Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-14, 06:19 PM  
hotncmom

Physical changes in menopause?

What physical changes did you experience in late perimenopause/menopause? I am somewhere in the middle of this process (my last period was 6 months after the previous period and I have been experiencing irregular cycles for at least a couple of years) and I have lost the level of fitness I used to be able to work at. I feel like I have lost strength and get fatigued easier. In addition, I have cellulite popping up all over my body, even in places I don't tend to store fat. I am also finding it extremely difficult to lose the extra weight I've gained over the last year.

Is this pretty typical with the hormone changes that go along with this time of life? Is there something I can do about it?

Thanks!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 06:29 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I would say the change in skin texture is the worst thing I've experienced. My legs don't look as sleek as they once did and the skin on my arms and abs isn't as taut. I wouldn't call it cellulite because I have the same body fat I always did, but yeah... a definite change in the texture.

I have not lost any strength or moblility or energy. In fact, at age 57 I just ran my fastest 10K ever. I'm pretty happy that I am still increasing my speed at my age. I am also lifting heavier than I ever have. I attribute all of this mainly to the fact that I have more time now to train and run than I ever have in the past.

I think that you'll find that once you're through menopause (haven't had a period in a year) you will get back to where you were. While the physical changes are pretty much inevitable, I think working out is the best way to minimize them.

Good luck! You'll be fine!
Old 07-14-14, 07:00 PM  
mtngoat

Yes, I agree with Jeanne Marie that the change in skin texture is the worst thing I have experienced. I am nowhere near as lean as she is, so mine looks more like cellulite! My legs and arms are fairly slim and muscular, but the skin isn't great. Darn it! (I'm blond and fair and had some burns in my early years, so that contributes. I've been faithful to sunscreen as long as exercise though!)

I gained weight, esp. in the midriff, during peri-menopause. I was advised not to worry about this weight until after menopause, that it would help make my transition easier. It was sage advice! I had my last period almost 13 months ago, and all added weight is gone. Plus some that had crept up over the years - I am back to my best size (not my smallest or most fashionable, but healthiest).

Strangely, a lot of people get a pot-belly after menopause. I had one before but it is totally gone! So my abs look the best they have in years, maybe ever, but once again the skin isn't as taut as before.

My energy level is still high, but I get injured a lot more easily than I used to.

So there's good and bad! Good luck!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 08:08 PM  
Footballnut

OMG!!!!! Menopause has been the most !@#$%^& irritating time of my life. I have had some seriously aggravating and debilitating symptoms because of it. I am 49 and had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and even though I have ovaries, they shut down about a year ago. I use bioidentical hormones and I have to use them just for quality of life issues. Otherwise, I have severe joint pain, very low energy levels, terrible brain fog, hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, irritation, and I pretty much feel like crawling into a corner and curling up into the fetal position. I cannot function, so this is what I mean when I say it is a quality of life issue for me. I did gain weight mostly in the mid section. I am just now figuring out where my "sweet spot" is with my doses, though. It is different for every woman. If your symptoms are intolerable, you might have to use hormone replacement therapy too, but I highly recommend going with bioidenticals if this is the case. Good luck!
Old 07-14-14, 08:51 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I was post-menopausal before I knew what was happening. At age 38.

I was having irregular periods, and actually thought my weight was screwing them up. Went to the doc and she announced I was post menopausal and put me on hormone replacement therapy, so I don't really know if I got out of most of the symptoms or if I still have those to face at some point.

Skin texture is my most noticeable thing too. I'm all crepey now.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 10:05 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I have a spare tire that I didn't have before. Also, low energy level. Insomnia might have something to do with this and a general crankiness when I'm not well rested.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 11:34 PM  
Demeris

Crepe-y skin. A neck I don't recognize.

I have to work on flexibility and balance--things I took for granted before menopause.

It's wonderful not to have any more periods. It's not wonderful having hot flashes that wake me up two or three times a night.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 04:23 AM  
sunday

I am menopausal but have to say the worst changes I had were during the six months I took HRT - horrid cravings, huge weight gain, bad skin, fibrocystic breast changes. For personal reasons after seeing the doctor I went off it cold turkey and after four months was back to normal completely. Meno has not affected my weight or skin; the only thing I notice are some hot flashes, but I do yoga breathing and am able to get through them fine. My DH does tend to wear a hoodie in the house now, though, as higher AC also helps.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 04:55 AM  
suzannaerin

I am pretty sure I'm through menopause or at the tail end of it (I'm still taking BCPs, but my gyn is probably going to cut me off next year. The pill I'm on--Mircette--eliminated my periods when I went on it in my 30s). Like everyone else, the worst thing is the change in your skin texture. Luckily, no problems in growing/keeping muscle, and my energy level is good. Loss of flexibility, too, so I've had to incorporate much more stretching/yoga and have a monthly deep muscle massage. Years of sitting at work and poor posture also has taken its toll. The final indignity is the increased facial hair and thinning hair, change in hair texture.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 05:52 AM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I am pretty sure I'm through menopause or at the tail end of it (I'm still taking BCPs, but my gyn is probably going to cut me off next year. The pill I'm on--Mircette--eliminated my periods when I went on it in my 30s). Like everyone else, the worst thing is the change in your skin texture. Luckily, no problems in growing/keeping muscle, and my energy level is good. Loss of flexibility, too, so I've had to incorporate much more stretching/yoga and have a monthly deep muscle massage. Years of sitting at work and poor posture also has taken its toll. The final indignity is the increased facial hair and thinning hair, change in hair texture.
Oh yea! I did not even take those things into consideration. My hair is much thinner (I used to have very thick hair) and I do get peach fuzz on my face that I didn't have before and my skin has definitely changed. Sometimes I feel so horrid that I forget about those things.

Tags
aging, bioidentical hormones, facial machines, menopause, peri-menopause, self-esteem, skin care, vaginal dryness, vintage vfers