Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-17, 01:27 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I am always baffled by posts where people claim that high intensity exercise made them gain weight. I don't think so. I am certainly not a scientist, but I don't get that. It is logical to me that food makes you gain weight, not exercise. I think as we age, we certainly can't eat how we use to, but I don't think a good boot camp workout will make you fat. If you eat a ton of food afterwards, well, that might be the problem.
Not at all. There is plenty of research that high intensity can bee perceived as stress and can cause the body to produce cortisol, etc. My diet was not different. So yes-it happens.
Old 04-02-17, 01:29 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blzgrl View Post
From what I understand based on things I've read, the hormonal changes that happen during perimenopause/menopause cause the body to interpret high intensity exercise as stress, resulting in the body holding on to fat. (The relationship between stress and weight gain is widely known.) There's cortisol and insulin involvement, etc., that someone else can better explain than I, but I have talked to (or read about) several women who have found that when they lowered their exercise intensity (or cut back on high intensity) they lost weight.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to say.
Old 04-02-17, 04:11 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Thanks. That's exactly what I was trying to say.
I'm been at my goal weight for awhile and was mostly focused on moderately heavy lifting several days per week. Last month I thought I was looking kind of well, blocky. It's difficult to explain but I had gained an inch in my hips and thighs. I've been lifting weights for 30 years and have never had this happen. A few weeks ago I decided to try barre 3 again. I'm also pulling in a few short KB workouts here and there from ZGym. The inch gain is now gone and body calipers show a 2% fat loss. In my case I think it may be hormonal. I'm 52. I love weights and at some point may just try a 3 day split with more rest days.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 04:20 PM  
Tugger31

I felt like I was getting "blocky" as well and I'm def quad dominant. These were some of the main reasons I cut back on heavier lifting and took up Ballet Beautiful. Though I still think BB has been a good thing for my quads/lower half it def doesn't provide the calorie burn. In general my entire body has become weaker and I don't want that as I age! I do primarily Cathe for weight training.

I think I just need to cut back on the frequency instead of cutting back altogether. My plan is to do split training every other week and on the alternate weeks do FIRM-like or "metabolic" workouts that incorporate weights still. For cardio I can't do intense all the time as I have a demanding job and don't get much sleep (mostly thanks to hot flashes), but I want to start challenging myself a bit more with at least one HiiT cardio workout per week during my split strength weeks. I'm still going to use BB as add-ons b/c I do like what they do my lower body.

Big scale changes for me only happen when I cut back on simple carbs and sugars.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 04:40 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
I'm been at my goal weight for awhile and was mostly focused on moderately heavy lifting several days per week. Last month I thought I was looking kind of well, blocky. It's difficult to explain but I had gained an inch in my hips and thighs. I've been lifting weights for 30 years and have never had this happen. A few weeks ago I decided to try barre 3 again. I'm also pulling in a few short KB workouts here and there from ZGym. The inch gain is now gone and body calipers show a 2% fat loss. In my case I think it may be hormonal. I'm 52. I love weights and at some point may just try a 3 day split with more rest days.
~Beth
Interesting. I think i need more rest.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 04:44 PM  
Tugger31

Getting a nice balance btwn intensity and rest is tough and I feel at my age I've even more sensitive to the extremes. I did a month long Cathe RWH rotation, working out 5 days a week. Everything ached, I was exhausted and burnt out so much so that I stopped working out for almost 2 months after that. Fast forward to now when I cut back to mostly walking workouts and Ballet Beautiful. I am weaker, obviously less achy, but much flabbier and my cardio endurance is not what it used to be. I weigh the same.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 05:17 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Getting a nice balance btwn intensity and rest is tough and I feel at my age I've even more sensitive to the extremes. I did a month long Cathe RWH rotation, working out 5 days a week. Everything ached, I was exhausted and burnt out so much so that I stopped working out for almost 2 months after that. Fast forward to now when I cut back to mostly walking workouts and Ballet Beautiful. I am weaker, obviously less achy, but much flabbier and my cardio endurance is not what it used to be. I weigh the same.
Have you tried Hamelin's blitz workouts? I feel it's a great balance of weight work. If you alternate it with blitz cardio you're golden. You might want to add in one day of more intense cardio a week, but my saddlebags have disappeared and my lower body looks great. I'm still struggling with weight so i am trying a bit more intense cardio once a week. I do miss lifting and as soon as my elbow heals I'll add in kettle bells once a week also. I need to rest more is part of my problem

Old 04-02-17, 05:38 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Have you tried Hamelin's blitz workouts? I feel it's a great balance of weight work. If you alternate it with blitz cardio you're golden. You might want to add in one day of more intense cardio a week, but my saddlebags have disappeared and my lower body looks great. I'm still struggling with weight so i am trying a bit more intense cardio once a week. I do miss lifting and as soon as my elbow heals I'll add in kettle bells once a week also. I need to rest more is part of my problem
Sue, do you have the links for the blitz? I agree that rest is very important.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 06:02 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Sue, do you have the links for the blitz? I agree that rest is very important.
~Beth
http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...ct/blitzmatics

http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...nths-pre-order

My saddlebags are gone because of these workouts. No dread. I feel energized from them, not wiped

Old 04-02-17, 08:02 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...ct/blitzmatics

http://hamelindabellmethod.tictail.c...nths-pre-order

My saddlebags are gone because of these workouts. No dread. I feel energized from them, not wiped
Sue, this is the first time I've watched the preview. There's only music in the preview but he's clearly talking -- I assume we hear him talking in the actual workout? So close to ordering after just this morning thinking I never need to buy anything again because PBL is the bomb.com.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debra atkinson, flipping 50, menopause, my fitness pal, over 50