmomof6

Faithful Workouts: Movement Stretching

Elle, Jessica Valant includes cardio, weights and HIIT, not just Pilates. She believes in cross-training. She has a wide variety.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 10:07 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

thank you Carol. You guys are very good on noticing the differences between instructors.. I appreciate that.. it helped me when I was looking also.

I don't know what I'm doing today. Right now I'm bundled up in my cocoon comfy. Heading to the home stretch of this year. Brrrrrrrrrr.

I also ate breakfast so that will be putting me behind also.

Thank you all for welcoming me also.

I think I said it before but I'm sticking with Mari until I know what I'm supposed to be doing.

I was listening to something on youtube about pilates and the lady said, as we get older we shouldn't be doing the C curve. I wasn't sure about that. do you see, why it's not advised? at least in her opinion? If Joe Pilates was doing it well into his 70s, why is it now harmful?

~~~Cheryl

Old 10-03-19, 10:12 AM  
cherimac

PN Arms and Abs

My unpopular opinion is that Lisa over cues. She gives way to much set-up between moves and it kills the flow, which is a huge part of Pilates. And, she doesn't cue breath that much. Her workouts also use more reps than traditional Pilates and are more targeted and less full-body. But, she's good at what she does do. Her workouts remind me of Pop Pilates/Blogilates~Pilates inspired mixed with yoga and calisthenics, aka Jane Fonda or Tracy Anderson. That's not bad, and it will get you in shape.

Smriti and Robin of The Balanced Life are more traditional Pilates instructors. I think Jessica Valant is too, but her training is more PT based, which is a great thing. It's all in what you like or don't like, honestly. If you hate it you won't do it!

Waves to all. I'm off and need to run errands.
Old 10-03-19, 02:18 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Question

Hi everyone,

do you use your bands more for pilates or tubing?

~~~Cheryl

Old 10-03-19, 03:04 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Hi everyone,

do you use your bands more for pilates or tubing?
I prefer bands.
Old 10-03-19, 03:08 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I prefer bands.
thank you. I'm sitting here trying to sort out what all i may need before I get to it I have bands and even got a new band with the Pilates Silver.

do you have a favorite or good or what ever dvd to use them with? even if it's youtube?

~~~Cheryl

Tags
feeling pretty remarkable