Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-19, 07:43 AM  
Helen

Every Day in October (already?!) - all welcome, as always. :)

Welcome to the 'Every Day in OCTOBER' checkin!

We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU.

Posts aren't required every day, but are most welcome. Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen

So... if you're checkin-hunting to keep you motivated and accountable, being expected to do something EVERY DAY may be the consistency push you need.
NEWCOMERS ALWAYS WELCOME!

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 05:29 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

New Month, New Check Mark

Helen: Thanks for getting us started.

Mena: CONGRATULATIONS on making every day in September. You go girl.

Haven't worked out yet today, but have signed up for the "October Challenge" on Peloton which is a Peloton workout every day in October. (Sound familiar?) so I hope to succeed. No. let me rephrase that: I WILL SUCCEED. There are many 5 and 10 minute workouts, plus meditations, stretches, etc. So I know I can complete it. (There's my commitment - now on cyber paper.)

Will check in later!
Waves to all!
Make it a great day.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 08:45 AM  
mena

Tue 10/1 - Namaste Yoga S1E2 (Sun-Moon)

Biggie Update (Feel free to skip): We took Biggie to the vet on Saturday for her one month follow-up appointment. The vet called yesterday with results from the blood test and the news is all good for the Bigs. The Radiocat procedure worked and she is no longer hyperthyroid ! I didn't know it would correct so quickly. Anyway, she has also gained a 1/2 pound and the vet said she could gain as much as 1 1/2 to 2 more pounds which would be great since she is so skinny. Her bad behaviors have greatly decreased also. The vet said that this is all what they hope to see after the procedure and that Biggie is a healthy girl once again--HOORAY !!

Helen - Thanks for starting us off and dealing with the hassle of finding pics.

Cleda - Did you see the Downton Abbey movie? I did on Sunday and liked it a lot. It was fun to see all the characters again and to continue with their stories. My only quibble would be not enough Mr. Bates and that is because he (and Anna) are my favorite characters. But that's personal preference really. What is your opinion of the movie?
mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 08:06 PM  
Helen

Hey all, typing is awkward but at least I’m using both hands now.

MENA
Absolutely wonderful news for Biggie! So pleased for you.
And yes, huge congratulations for making every day

About he jump - not concerned for safety at all as driving the car any day is a much higher risk BUT I did think about what I did and said before they left in case they were ‘last words’ Was able to catch them both on video landing too.

I’m quite bummed about the pic size thing, it was easy to find two of the same size by using the exact dimensions and that also let me ensure they weren’t too big, now I have to insert and preview post over and over - hence the single pic this time.

CLEDA
Of course you signed up for the October challenge was there ever a doubt?

Tuesday, the 1st of October
Only walking ~ 13k steps

Waves!!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-01-19, 08:09 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Helen, thanks for starting us again in your usual fine style. I hope you're feeling better!

I'll bet Cleda did a Peloton workout today!

Hooray for BIGGIE! So glad your baby is doing better & gaining weight, Mena!

Hi Lilli!

Dog walks is what I've been doing along with dragging hoses around watering. Still hot & dry around here. Where's fall?
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 09:11 AM  
mena

Wed 10/2 - Cathe - Fit|Split Metabolic Conditioning.

I'm with Kay--Where is fall? It's forecast to be a very un-fall like 95 (35C) degrees today . My lawn has several brown spots but at least I see that everyone else's does too so I don't feel too badly about it.

Waves to Everyone!
mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 06:50 PM  
Helen

Thank you MENA or thinking of me with the 35C
Yes, that's still a solid summer temperature !!
Also love that you put the | in Fit|Split

We've been very fortunate in Melbourne - known for '4 seasons in one day', and is often cool and drizzly, but it's been perfect weather - just glorious every day.

Wednesday
Only walking, but 24.5k steps.

We're staying a day longer, as Cait has a lot of free time today. Have only caught her for snippets so far, apart from the afternoon of the jump - where she scooted off right afterwards to her first army reserve event (lots of paperwork, and meet the other newbies).
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-02-19, 08:42 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

2 separate challenges

Helen: I love your faith in me! if only I had it in myself. I have actually signed up for 2 separate challenges. One is a Peloton workout of any sort every day in October. (Since I'm struggling lately - I thought this would be good for me and checking in here.) This can include yoga, stretch, arms, legs, meditation, running, treadmill, bike, etc, etc. The other challenge I signed up for is another Power Zone challenge. Why? Because I flipped that coin. (and both sides were head. Nah - only kidding! ) But I thought about what you said and the challenges make me happy. Or at least consistent. I whine about them sometimes, but know what I have to do to make them more enjoyable. (That would be to make more time for my favorite instructors who bring me huge amounts of joy. I didn't do that as much this challenge. And the challenges are mostly one instructor.) Sooooooooooo Yep. Starts 2 weeks after my current one ends. So that would be October 28th. Only 2 weeks inbetween this time. Bring it on!!! I'm ready.

