Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-15, 08:28 AM  
momofcha

Focused on "de-aging"....

I'm not that old (mid 40's) but lately I am concerned with aging - whether it's looking old, or feeling old.... I've religiously used sunblock on my face for 16 years now and wear a hat whenever possible. I think I look good for my age, but now I'm focusing on being mobile as I get older. I don't do any high impact and haven't for a long time. I prefer barre, low impact and kettlebells. I'm wondering what and how often you all do joint mobility/stretching work? I struggle with thyroid issues and I can't lose a pound no matter what I do, so I'm just going to go with what feels good now and not worry any more about trying to lose weight.

I've got plenty of CS - although I'm eyeing the aging backwards DVD - worth it JackieB?? I also ordered the Melt set - although I'm wondering if it will ever ship? It's been a week with no movement.... and I'm wondering about Jill Miller's tune up yoga set - any thoughts to that?

I'm still doing my kettlebells - but wondering how often I should I add in a CS/melt, etc???'

any feedback would be appreciated.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-15, 08:34 AM  
buffmama

Lately I've been doing about 20 min a day and like the way it makes me feel. I'm using mostly youtube stuff and prefer practices that focus on form and therefore aren't too fast. For me, a little on a regular basis is the best way to go. My current workouts don't have a stretch at the end, so this does double duty. The more I do whole body workouts (KB, BW) the more important I think it is since I have scoliosis and imbalances. I also find myself stretching throughout the day once it's part of my regular exercise routine.

Last edited by buffmama; 05-28-15 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added info
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-15, 08:37 AM  
PhyllisG

I like Ellen for this but my new love is Natalie with Joyful Movement. I do a lot of barre/fusion but have just recently gone back to paper workouts for weights.
Natalie has such a great range of total body movements that feel so good. I really consider this kind of workout to be anti aging....mobility, flexibility, balance and some light weight just to kick it up a notch.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-15, 09:09 AM  
cherimac

That's why I love barre3. I've been adding in Cassey Ho's Beginner Blogilates too and love how I feel.
Old 05-28-15, 09:17 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
That's why I love barre3. I've been adding in Cassey Ho's Beginner Blogilates too and love how I feel.
Good point! I have barre3 streaming. Must do more!

Old 05-28-15, 09:38 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Crap I just typed out an entire response and POOF it's gone!

Sue I think you know what I do. CS, a little Ellen, some Lee Holden, pain management stuff like Jill Miller or Bendy Body. I walk to get the sunlight since I have the Hashi's like you and sunlight has a huge impact on my sleep and mood.

I am working on stringing more CS episodes together after being at the Colorado retreat. Miranda looks fantastic and it was so inspiring to see these people who do CS and look so good.

I'm going to be 48 in a couple weeks here and am also wanting to focus on the whole "Aging Backwards" thing. I'm in a poor sleep cycle right now...frustrating...and I think that sleep plays more of a role than we all care to admit.

Is the PBS AB set worth it? IDK. I think it depends on how much you use your CS, and whether or not you'll use it. It really isn't all that different than the episodes. I don't regret my purchase or donation but realize that it is all I do. I love my Miranda and am a bit of a CS hoarder. I would regret not having the set.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-15, 09:38 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
I'm not that old (mid 40's) but lately I am concerned with aging - whether it's looking old, or feeling old.... I've religiously used sunblock on my face for 16 years now and wear a hat whenever possible. I think I look good for my age, but now I'm focusing on being mobile as I get older. I don't do any high impact and haven't for a long time. I prefer barre, low impact and kettlebells. I'm wondering what and how often you all do joint mobility/stretching work? I struggle with thyroid issues and I can't lose a pound no matter what I do, so I'm just going to go with what feels good now and not worry any more about trying to lose weight.

I've got plenty of CS - although I'm eyeing the aging backwards DVD - worth it JackieB?? I also ordered the Melt set - although I'm wondering if it will ever ship? It's been a week with no movement.... and I'm wondering about Jill Miller's tune up yoga set - any thoughts to that?

I'm still doing my kettlebells - but wondering how often I should I add in a CS/melt, etc???'

any feedback would be appreciated.

T-Tapp and CS are my go-to workouts for joint mobility, stretching, bone strengthening. Walking--either outdoors or with Leslie or Jessica or someone else--is my cardio. I had fallen into this routine several years ago.

About a year or so ago, I added in weighted workouts at least 3Xs a month: some firms, some Margaret Richards, and now I've discovered Tracie Long Training and just love it.

I have barre workouts and some other stuff I throw in to the mix when I feel like it, but CS, T-Tapp and walking are my foundational work for staving off that inevitable enfeeblement.

I'm 58. I'm more active now and feel better than I did at 45.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-15, 09:41 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

Is the PBS AB set worth it? IDK. I think it depends on how much you use your CS, and whether or not you'll use it. It really isn't all that different than the episodes. I don't regret my purchase or donation but realize that it is all I do. I love my Miranda and am a bit of a CS hoarder. I would regret not having the set.
I don't have the PBS set yet. I apportion part of my income to charity, and I'm waiting for the funds to accrue, which will be next month.

Like Jackie, I'm an aficionado and a CS hoarder. I will get the set and probably love it.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-15, 09:47 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Crap I just typed out an entire response and POOF it's gone!

I am working on stringing more CS episodes together after being at the Colorado retreat. Miranda looks fantastic and it was so inspiring to see these people who do CS and look so good.
This is where I'm getting inspired. She looks fantastic! I want to be healthy and mobile like she is as I get older. She is very inspirational.

Old 05-28-15, 09:50 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I truly believe that daily Kundalini Yoga is the fountain of youth I started taking Essentrics classes again about a month ago - I do that twice a week and I have noticed a lot more freedom in my body (and waist slimming!). Daily walks help too.

Two books I found interesting on the topic of "de-aging":
Natalia Rose's Forever Beautiful: http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Beauti...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
Christiane Northrup's Goddesses Never Age: http://www.amazon.com/Goddesses-Neve...sses+never+age

What I like most in these books is the emphasis on "closing cultural portals" (that's the term Northrup uses) regarding the meaning of aging, as well as the importance of impeccable self-care.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, de-aging