Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-14, 10:39 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I've done a couple of official reviews. And I have one more that's still a draft. It takes me an embarrassingly long time to write a thorough review, which is probably why I haven't written more. I rely a lot on the reviews section, so I feel compelled to contribute when I can (which is apparently not very often).

I have some semi-negative reviews I keep meaning to write as well, but I find it easier somehow to review workouts I love rather than ones I'm lukewarm or cold about. But often negative reviews are the most helpful to me.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 11:20 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
I also miss rotations being posted in the rotation forum, and modifications in the modifications area...
Why don't the mods move them to where they belong? I see it done all the time on other boards with many more members; with not as many members here, eventually everyone will figure out where their thoughts/inquiries should be posted.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 05:51 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Sabine - I didn't realize that happened when submitting a review of a previously unreviewed workout. It never used to.
The back end of the review system used to be klunky and manual and extremely time consuming. You would submit your review immediately and then it would take a lot of work on the back end to actually post that review. Then, a new review system was created several years ago where posting reviews was much more automated. The only thing that isn't immediate is starting a queue for a workout that hasn't been reviewed previously. It's tjos wau becaise pf something technical about the database all the reviews reside in. However, I've written a lot of reviews and it's not that big of a deal to start a review and then copy and paste what I wrote into it once it's started.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 06:24 AM  
Helen

I'm totally a "New Posts" person.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 06:40 AM  
PeakFitness

They don't have to be long, complex reviews. 'I hate it because it's too high impact" is just as good a review.
Old 09-14-14, 08:15 AM  
TinierTina

Question Should I migrate my Review to Reviews Section if ...

Well, I buy workouts for what they contain.

I buy few. I use nearly all of what I buy (even if only twice).

So, if it's an instructor who has no (or negative) "marquee value"? If you know what I mean - I'm not talking about show business migrants like a Jane Fonda, but about whatever substitutes for a great TVQ or Klout Score in the fitness video world. ... Certainly not youth or a modeling contract.

I could do it, but would it make a difference?
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 08:21 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Guilty as charged. I've emailed requests to have titles added to the Reviews forum so I can post my review, then I don't do it.

I MUCH prefer reading reviews in the Reviews forum instead of General Discussion, mainly because it's a lot easier to search! I'm happy when people post impressions or full-out reviews on GD but I'd love it if they'd cut and paste it to Reviews.
Old 09-14-14, 08:39 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Well, I buy workouts for what they contain.

I buy few. I use nearly all of what I buy (even if only twice).

So, if it's an instructor who has no (or negative) "marquee value"? If you know what I mean - I'm not talking about show business migrants like a Jane Fonda, but about whatever substitutes for a great TVQ or Klout Score in the fitness video world. ... Certainly not youth or a modeling contract.

I could do it, but would it make a difference?
I think you should always post reviews, especially if the person is not mainstream. You never know who could be looking for a review from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
Joni - I recall seeing a lot of comments about those workouts. Don't recall the thread title but there were some review-type comments. Did you run a search

On your question - I agree... I also miss rotations being posted in the rotation forum, and modifications in the modifications area...
I had no idea that's what the rotation section was for. I've posted some rotations that I've created myself in General Discussion. I will be migrating them over to the Rotations section.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 08:50 AM  
TinierTina

Long Shots with a Rocket! Well, then I have Two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I think you should always post reviews, especially if the person is not mainstream. You never know who could be looking for a review from them.

I had no idea that's what the rotation section was for. I've posted some rotations that I've created myself in General Discussion. I will be migrating them over to the Rotations section.
Well, then, I have 2 ...

A yoga video that is referred to by two taglines (that I've done 5 times already) ... and - were I not medically contraindicated from engaging in non-cardio activities, I would have done it over 2 dozen times already ...

It has an iffy title (or more than one informal title for the same video) ... so does that mean a cross-posting of the same review?

But I have to substantially change the 2nd? I can, you know; but that takes time.

And one of the yoga-pilates fusion workouts I've done 6 times in a fraction of time of ownership of that first. Not that it's a cardio blowout, but I really need it for SOOOO many other things. And it feeds my functional fitness without relying on floorwork alone.

Both raves. Both are what used to be known as in the old-school Top 40 deejayed radio shows as "Long Shots with a Rocket" ...

"Murray the K and his Swingin' Soiree " is where I got that from ... and to think I had not liked the Beatles ... because change-of-life baby ...

Last edited by TinierTina; 09-14-14 at 09:06 AM. Reason: additional notes
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 09:27 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I think one of the reasons why many threads are posted here in General Discussion instead of in the specialized areas of the forum are because people know that this is the busiest board on the forum, and if they ask a question here, they are more likely to get multiple responses quickly from a wider variety of VFers than if they posted in a less active area like the "Clothing, Shoes, Equipment" board.
I've noticed that, too. Threads are more likely to be seen in GD than the other forums like Bargain Watch or Recipe Box.

The News and Events forum may as well be eliminated, since no one seems to pay attention to it or post in it.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, submitting reviews, vf reviews