Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-13, 06:11 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

The Spirit of Drop Two Sizes

I borrowed Rachel Cosgrove's Drop Two Sizes book from the library, and I really like the look of this program. The layout is very motivating and easy to follow, the menu plan looks very sane and do-able, and the workouts seem to cover all the bases (strength, cardio, recovery.)

However, I don't really like some of the exercises. I'm not really keen on heavy lifting, I don't like to follow book workouts and I don't want to buy a new set of DVDs. And, I can't live without Physique 57 in my rotation. I've learned this about myself. I'm an addict.

So, I was thinking I might follow D2S, but plug in my own workouts. I could do barre for the strength segments, and high intensity cardio stuff for the metabolic workouts (this morning I did an express premix from Cathe's Afterburn and that seems like a good substitute. I'm still not exactly clear on what makes a cardio workout 'metabolic,' though.)

What other workouts would make good substitutions? I have lots of older Cathe, lots of barre, Leslie and the like for active recovery days... I'm not sure what to input for the RAMP workouts, but I do have a foam roller at home and could do that on my own.

Any suggestions??
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 09:16 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have the DVD set, but haven't started it yet. I have to have DVDs, I can't do paper workouts.

I have no interest in the D2S cardio "metabolic" workouts. (And don't now what that means anyway.) I plan on doing an interval/HIIT workout on the cardio days and other cardio or flexibility work on the non-weight days.

I'm only interested in the lifting part of the set. Even then, I don't like all of the exercises and will substitute ones that I prefer.

I've gotten really good at modifying workouts and rotations to suit my tastes and goals.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 09:47 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I have no interest in the D2S cardio "metabolic" workouts. (And don't now what that means anyway.) I plan on doing an interval/HIIT workout on the cardio days and other cardio or flexibility work on the non-weight days.
Yes, can anyone explain the difference between 'metabolic' and interval training (and Hiit and tabata, for that matter)?? It seems to me that they're basically the same thing... am I wrong?
Old 08-16-13, 09:52 AM  
froggy

I thought metabolic was just the latest buzz word for hiit, but i'm probably wrong lo
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 09:54 AM  
hotncmom

I was under the impression that metabolic training is the new buzzword for AWT. To me, HIIT is straight up cardio.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:00 AM  
MKEMom

Yes, I've been under the impression that "metabolic" usually involves weights or bodyweight strength moves done at a fast enough rate to raise your heart rate. Or, just the idea of doing as many reps as you can of a specific move in a given amount of time.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:05 AM  
Zenara25

Metabolic Training uses compound moves (like a squat into a press) usually using med/heavy weights with hardly any break time in between exercise. This should burn lots of calories. And make you sweat and be breathless.

Interval Training is alternating low intensity moves with high intensity moves. This is usually cardio without weights. This burns fat long after the workout is over.

Hiit is high intensity moves for a period of time then a period of rest.
Tabata is a specific form of Hiit. 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest.

Please correct if anything I wrote is wrong. HTH!
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:09 AM  
mle777

I think Jillian likes to say that her workouts are metabolic training, right?

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:18 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
Metabolic Training uses compound moves (like a squat into a press) usually using med/heavy weights with hardly any break time in between exercise. This should burn lots of calories. And make you sweat and be breathless.

Interval Training is alternating low intensity moves with high intensity moves. This is usually cardio without weights. This burns fat long after the workout is over.

Tabata is a specific form of Hiit. 20 seconds of high intensity and 10 seconds of rest.

Thank you! What a fine primer. So they are pretty similar... but different.
Old 08-16-13, 10:19 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post

My thoughts too... and what hotncmom said.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, rachel cosgrove