Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-11, 05:27 PM  
cpcathy

I've soured on my Zumba DVDs and gave them away.
I do love Petra Kolber's dance videos, 321 Dance and Just Dance are favorites. Jenn Galardi can (almost) do no wrong.
Right now I am rediscoering my Core Rhythms DVDs, I bought the Sculpting DVDs on Amazon for $4.99 and really love the one cardio workout, so fun! Lots of kick ball change moves, which I love.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 12:20 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Have only done the Intermediate workout so far and still have the Advanced workout to try but sounds like you are looking for Kukuwa's new *Move Your Boombsey* Adult workout dvd to me.

http://www.kukuwadanceworkout.com/shop.php

simple moves to follow but plenty of intensity and great music.
I'm almost scared to try the Advanced workout!

Barb S
who is about to try some of the Youth dvd soon
I just read your review on this. I can't follow the link right now, but I'll take a look at it later. It sounds like a blast!
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 12:21 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I do love Petra Kolber's dance videos, 321 Dance and Just Dance are favorites. Jenn Galardi can (almost) do no wrong.
Right now I am rediscoering my Core Rhythms DVDs, I bought the Sculpting DVDs on Amazon for $4.99 and really love the one cardio workout, so fun! Lots of kick ball change moves, which I love.
What soured you on the Zumbas?

Also, a general question for all: is carpet floor really bad for zumba? Oh and would there be a problem doing Kukuwa on carpet?
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 12:29 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMinx View Post

On to the reviews:

Quenia Ribeiro's samba dvids (any). There are about 4 dvds that follow the same general format of tutorial then 30 min warmup and the routine, which includes a final 10 minutes at the fast (or normal Brazilian) speed. Quenia has an accent and uses weird descriptions at times for the actions but I've found the workouts fun. The tutorial itself is BRUTAL. I have burned massive amounts of calories alone on the tutorial. If you ever wondered how some Brazilian women stayed thin, it is the samba. You move legs, arms, torso, shoulders, etc. If you are don't like choreography, stick to the tutorial. If you bore easily, do the tutorial a few times and then jump to the routine. I usually skip the warmup unless I scheduled a long stretching session. I have reserved the fast version for special occasions as everything burns.
Question - this is the one Latin dance that I have had a huge difficulty learning - I can do the footwork, or I can move my hips, but I simply cannot do both together. Do any of these DVD's truly teach you how to Samba? If so, I'm all over them.
Old 02-24-11, 01:07 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Question - this is the one Latin dance that I have had a huge difficulty learning - I can do the footwork, or I can move my hips, but I simply cannot do both together. Do any of these DVD's truly teach you how to Samba? If so, I'm all over them.
Hi Andtckrtoo, I took Samba classes twice a week for about a year (until my Samba teacher moved away last year). I think the Quenia dvds teach real Samba as I understand it anyway. (I am a beginner who has only studied with one person other than dvds). I haven't actually followed her tutorial because I get bored easily and just want to dance but I think if I were a total beginner to Samba I would have to as the steps move kind of fast. There is a learning curve before you get a good workout--but even if you are not there if you just keep moving at a similar pace as the instructor you should get a good workout (If I get lost I just practice the "Samba Basic" until I am ready to rejoin). I have a non-workout one where she teaches a couple routines and the cardio samba dvd. The Cardio Samba is kind of like interval training as she does each combination slowly (like 1/2 time or maybe slower) for a while then does it at full speed (which is very fast) before moving on to the next combination. It does have a bit of a TIFT add on style, but I actually like it in this case as you need to be familiar with the moves to really dance them so you get better with later repetitions. It moves along at a nice pace though.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 01:23 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMinx View Post
Ok, I'm back! I've made a list of the dance cardio that I've done and my thoughts on each based on my own preferences.
Hi Dance Minx, I think we have a lot of similarities in our taste in dance dvds! Thanks for the description of the Pusseycat Dolls one as I've actually been thinking about that one--but have held back because of some of the reviews and a fear it might be too much like Carmen Electra.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 03:13 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
What soured you on the Zumbas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
Yes cpcathy, please tell us why you soured on Zumba? I've been on the fence about picking up the QVC set. TIA.
Old 02-24-11, 03:14 PM  
horsemom2

Did some of the Kukuwa Advanced this morning and it was definitely a party in a box. Actually less turning than the Intermediate so probably more carpet friendly without as much tweaking. I do alot of Kukuwa on the bungee rebounder barefooted so have no problem turning yet still choose not to turn. Most of Kukuwa's turns are quarter turns. She mostly does them so you can see what she is doing from the side and when facing the back.

Kukuwa's first LAC series included Latino-African-Caribbean dance and music. To avoid being confused with Zumba, she decided to drop the Latin style and just focus on African and Caribbean styles with *Move Your Boomsey*.

Barb S
who thinks these new Kukuwa soundtracks really kick the boombsey of other workout soundtracks
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 03:44 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
Hi Andtckrtoo, I took Samba classes twice a week for about a year (until my Samba teacher moved away last year). I think the Quenia dvds teach real Samba as I understand it anyway. (I am a beginner who has only studied with one person other than dvds). I haven't actually followed her tutorial because I get bored easily and just want to dance but I think if I were a total beginner to Samba I would have to as the steps move kind of fast. There is a learning curve before you get a good workout--but even if you are not there if you just keep moving at a similar pace as the instructor you should get a good workout (If I get lost I just practice the "Samba Basic" until I am ready to rejoin). I have a non-workout one where she teaches a couple routines and the cardio samba dvd. The Cardio Samba is kind of like interval training as she does each combination slowly (like 1/2 time or maybe slower) for a while then does it at full speed (which is very fast) before moving on to the next combination. It does have a bit of a TIFT add on style, but I actually like it in this case as you need to be familiar with the moves to really dance them so you get better with later repetitions. It moves along at a nice pace though.
Thanks SlySam! I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on the tutorial! I was doing Zumba this morning, and for one brief shining moment it felt like it all clicked (they have a pretty bad tutorial on it actually - question - is the Samba to a 3 count or 4 count per side?). Then, I lost it. I just think the Samba looks so sexy.
Old 02-24-11, 03:57 PM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Thanks SlySam! I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on the tutorial! I was doing Zumba this morning, and for one brief shining moment it felt like it all clicked (they have a pretty bad tutorial on it actually - question - is the Samba to a 3 count or 4 count per side?). Then, I lost it. I just think the Samba looks so sexy.
Christine - It's to a 3 count for a basic samba step. For the volta step, it's usually done in a 4 count:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2307365_do-v...nts-samba.html

There are loads of samba videos on youtube you should check out.

If you have Cardio Axe from Brazil Butt Lift, that is basically the samba.

Marcy

Tags
dance, dance cardio, dance workouts, disco abs, jennifer galardi