Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-14, 08:33 AM  
SEV

Best streaming device for workouts?

I'm ready to get something to stream video to my TV. I will mostly be using it for workouts, so I want to be sure to have all options available!

Thanks,
Susan
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 10:34 AM  
BigBadBetty

It depends on what you have already and what you want to do. I don't think there is a best.

To me the easiest and most flexible is to just hook up my laptop directly to the TV with the HDMI cable. I spent under $10 for the cable. We permanently have a PlayStation 3 hooked up. That works great for Amazon Instant Video and YouTube. However, it doesn't work with all streaming services.

If you have an iPad, you might want to think about AppleTV. There is also Chromecast, Roku and Amazon's new device.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 11:16 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Smart TV?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 12:59 PM  
deineira

I do a lot of streaming workouts...more than DVD these days, and I have a Mac mini that's attached to my tv at all times. This is how I stream workouts. The mini is hard wired to my modem, so I have a great connection. If DH is hogging the tv, then I use my iPad or laptop and wifi. I also use our home Mac, which has a huge screen. That one is also hard wired. These all work perfectly for me.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 01:32 PM  
Honeydew

is it possible to stream through a Roku?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 02:14 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Gilad streams through Roku. So does Pilates Anytime and/or Pilatesology. I don't remember which it was or if it was both. There are a few free fitness sites on Roku. At least they were free last time I looked. Those are the only ones I'm familiar with. You get a code from the website to enter into Roku. I haven't had any trouble with the ones I use.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 02:17 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Since I download the majority of the online workouts and then load them into my iTunes library, AppleTV is by far the best for me.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 02:23 PM  
Tinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
To me the easiest and most flexible is to just hook up my laptop directly to the TV with the HDMI cable. I spent under $10 for the cable.
This is what I do as well. I just keep my laptop hooked up to my tv all the time because I use a desktop computer for all of my other computer needs. Using my laptop makes me able to stream anything which I like.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 03:52 PM  
dmlarue1

You can save your files onto your computer and then download the plex app.
Then with plex you can stream from any roku, tablet or iphone. You can also share plex. If you have the plex app, I can add you as a friend and you can see all of my video library too. I have a lot of my DVDs in there as well because you can travel without a single dvd. I really love plex. We also have access to my brother in laws plex and he has a ton of movies on his.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 05:47 PM  
Thenu

I use Roku or Apple TV for streaming. For you tube I like to use Roku. Other websites I either use airplay(Apple TV) or Roku streaming from iPhone/ipad to TV. To stream from laptop to TV I use Plex with Roku.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote