Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-17, 09:30 AM  
CarlaVeg

Help me establish a Yoga Routine

Hi ladies, I want to get back into my yoga practice. I was so into it years ago pre-kids.... I even became a vegetarian after daily practice and I was veggie for 13 years. I am no longer vegetarian but I do miss all the benefits I had from yoga. I was calmer, happier, thinner, and more in control as well.

Any tips to going back to a yoga routine? I find mornings is tough because I am so stiff.... how do I address this?

I am also bored with my yoga DVD collection and need something new.... any ideas? I enjoy hatha yoga and vinyasa ... sometimes kundalini.

Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 09:41 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi Carla, my suggestion would be to ease in with short sessions. So many 20 minute options/compilation videos out there. And Youtube is replete with free yoga - so much so I get overwhelmed by the choices.

Then you can get the glow back and see what develops. Welcome back to the mat.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 10:24 AM  
BunnyHop

You sound like me a few months ago, but honestly back then, I thought I kinda disliked yoga. Weird, right? I'd bought J Brown's yoga dvd totally on a whim last winter sometime, but hadn't used it while I was recovering from a hysterectomy.

I liked the idea of it, though (focusing on the breath), so when was feeling up to it, I gave the shortest practice a try for a few days whenever I could manage to fit it in my day, just to see what would happen. Next thing you know, I'm practicing every day. I use it as preparation for my own meditation practice, and I find it very helpful.

I like the fact that this one is designed to be used at varying lengths. Each one feels like a complete practice, and yes, the moves in the short ones are all in the longer ones, but they're not just cobbled together.

It's got 7, 15, 30, 60 and 75 minute practices. He does chant/pray a bit, but since Ohm is the only word I recognize when he's not speaking English, I just lie there and breathe for the rest. You can choose to have less or more audio instruction with each practice.

The three shortest ones start you off in corpse pose for a few breaths. The longer ones start off seated/cross legged, then do a few things and then you're into the corpse pose and the floor work from the shorter ones, then other stuff is added on.

Sorry to ramble, but I've never seen a yoga dvd set up quite like this, and it's my favorite by far.

I've got the moves and breathwork memorized for the shorter ones, so I can do those practices on my own if I want. If I'm weary, I just put in the dvd and let his voice lead the way. I find this especially helpful at the end, when I can never manage to lie there and breathe long enough on my own.

Oh, and yep, the length of my daily practice varys depending on the rest of the day.

https://jbrownyogavideo.com/practice/dvd-downloads/

I bought my dvd from Amazon, not realizing he had a website.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Browns-Yoga.../dp/B00SGM38S0
Old 08-03-17, 10:42 AM  
dnna

I need to really stretch out every morning. I use Jane Adams Gentle Yoga. I start with the 30 minute lying down on the matt routine. all lying down and fabulous. I have even noticed nice shaping results.
I follow it with the computer relief segment -about 15 minutes.
On another Jane Adams dvd -Yoga for seniors I use the Chair Yoga level one.

so I do those three segments, but sometimes I just do Gentle Yoga - lying down and that does everything I need to get up and moving.

good luck!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 12:16 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I too am trying to figure out how to work yoga into my routine. I love the benefits I get from it when I do it on a fairly regular basis. However, I find it so easy to slip from it....working full-time, still want to do some cardio, it's just hard to fit it all in sometimes!

Good idea about doing shorter practices though. Though Saturday mornings are my one time for a long intensive one, but the shorter ones sound good for during the week.

I've had that Jane Adams Gentle Yoga on my list to purchase - sounds like something Id like!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 12:43 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 01:18 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestion of Jane Adams. I think I will get that one. And Carla I love your profile picture. Is it in Yosemite?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 01:58 PM  
laurajhawk

For me, it's easiest to establish a routine when there's a set rotation that provides some variety. For that, I would start with Rodney Yee's AM Yoga For Your Week (5 practices, about 25 minutes). When that gets old/too easy/you want variety, get Eoin's Blissology (6 practices, each with a "quickie" and "full" routine ... quickies are under 45 min, full under an hour). Then maybe 30for30 or Ultimate Yogi or another of the Udaya sets... Of course, as you progress, you can always go "back" to other sets for variety or when you're short on time, like substituting AMYFYW Backbends for UY Backbends.

The morning thing, yeah. I'm stiffer in the morning too and can't do yoga as "well" as later in the day, but it really helps me get past the stiffness. The instructors I mentioned give good modifications and you should do what feels right each day, not focus on "improving" (you will improve anyway).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 02:45 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

On the "morning thing" (oh yeah relate to that) - Yee's original AM Yoga is like nectar, and it's short.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 02:58 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Thanks for the suggestion of Jane Adams. I think I will get that one. And Carla I love your profile picture. Is it in Yosemite?
Nope, that's the Angel Falls in Venezuela. It's the highest waterfall in the whole world!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
namaste yoga, restarting, yoga