Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-13, 04:40 PM  
ellaenchanted

Thanks F1 mom! I think that if I did get this program, it would be the book version. I really do mostly paper and downloads nowadays anyway. Hopefully, I'll find it in the bookstore so I can preview before I buy. I will most likely buy the kindle version so I can easily take it to the gym. Can you tell I am going all digital for exercise : ) I love not having the clutter!
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 05:10 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
Can you tell I am going all digital for exercise : ) I love not having the clutter!
You're welcome.

I'm moving at a glacier pace towards all digital workouts. I don't know why I'm resisting this so much but I am.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 07:19 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
I'm going to be the naysayer here. I dropped two sizes by doing 1 workout per day of 30 minutes and 10 minute bursts every one or two hours. By 'bursts' I mean 10 burpees, 30 jumping jacks or high knees, 30 squats or plies, that sort of thing.
My interest isn't really the drop two sizes claim, that would be nice but I really wouldn't expect that from this program since I am taking a break from dieting. Actually the title puts me off a little. I have Rachel Cosgroves other book and while the writing left something to be desired certain aspects of it kind of changed my exercise life. In her previous book, I liked the use of foam rolling and mobility work, the metabolic workouts, finishers and the warm up. I never actually followed the program but I've done the warm up from her other book frequently warming up for other workouts or programs. So I am curious to see them in action as I learned them from a book previously or to see if there are any improvements. The 10 minute bursts every hour or two sounds great though!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 07:47 PM  
princess76

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I think it's the best money I've spent this year honestly. I generally do not like rotations and commitments like this but I think the workouts are great and very well thought out. What i also love is that while many weight workouts leave my joints sore and require a lot of post-workout stretching, I don't find that to be the case with these workouts. She builds in a lot of stretching throughout the workout and I think the foam roller helps a lot too. The only negative I can see potentially is that I will have to continually go up in weights to remain challenged (maybe not - it's still early yet for me) so there could be a cost/space commitment there. So far i use 10's, 15s, and 20s and supplement with 18 lb and 22 lb kettlebells. Hope this helps.

Joan
I think it's positive you're gaining strength! I think that's the whole point of the rests between exercises, so you can really lift heavy. I love this set.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-13, 08:52 PM  
nevertoolate

Can someone who's doing this set tell me what equipment is required? And space? I've read references to TRX, high steps, very heavy (100+ lbs!) weights. I have a small workout space. (I do Jessica Smith's workouts fine. Enough room for CLX. Cathe -- probably not.) I have some lower weight dumbbells and the SelectTech dumbbell set. I'm interested in this set, but I don't want to buy more equipment.

And would you say it's intermediate? Advanced?

Thanks.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 07:51 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
I'm going to be the naysayer here. I dropped two sizes by doing 1 workout per day of 30 minutes and 10 minute bursts every one or two hours. By 'bursts' I mean 10 burpees, 30 jumping jacks or high knees, 30 squats or plies, that sort of thing.

If I had $30 burning a hole in my pocket now I'd put it towards the purchase of a 25 lb. kettlebell. I've done 75 swings with my 10 lb dumb bell 2 times in the last week and my butt is higher than it ever was. By that I mean when I lift it up I only have centimeters to go, not feet or yards like before.
I love this "bursts" concept. I have been doing 150 jumping jacks a day in 50 jack increments and think I will add even more in. I tried a kettlebell swing challenge last year and hurt my back, but may start slowly back in again to see how it goes. I think there is definitely a lot of merit in this way of working out. Thanks for your post.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to Drop Two Sizes
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 09:15 AM  
LeanneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
Can someone who's doing this set tell me what equipment is required? And space? I've read references to TRX, high steps, very heavy (100+ lbs!) weights. I have a small workout space. (I do Jessica Smith's workouts fine. Enough room for CLX. Cathe -- probably not.) I have some lower weight dumbbells and the SelectTech dumbbell set. I'm interested in this set, but I don't want to buy more equipment.

And would you say it's intermediate? Advanced?

Thanks.

Ann
Hi Ann,

I don't have the set yet (I just ordered it), but, from what I've picked up over on the other thread about it, you don't need a TRX system or super heavy weights. (It sounds like the TRX is used in the D2S book, but, even in the book, she shows modifications if you don't have a TRX system.)

I'm not sure about a step, but none of the clips show the exercisers using one, and I'm sure you could modify if it did call for one.

It also sounds like she uses a kettlebell, but shows modifications using dumbbells if you don't have a KB.

It sounds like a few people thought that the first phase was too easy, but I'm planning on increasing my weights to make it harder.

Hope that helps!
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 05:48 PM  
shaka02

Hi all -I just wrote some info about area and equipment in the longer thread about this system. Check it out and feel free to ask more if I missed info you would like to know.

If you follow the philosophy of the system and increase the weights you are using over time, then you should find the workouts very challenging. I'm sure that I won't need 100lb weights over the three months for this plan. Possibly a male who starts with a very strong foundation of strength will need that much weight???

Deb
shaka02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-13, 06:41 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Irrelevant post, but when I saw the thread title I was thoroughly confused and thought the poster may not be a native English speaker
I thought she wanted us to talk her in or out of wanting to lose two dress sizes..........like doesn't she know if she needs or wants that already?
Old 05-26-13, 07:51 PM  
Bearybuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I thought she wanted us to talk her in or out of wanting to lose two dress sizes..........like doesn't she know if she needs or wants that already?

I know I need to lose two dress sizes--and I caved on the dvds yesterday.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop two sizes, rachel cosgrove