Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-19, 03:40 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I have a shiny new Garmin watch that does all-day wrist HR. I also use it with a chest strap for workouts. I've found that it's pretty accurate during the day but for workouts, the chest strap is better.

For someone looking for a new device, one of the new Vivoactive watches might be a good option.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 04:59 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I posted this a couple years ago but I'm still using my Garmin vivoactive HR primarily for the heart rate zones app that you can add to it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I use it mainly as an (expensive) step counter, also the GPS on walks outside so I know how far I've walked, and I love and utilize a heart rate zones data field that I downloaded from the connect IQ store:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/4...c69f911780d6#0

It lets me know what "zone" I'm in when I glance down during workouts at home and I can view a bar graph once the workout is over to see how much time was spent in each zone. It's more helpful to me than just seeing my exact heart rate at any given point in time. (And I recently realized I could modify the boundaries of the zones in garmin express.)
Also, this is the watchface app I use since the ones my Garmin came with were awful (though the sunrise/sunset feature on the app hasn't been working recently on my watch):

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a...c-519a648d3b70
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 05:15 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I posted this a couple years ago but I'm still using my Garmin vivoactive HR primarily for the heart rate zones app that you can add to it:

Also, this is the watchface app I use since the ones my Garmin came with were awful (though the sunrise/sunset feature on the app hasn't been working recently on my watch):

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a...c-519a648d3b70

Ooo I like that watch face! It's not compatible with my watch though.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 05:28 PM  
Vantreesta

adawn, I would like to have the time in each zone on my Vivoactive like that. The instructions look complicated (or maybe my brain is just tired). Is it easy to set up and use? And do you see it while you're working out or just in the stats after you sync with the app? I wouldn't really want to see it while I'm running just in the summary after. Thanks!

ETA: just reread your post and you already said the answers to my questions about when you see the info. Sorry! So maybe a better question, do you know if you can set it up so you don't see the info during the workout? I just really like seeing my distance and pace while I'm running without needing to change screens or anything.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 05:55 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
adawn, I would like to have the time in each zone on my Vivoactive like that. The instructions look complicated (or maybe my brain is just tired). Is it easy to set up and use? And do you see it while you're working out or just in the stats after you sync with the app? I wouldn't really want to see it while I'm running just in the summary after. Thanks!

ETA: just reread your post and you already said the answers to my questions about when you see the info. Sorry! So maybe a better question, do you know if you can set it up so you don't see the info during the workout? I just really like seeing my distance and pace while I'm running without needing to change screens or anything.
My garmin face is a touchscreen and you just drag your finger on it to scroll to whatever screen you want to leave it on during an activity. I tend to leave it on the HR zone screen. But sometimes I'm curious about my step count during the workout and will scroll to that screen, but then I eventually scroll back to the heartrate zones. There's also a distance/timer screen. I think those are the 3 screens I can easily scroll between on my watch during indoor walking. During "cardio" activity I get time/calories instead of distance/time. I think those are all defaults though and maybe even could be changed.

I set up the heart rate zone app so long ago that I don't really remember much about the setup. I followed whatever the instructions were and it worked. Once you set it up, it's good forever unless you want to tinker with the heart rate zones you initially set for yourself.

You only seem to get one opportunity at the end to see the bar graph of how much time you spent in each zone. And it doesn't seem to save this bar graph anywhere so you can't compare one day's workout to prior days. So it doesn't sync anywhere with garmin as far as I know when you connect/sync your watch to your computer or phone. This doesn't bother me because I just like to get a general idea of how hard I worked during a particular workout once it's over with. That's how I discovered I get a much better workout with step and hil/lo videos vs. walking on the treadmill (I guess I'm a slow walker or don't push myself as hard on the treadmill). I still walk on the treadmill, but it's much harder for me to get out of the easy HR zone.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-19, 06:48 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks so much for all the info on it, adawn!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-30-19, 06:58 PM  
sherry7899

Do you use Polar Flow? If you click on "feed" and then "analyze" under your exercise description it will show the heart rate zone graphs by color and how long you were in each zone.

I use a Polar A370 watch.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 11:10 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Do you use Polar Flow? If you click on "feed" and then "analyze" under your exercise description it will show the heart rate zone graphs by color and how long you were in each zone.

I use a Polar A370 watch.
Not sure if you were asking me this question or someone else. I was asking for my Garmin Vivoactive. Polar Flow is just for Polar watches, right? I use a Polar FT60 for indoor workouts but it doesn't have any syncing ability. It shows me how long I spend in each zone though and I really wish my Garmin would too since I use it for all outdoor workouts bc it has GPS.

Old 08-01-19, 09:33 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I purchased the Polar H10 a few days ago. I do like that it has onboard memory that can store over 24 hours of data at one time. It's a fairly sleek design and comfortable so I tried an experiment by wearing it for 22 hours. I've also worn it while doing Cathe STS this week. The big surprise for me is the calorie burn isn't as high as I thought it would be while lifting weights. It's still higher than my fitbit, but not as high as my older Wahoo Tickr. I'm tending to think the Polar is fairly accurate. The calculations they put into the technology are probably pretty general...which really goes to show to have a true idea of how many calories you are burning you need to track food intake, to some degree anyway, Lol

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chest strap, garmin, heart rate monitor, heart rate monitors, polar