Mena: What wonderful news about Biggie. I'm still thinking about how you couldn't go near him for a while. That was just mind boggling to me. But, so happy for you and him that he's donig so well. YAY .....

Kay: as you know - we too are still experiencing summer temps, but tomorrow will be cooler and I think the summer temps will be gone till next spring.

Lili, Susan, and everyone else - where are you?????

I just realized, I never posted any workouts yet for this month. Oh wait - we're only 2 days in. I'm (obviously) exhausted. (What else is new?)

10/1/2019: Peloton (Wait for it) MEDITATION ..... I fell asleep. Does it still count? My app says yes.

10/2/2019: Peloton Power Zone 45 minute Matt Wilper's class, 5 minute cool down ride with my girl crush, and a 5 minute stretch! Life is good.

I dont' feel bad about the meditation being my only peloton workout yesterday as there are many days when I do far more than is required. . . .

I just got a badge for 40 week streak today. (I rode with the app starting in January). So I'm doing great!!!! Yep. Peloton was/is worth it for me.

Gotta get sleep.
Waves to all.
Cleda
Old 10-02-19, 08:52 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Oh duh ...

The reason I started my last post (and got sidetracked) was to respond to Mena: YES !!! I saw Downton Abbey 3x (so far!!!) For a side note, it comes out on DVD on December 17th (in the states) and is available for pre order from Amazon dot com. Just thought I'd share!

I am a Downton Abbey freak errrr I mean fan. You could have put the costumes on cardboard figures with a thought bubble above them and I would have LOVED it.

I saw it first on Sept. 12th when a local theater was showing it. I went with an old friend from the old office. It was premiere night. Including the two of us, I think there was MAYBE 8 people in the theater?!? I was shocked.

I then flew down to see Mom cuz I bought tickets to a theater by her and we went to a matinee and saw it that Monday. Maybe 15 in the theater for that showing. Then she wanted to see it again because she was afraid she may have missed some (who was I to argue?) so we went again the following day. It was cheap Tuesday so $5 a ticket.

I have pre ordered the dvd. One for Mom (to be delivered to her) and one to me. Merry Christmas to us ...

While visiting Mom, we binge watched season 6 the day before we went to the theater, I cued up and we watched the recap in case the theater didn't show it (and the did not - only at the premier was it shown) And then after the movie, we came back and began at Season 1 to rewatch again.

And yes! I love, love, loved it. I belong to a Facebook Group for it as well so have been having fun reading what they say about it. (Much like exercise videos, some stuff, I probably wouldn't have even noticed. CRazy what people notice!). My complaints: 1.) Too short - would have loved a mini series and 2.) That it is no longer a series. I did miss some of the characters too (which I won't go into in case others have not yet seen it). I like Bates & Anna also. I just think it was too hard to cram soooo much into only 2 hours.

Can you tell I'm a fan?
So there you have it.
I truly am off to bed.
Good night.
Cleda
Old 10-02-19, 09:39 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Hey ladies! Not a lot of time to chat tonight but wanted to at least check in. Remember, oh, about a week ago, it was the beginning of September and I was going to work out every day in September?

Yeah, well. . .

That didn't turn out so well. September turned into an unhappy HERD of TURDS. My mother-in-law passed away and there was LOTS of family drama and a trip to Indiana for the funeral, then drama with MY family too while I was there, and I was SO stressed out that trying to work out felt like trying to have a panic attack. I missed a whole week in a row. I did get back on the wagon. The first week and last week of September look great, but the middle? NO.

SO, well, it is a NEW MONTH, right, and not only that, today is my birthday! I am 56 and thankful beyond measure for the privilege, let me tell ya. So this week (I'll start with Monday because ONE MUST START WITH MONDAY!)

MON, Sept 30: 3 miles of Leslie in the am before work; Cathe's Pyramid Lower (the old one) pyramid UP only premix in the pm.

TUE, Oct 1: WW Get Moving Mix Fat burning cardio with Petra in the am; Cathe's Pyramid Upper (the old one) pyramid UP only premix in the pm

WED, Oct 2: 30m pre-dawn walk outdoors in the am. Olive Garden's five cheese ziti al forno followed by a piece of Cheesecake Factory Mango key lime cheesecake in the pm. (no, that wasn't a workout. You weren't supposed to notice!)

PLAN going forward:

THUR, Oct 2: Leslie cardio plus abs in the am (assuming my stiff neck is better; otherwise I might skip abs for extra stretching)
FRI, Oct 3: Jari Love's Get Ripped or equivalent
SAT, Oct 4: longer step workout, TBD
SUN Oct 5: rest

NOTE: I am on call this week so all plans are subject to interruption. I do have a patient actively dying right now and expect to be called in on a death visit tonight, which will pretty much trash tomorrow and that's OK!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote