Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-12, 02:21 PM  
ssgilby

Uggh, Cali, that sucks! I guess we have to expect that HRMs can only provide estimates at best but still, to have two HRMs be so totally different, especially when they're the same brand, is really bad. Have you e-mailed Polar to see if they can give you any explanation? Perhaps your new one is defective. I would contact them and see if they can replace it. If the next one is off too, then they'd better come up with some other answers. Good luck!

ETA - Did you happen to compare your heart rate measurements with each one? Were they the same? Perhaps one isn't catching all the heart beats or something.
Old 05-30-12, 02:23 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby View Post
Uggh, Cali, that sucks! I guess we have to expect that HRMs can only provide estimates at best but still, to have two HRMs be so totally different, especially when they're the same brand, is really bad. Have you e-mailed Polar to see if they can give you any explanation? Perhaps your new one is defective. I would contact them and see if they can replace it. If the next one is off too, then they'd better come up with some other answers. Good luck!
i was going to call them... but then looking on their forums... any time anyone brings up the low numbers or differences in their own HRMs (including posts about the F11 and FT60) they just say not to compare the two...

one thread, the polar mod actually said to just choose one of the polars to use/get stats from

apparently others have sent in their FT60s for "repair" but still have the same issue....

maybe i'll call anyways just for my own peace of mind....
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 02:47 PM  
marmact

Let us know what you find out. I was very nearly enabled when you posted the pics. I'm glad I held off on ordering.

Does the FT60 require you to wear the band around your chest? I'm always in search of a HRM that doesn't require this, but perhaps it's a pipe dream.
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 02:51 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Let us know what you find out. I was very nearly enabled when you posted the pics. I'm glad I held off on ordering.

Does the FT60 require you to wear the band around your chest? I'm always in search of a HRM that doesn't require this, but perhaps it's a pipe dream.
yes.... all polars require the chest strap.... however it is VERY comfortable! the whole thing is soft!
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 03:17 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
yes.... i set it all up with all the info did the fit test, etc....

i found a thread where they are talking about adjusting your age based on your true BMR making sure to use your fat%.... but i never had to do that with the F11 and if i really have to do that... that irks me
The FT60 is definitely a bit more involved to set up. Again, once it's all set up, it's like having your own personal trainer though. It's an awesome tool!

I've only owned Polar, and my other Polar actually showed an even lower calorie burn than my FT60. I've never had high calorie burns unless I work out for 2 hours or more.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 12:27 AM  
ramonam

Just showing everyone is different, when I had the F11 and wore my bodybugg, the calorie burn on the F11 was always much higher. I would start the digital display for the bodybugg and the HRM at the same time, so it was measuring the exact same period.

When I got the FT60, the calorie burn has been much more inline with what my bodybugg says. Usually it's a bit higher, maybe 20-30 calories for 450 burned. With the F11, the difference was always in the 100's.

It is really frustrating when you're trying to figure out what's making the difference -- setting, input, etc. I'm lucky the FT60 solved that for me
ramonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-12, 06:50 AM  
Sharaz

My two Polar's shows the same calorie burn pretty much (FT40 & RS300X)
My SO have the FT60 and never have any problem with it. He burn 1000-1500 calories per weight lifting session. Of course is a male, taller and a beast at the gym

I was thinking that may be either your F11 or FT60 are defective. The F11 is older, maybe that one is not working well. Also, you can look at your max HR per workout and verify if match the intensity that you felt during the session. By comparing the BMP number with your perceive exertion you can assume which one is more accurate.
Old 06-26-12, 10:29 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
The FT7s seem to be glitchy. I had an older Polar model that lasted about 4 -5 years. When it died I replaced it with an FT7. It only lasted about 11 months. Seems like a lot of people are not having good luck with the FT7s.

I've been HRMless for well over a year and I'd kind of like to get a new one, but I like the FT7's price point and that I already know how to navigate the dang thing. I don't really want to spend a gazillion bucks and get something that I practically need a second college degree to operate.

However, I think getting another FT7 might be throwing good money after bad.

Not sure what to do, actually....
Today I had my first problem with my (up to this point) wonderful FT7.

I was in the middle of a workout and looked down to see what my HR was. It said "check the transmitter" and I couldn't get it to turn off. Eventually I figured out to press the button on the other side and it went back to my HR, which was 00. I turned it off and wrote down my stats and when I turned it back on, it was working again. So I missed the stats for half of my workout.

It's only a few months old so the battery shouldn't be weak. This annoys me because I'm very much a data collector and I hate it when I can't depend on the equipment.
Old 06-26-12, 04:12 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Today I had my first problem with my (up to this point) wonderful FT7.

I was in the middle of a workout and looked down to see what my HR was. It said "check the transmitter" and I couldn't get it to turn off. Eventually I figured out to press the button on the other side and it went back to my HR, which was 00. I turned it off and wrote down my stats and when I turned it back on, it was working again. So I missed the stats for half of my workout.

It's only a few months old so the battery shouldn't be weak. This annoys me because I'm very much a data collector and I hate it when I can't depend on the equipment.
Make sure you are washing the strap that goes on your chest after every wear. This is what happened to me. After I did a thorough 10 minute washing, the problem stopped. But, it still could be the battery.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 04:21 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Make sure you are washing the strap that goes on your chest after every wear. This is what happened to me. After I did a thorough 10 minute washing, the problem stopped. But, it still could be the battery.
Do you have one of the newer, softer straps? I do wash it in the laundry but don't wash it everytime I use it.

Tags
heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, heartrate monitor, hrm, polar