Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-11, 08:16 PM  
jplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
If you look at studies of people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a long time, they exercise a lot on average. It doesn't matter what they do.
I've read this before, but personally, it was not my experience. I lost 60 pounds (50 pounds if counting from my highest non-pregnant weight) without any exercise and maintained it for 5 years without any exercise. I do wonder what it was that made me successful without exercise, when for others it seems to be a requirement.
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 08:18 PM  
Missiscipi

I am 37, lost over 100lbs last year and I have been working out off and on since mid last year after a 3 year hiatus and I workout about an hour per day and Saturdays sometimes longer than a hour. My main choice is kettlebells but I just got finished with Asylum. I plan on going back to kettlebells next week. The main thing that got me in shape and keeps me that way is diet and exercising consistently.

I wasn't active as a teen (only walking) so I wasn't fit but I was skinny. When I hit my mid 20s I was around 170 and at 25 I lost 50lbs bringing me down to 120....I worked out to Taebo and Margaret Richards till about 28 and then stopped and gained it all back. At 32 I started working out again because I was going to get married, so I did Taebo, then Cathe, Squeeze and got plantar fasciitis in 2006 (after only getting back into exercising for maybe a year). I stopped until last year due to the foot issues and also getting pregnant and feeling like there was no point since I was so big. I saw a picture of myself http://couchtokettlebells.blogspot.c...ed-it-all.html and decided I HAD to do something. So I lost the weight and got back into working out with a vengeance and here I am I feel great and I KNOW anyone can do it....you just gotta want it bad enough and stay focused on your goals.
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 08:22 PM  
2ndgen

Wow, great results, Rozy, for you both in those pics!

Excellent work.

Yea, anyone can do it if they want it and stay focused! Woot!
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 08:25 PM  
eulila

Bumping because I am hoping there are more 40+ who have been able to lose and maintain. I need the inspiration.
eulila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 08:26 PM  
2ndgen

Smile

I think research shows that while people certainly can take the weight off without exercise, they tend to exercise a lot to maintain over time. But I am no expert, that is just what I glean from my years of research and personal experience on lasting weight loss.

ITA that individual experience might vary from person to person.

Btw, I did not see your post when I posted as I guess I was typing while you were posting.

So wasn't responding to you, just rambling.

Congrats on your weight loss.

ETA to add that even if I could maintain without exercise, which my experience shows me that I cannot (gained some during a period of injury last year when I didn't really exercise at all and did watch my diet, and that has been made clear to me over the years when I cut exercise too much), I would not want to, as exercise makes me feel happy and I look and feel great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
I've read this before, but personally, it was not my experience. I lost 60 pounds (50 pounds if counting from my highest non-pregnant weight) without any exercise and maintained it for 5 years without any exercise. I do wonder what it was that made me successful without exercise, when for others it seems to be a requirement.
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 08:28 PM  
Missiscipi

I have to exercise to keep from gaining the weight back (good thing I love exercising huh?) or I wouldn't be able to eat ANYTHING lol. I can look at dessert and gain weight!
Old 05-14-11, 09:17 PM  
sophie kat

I don't really have much to add to this thread since I started my weight loss and workout journey in my 20's, which I know is not really the same as starting after 35.

Rozy, I just came from looking at the before picture n your blog and I just wanted to say Congratulations to you...and your hubby! Wow. What a great story and you look fantastic! Enjoy your success.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 09:31 PM  
Missiscipi

Thanks Sophie! I credit alot of my success to VF! The motivation here is priceless!
Old 05-14-11, 10:48 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
can't say the D word on this forum but that is what took weight off, exercise created the body and helped the D.
And for weight loss, if that is an issue, it is about the D word.
I don't know where so many people got the idea you can't use the word DIET on here. Patently false. What you cannot do is mention specifics, i.e. low carb, low fat, specific foods, etc.

There are plenty of people who never exercise yet maintain their figure through diet alone. Not starvation or deprivation, just portion control. People lived that way for years before Jane Fonda "discovered" exercise in the Seventies. If you want to eat more, you have to burn off the calories. God only knows how fat I'd be now if I didn't exercise. Like Gwyneth, I love food so I exercise, but as a carboholic, it's a constant battle.
Old 05-14-11, 10:49 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

I have always been active and exercised. I did a lot of running in my 20's. Then when I was 30 I had my first baby and ended up having 4 babies in 5 years. Last year when I was 37 I realized that my baby was now 18 months, done nursing and I had no reason to hold onto the last 15 lbs I'd been carrying around. I did a P90X rotation (as written) and lost all my weight and lots of inches (3 inches off my waist alone!). Since then I did a CLX rotation and then fell in love with barre workouts last September. Since September I've primarily been doing 4-5 days per week of barre (or TA) and usually 2 days per week of cardio (often kickboxing). Now that I've found barre workouts I have no desire to revisit P90X however it was very effective at changing my body.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspiration, menopause, motivation, perimenopause, results, significant weight loss, success stories, success story, weight loss