Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-11, 08:12 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

For those who are afraid their reviews will be judged,

don't worry about it.

Lisa (our wonderful reviews maven) mentioned in a thread on reviews that some people are (may be) concerned that reviews posted in the review section are held to a higher standard than those that people post on the general discussion threads.

I can assure you that nobody does more basic reviews than I.
The most technical word I use with assurety is "thigh."

I came to exercise late, too late to learn the lingo (the only peck I know is what I buy at the farmers market and the fewer flies I see there the better).

I get confused over what a set is as opposed to a rep. So I will say you do that movement four times six times together for a total of 24 times (no, I really don't. I just say "you do that movement a bunch of times." I tend to lose concentration after 16 times. Blame it on drill team.)

I describe moves like lay on the floor and raise the leg that is on top.

Even with six years of drill team back in the mid to late 20th century, I still
can't tell if an instructor is "on beat."

Because I detest high impact and I detest being screamed at, even in the excitement of it all, I naturally shy away from Asylum and P90X and anything else with a scary name/instructor.

And because I am cheap, I don't do the latest and greatest. I wait for it to show up at my thrift stores or my Wal-Mart or my Target. Since I can't jump very high, most bandwagons pass me by without my even trying to get on board, which is a good thing because my attention span is minimal and the thought of doing anything for 90 days other than eating and breathing is terrifying to me.

But I do know what I like. I do know what feels good when I do it and what hurts when I do it. I do know if the music is pleasant, fun or annoying. I know if the set intrudes on the workout or if I spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for a wardrobe malfunction. So that is what I share.

Really, whatever DVD you are doing is something everybody wants to hear about, and I would venture to guess many of us want that kind of gut reaction. Everybody's baseline is different, yes, but there are many with your same neighborhood of baseline.

Did you like it. Will I want to hunt the instructor/backgrounders down and pull out their fake nails. Will I worry that my 6-y-o is going to get an anatomy lesson if they are watching it with me. Will the set make me wince every time someone does a double side step (for me, a technical phrase) that they are going to crash into some furniture. Did it hurt a particular part of my body (knee, shoulder, neck).

If you can throw in there impact level, if you felt it was fun, if the backgrounders looked like they were into it, all the better.

I am unable to do it (obviously), but less is quite often the best.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I just love to read the reviews that convey the essence of the workout as much as the move-by-move breakdown.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 08:26 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I agree. I read a comment on a thread recently about a new workout not being intense enough for that person. Just the way it was worded, off the cuff and from the heart, made me realize that workout would be perfect for me! In one short paragraph.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 08:32 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I get confused over what a set is as opposed to a rep.
Just the other day I was doing a workout with a compound move (or is it combination or functional move?), and the instructor said "four more sets," and I'm thinking: is it a rep or is it a set? Honestly, it's all pretty confusing (just ask Cathe)!

Because I make charts for myself, I tend to post break-downs, but lately my reviews themselves are pretty spare. But, I figure I'll get them up and hope that others add.

So, ITA!!

I love all kinds of reviews -- there's nothing more interesting than someone else's $.02 worth!!! One VFers Joni O. is another VFers ....hmmm, we need a new name/word!
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 08:33 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Renda, THANK YOU!!! Now I need to get off my own derriere and write some reviews myself

And you were NOT long-winded at all. You have offered encouragement to us all and that is so needed
Old 12-28-11, 08:55 AM  
Donna D

Renda - great post. Thank you!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:31 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Renda - Thanks for posting that. It's true. Like someone else said, I've perked up when reading a review about how a workout is "too easy" and decided to check it out. You never know what will catch someone's attention.

I'm a naturally wordy person (the people in the editing department here at work tell me this is true) and I'd hate to see someone turned off from posting a review in the reviews database because of something some of us can't help doing.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:34 AM  
turbo1

Thanks Renda, your post is encouraging to me (and others I'm sure) about posting more reviews.
Old 12-28-11, 09:37 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm a naturally wordy person (the people in the editing department here at work tell me this is true) and I'd hate to see someone turned off from posting a review in the reviews database because of something some of us can't help doing.
Same here. I tend to post lengthy breakdowns...simply because I like to do it. I absolutely would NOT expect that of every review -- that would be crazy! I enjoy reading the succinct reviews that say (in a few sentences) what takes me several paragraphs!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:38 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you Renda! I am very intimidated at the thought of writing a review. There are several VF'ers who write such beautifully detailed reviews, and I appreciate them very much. I know I would not be up to that standard, so I think whatever I would write would not be nearly as helpful.

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-11, 09:39 AM  
SpiritSong

Great post, Renda. I will do my best to do my duty in 2012.

Since I am starting January with a Turbo Jam rotation, perhaps I will add my review to all of those (all except the ball workouts). Although I worry my reviews will be influenced by how far I am into 2012.

Jan. 1st - Chalene is the best instructor ever! So much energy!!

Jan. 15th - Wow, that Chalene sure keeps going, doesn't she. Does the cast really have to smile THAT big throughout the whole workout?

Jan. 30th - Thank goodness the month is ending. If I have to see Chalene's stupid gansta mom face one more time . . .

Tags
reviews, soap box