Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-12, 12:07 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Wait--you say the Fitbit and Polar give you LOWER numbers than other calculators? I got the lowest number with the calculator Jeannine linked to. Or maybe the Fitbit, not sure. But those two both run lower than my Motoactv, which runs lower than any cardio machine.

I did Michelle Dozois's Peak Fit Cardio Interval today and used the Target feature on my Motoactv. Basically, you can give it a goal (calories burned, distance, etc.) and it'll let you know when you reach it. I didn't use earphones so I never heard the cue, but I did go above my target, which was 300 calories.

Today's graph is really interesting because it matches up exactly with the the way the workout is structured--a gradual climb, peak, then recovery. This time, I burned 400 calories in 40 minutes. I'm thinking I may seeing the "drift" effect you mentioned, but I also noticed that the peaks were much higher and more often than in CLX.

There's a segment on the Peak Fit DVD about Michelle's favorite weight loss tool. I had the audio off when I clicked to it, but I think it's a HRM. I'll have to watch it. I'm learning a lot from this HR data, even if it's relative info.

Jeannine, I was actually thinking that jumproping in place (while watching TV, etc.) would be a great way to get in some quick calorie burns! I should pull out my rebounder too.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 01:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

stationary bike vs. step aerobics:

IIRC, when i was on the stationary bike, wearing my HRM, recall i mentioned that it was showing a high HR, fairly quickly, and i wasn't exhausted. part of it is that i rarely use the stationary bike. i can control the intensity too - i think i had it on medium intensity, and at the time, i had just purchased the bike.

i think the newness was a factor in my body trying to acclimate to that type of training vs. step aerobics. the muscles used are definitely different - Pratima, as you said, "stepping up and down" vs. all lower body pedaling.

i'll have to try it again and compare.

Pratima - jump roping: i should follow my own advice. i used to work out to Gilad's show on The Health Channel (pre-FitTv days), and during commercials, i'd jump rope for about 2 min. i lost a good bit of weight doing that. and i only worked out for 30 min (net 20 min of gilad's show since they break for commercials, and 3 segments of commercials which lasted about 10 min).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 02:43 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Jeannine, I thought of one other thing today. In a lot of aerobic workouts, they tell you to exaggerate your movements because that gets your heart rate higher. Your movements doing step are a lot different from your movement on a bike, so that might affect your HR and even perceived exertion.

I honestly find that sometimes a cardio machine is easier because it's a simple, repetitive motion within a set range. I can work harder by moving faster or increasing resistance. If I'm working out at home, whether step or floor aerobics, I have to move more or make my movements larger and somehow that feels like more work.

However, having seen the HR and calorie burn comparison, I'm thinking simple cardio is the way to go! I love that today's workout burned so many calories! It FELT tough, but really only during the "peak" part of each segment.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 07-26-12, 01:57 PM  
slysam

Pratima, I hope you are still having fun with your hrm. So my new bluetooth hrm strap arrived. Sadly, I only had a chance to exercise one of the two days I have had it. But it seems to work well and will link to my existing hrm watch and it also links to my phone (yay!) I used it with the digifit app and it gives similar charts thoughout the workout to the ones you attached from your device. It picks up my heart rate well, but I was surprised the calorie burn it gave me was even lower than my hrm and fitbit (most fitbit users post they get a much higher burn for certain activities from their hrm). I need to try Jeannines formulas. I think the digifit burn is net not gross, this is the first time I ran into this, but even so it seems lower but that accounts for some of the difference. Well, I bought the optional test upgrades in this app that includes some tests to figure out your personal zones, changes in aerobic fitness, etc. I tried one after another workout and I am pretty happy with the zones it set for me, but it's estimate of my VO2Max is much lower than my hrm's estimate or the estimate I figured from some other tests (which was close to what my polar estimate). Since I didn't workout yesterday, I should be well rested so maybe I will try to test again. It is kind of neat that it does this though. And it seems to have the ability to let you set different zones for different activities, but it only has a finite list of activities then "other" for everything else.

I agree that sometimes repetitive activities make it easier to get and keep the heart rate up for me anyway. For years, my main source of cardio was dance (still is to a large extent). Dance can be vigorous, but often times, following choreographies feels hard but more in terms of coordination, range of motion, balance and not so much in terms of heart rate response. I notice the same when I follow some kick boxing or step aerobics dvds that use complicated combinations, but I am sure my learning curve is steep with those genres anyway. I think they are still very beneficial and good for brain and body coordination. I notice a lot lot of the drill oriented cardio where you do a simple movement for a minute or so then switch give me a higher heart rate. And it is easy to up or down the intensity just by going faster or slower, jumping higher or keeping it lower impact, etc.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 02:22 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Still loving mine, and still learning from it! Slysam, how much lower were your numbers? I'm really surprised to hear that it's lower than your other HRM, especially with all the personalization. As far as net vs. gross, I would think that would only make a huge difference with a longer workout. Right? Or maybe with a shorter? Can't wrap my head around the math.

My Fitbit doesn't record HR at all, of course, and its calorie counts are always much lower than my HRM. From using the HRM during different activities, I'm beginning to see some patterns.

Today I was on the elliptical for 40 minutes doing an iClimb workout. The calorie burn was very similar to my Peak Fit Interval workout earlier this week (10 calorie difference), though both were the same length (10 second difference). I could tell from the graphs that the iClimb was much more steady-state (for me) even though it incorporates intervals of more resistance and faster speeds. What's funny is that I somehow thought I could work out harder on a machine and burn more calories, maybe because I could easily adjust resistance. This iClimb doesn't go that high though, or that fast. And it's probably easier to get on a machine and adjust resistance than to make yourself jump higher.

Maybe the lesson so far is that calorie burn is relatively similar between different activities whether steady-state or more interval-ish. If you're too exhausted for HIIT, steady-state will still do the job if you maintain a slightly heavier level of exertion for about the same amount of time. My average HR for both aerobic workouts was the same.

Of course, I have read that calorie burn AFTER a workout is higher if you do HIIT. I wonder if I could wear my HRM all day and figure that out? I know the Motoactv has to be recording a workout to read HR. Sitting at my desk probably wouldn't count.

Tags
abb, aerobic base building, calorie burn counter, heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, heartrate monitor, hrm