Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-14, 10:37 AM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
To NotThatGirl, I can only comment on the Hips Class, and I had the same apprehension that you have. The Hips class sort of reminded me of Eionn's yoga in that he always has at least one pose that I can't do - usually with some binding or a pose requiring a lot of upper body strength and balance. I just stay at the original version of the pose when he goes further.

That's how Hips was except there may have been 2 or 3 poses that he took further that I just couldn't do.

I'm hopeful that the other practices are about the same difficulty, but I don't know from personal experience yet. There was another VFer whose name I forget that had the downloads for a few months. I asked her the same question you asked and she basically reassured me that if you can handle UY, you can handle most of Vytas's classes with definitely room to grow.

I really like the vibe Vytas gives so I'm really happy I got these.

Kim
Thanks for much for your opinion Kim. That is pretty much exactly where I am. Every time I have ever done one of Eoin's the same type of pose trips me up. I like Vytas a lot to and really hope I can pick up this set sometime soon. Thanks again
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 07:50 PM  
Mickey12

I did the first 30 minutes of Core this evening. The teaching tip for this disc explains how to do a triangle head stand. I tried it like Vytas explains and I actually could do it with my knees balanced on my arms. It feels pretty similar to crow/crane to me. His version continues on with raising your legs straight up and then progressing to toe taps by bending at your hips and bringing straight legs down to the floor and then back up again repeating. That's going to be a very long stretch for me! I'll be pretty pleased with myself if it I can just get my legs straight up.

I only had time for part of the practice so I can't comment on everything, but the first 30 minutes are challenging but not impossible. There is nothing overly difficult in the poses, it's just the continuous focus on the core that is hard. Vytas does a really good job (like I believe Travis does) of knowing exactly when to back off and give you a break.

I enjoyed the first portion of the practice and ab work is not my favorite. I expect the remaining 30 minutes of the class will have more difficult poses.

I'd love to hear what others think about these practices.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 09:12 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I did the first 30 minutes of Core this evening. The teaching tip for this disc explains how to do a triangle head stand. I tried it like Vytas explains and I actually could do it with my knees balanced on my arms. It feels pretty similar to crow/crane to me. His version continues on with raising your legs straight up and then progressing to toe taps by bending at your hips and bringing straight legs down to the floor and then back up again repeating. That's going to be a very long stretch for me! I'll be pretty pleased with myself if it I can just get my legs straight up.

I only had time for part of the practice so I can't comment on everything, but the first 30 minutes are challenging but not impossible. There is nothing overly difficult in the poses, it's just the continuous focus on the core that is hard. Vytas does a really good job (like I believe Travis does) of knowing exactly when to back off and give you a break.

I enjoyed the first portion of the practice and ab work is not my favorite. I expect the remaining 30 minutes of the class will have more difficult poses.

I'd love to hear what others think about these practices.

Kim
This is really helpful, please keep the comments coming because it's really helpful for me. Part of me told myself I had no business ordering it since it's advanced but it sounds like I will be able to do it. And hearing that the instruction is good is making me want to take the plunge even more!
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 03:46 AM  
Country Girl

I'm pretty sure I want this set, however, I was wondering if I would subscribe to Udaya online, would I have access to all of the same content as the DVDs?

Thanks,
Carrie
Old 04-14-14, 05:12 AM  
daisyduke

No, carrie. Their online content is totally different.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 06:49 AM  
Country Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
No, carrie. Their online content is totally different.
Thanks! I thought it might be too much to hope the practices online would be the same as the DVD.
Old 04-14-14, 07:40 PM  
kariev34

Come on people! The suspense waiting for more reviewers is killing me!
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 07:00 AM  
Mickey12

I did the Twists class last night. It's 68 minutes. The teaching tips section is all about learning how to properly twist while keeping your hips square. Vytas does a great job of explaining how to position your body. I really relate to him. He has a sensibility to him that I really, really enjoy.

The practice begins with some easy stretching poses then sun saluations A and B to get warm. He sometimes stops cueing during the saluations, figuring, I guess, that if you're doing an advanced yoga practice, you know how to do sun saluations. For most poses he cues so well that I don't have to see the TV.

The twist poses are achievable and held just the right length of time. I had to come out of some early, but for the most part I found them really enjoyable. I'm not very bendy and tend to be tight. Towards the end of class he does some difficult poses such as side crow and other side arm balances. I can't do those, but I didn't feel defeated because they are towards the end of class and by then I felt like I had put in a lot of good work. He does a headstand twist which is awesome to watch. I marvel at those who can achieve it. I just did a triangle headstand with my knees on my elbows for a short time (can't hold it very long).

The mediation and relaxation portion at the end of class is short - 2 minutes of seated mediation and 2 minutes of savasana.

I love this series; so happy I got it. I love the instruction Vytas gives. He has a realistic and smart way of approaching yoga. It's not too much philosophy and love yourself stuff, but he doesn't ignore the mind/body connection either. He's just right.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 08:41 AM  
Becky

Thanks Mickey for your review of the twists class. It sounds awesome.

I'm curious, has anyone who pre-ordered late (Feb or March) receive theirs yet? I have access to the downloads but I have only done one practice because I have to play it on my laptop or touch pad and both have smaller screens and lower volume than my TV, so I'm looking so forward to getting these on DVD.

In the meantime, I love reading the reviews. These really sound amazing and just what I'm needing.

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows . ~ Buddha
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 09:20 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Thanks Mickey for your review of the twists class. It sounds awesome.

I'm curious, has anyone who pre-ordered late (Feb or March) receive theirs yet? I have access to the downloads but I have only done one practice because I have to play it on my laptop or touch pad and both have smaller screens and lower volume than my TV, so I'm looking so forward to getting these on DVD.

In the meantime, I love reading the reviews. These really sound amazing and just what I'm needing.
Becky, I ordered late and received it last week. In fact, it was within a week of ordering.

I'm not aware of the downloads though. Did we get downloads also? TIA
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deepen your practice, udaya.com, vytas, vytas baskauskas