Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-17, 08:24 AM  
Negin

Thank you all so very much . I'm sorry that I didn't reply sooner. I've been fighting a horrible migraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Hold 2-3 pound weights together with heavier weights to make smaller increases.
Fabulous suggestion. I can't believe that I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
There is a set of pushups in the beginning of the PS chest set but I believe that is it.
I believe the step is used for step ups in the Leg workout but you could you a box or simply do another exercise. I would think about investing in a step, a stability ball or a cheap weight bench at some point.
I have a stability ball. We're getting a bench. I'll look into a step. We have to have everything imported, since we live outside the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlorrie View Post
I think Chalean Extreme would be good.
Thank you, Lorrie. I'll look into this also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
best DVDs for lifting heavy:
Your detailed tips and list are so helpful. Thank you!
Old 03-23-17, 09:19 AM  
warriorprincess

I absolutely adored New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's the first real program that I stuck with and made so many strength gains with. I learned so much about body building from this book. I was obsessed with it for a couple of years! What really struck me though, was that by taking long rests and doing few reps, you can lift a holy smoke load more weight than you can the way we normally do it.

For video though, Cathe is by far my favorite. But the nature of video has little to no rest between sets, so it's more aerobic and harder to psyche myself into sometimes. On the other hand, you don't feel like you're alone.

I have the same dumbbells as you mention, except I also have 5's and 25's. Many shoulder exercises need lighter weights for me, while the backs and legs need the 25's to feel like they're working... like one-arm rows or squats. I also have a soft 18 lb barbell (body bar?) that's very useful. I can throw my ankle weights on the ends of it to add a few pounds.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-17, 04:11 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Haven't been on in several days but looks like you have a great list of suggestions here. I love Cathe for heavy strength. In the past I've had good luck with Joyce Vedral's Fast Forward and book workouts as well. Kelly Coffey-Meyer has a great heavy weight workout (Muscle Up) as well.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-17, 05:05 AM  
Negin

Thank you all again. Your replies are so helpful and I'm excited to receive my Cathe DVD soon as well as my new weights.

Now, on a related note, and please ignore me if you wish, I just read on a Facebook group post that heavy weights can result in bulging forehead veins . If this is true, I'll try to not go overboard or do anything to excess. But it does concern me. I don't want that at all. I think that this would be more common if extremely heavy weights are lifted.
Old 03-26-17, 03:55 PM  
Tugger31

I don't think I'd worry about bulging forehead veins! Which Cathe dvd did you end up getting??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-17, 04:44 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post

Now, on a related note, and please ignore me if you wish, I just read on a Facebook group post that heavy weights can result in bulging forehead veins . If this is true, I'll try to not go overboard or do anything to excess. But it does concern me. I don't want that at all. I think that this would be more common if extremely heavy weights are lifted.
I worry about this with my legs. I have always had trouble with varicose veins (genetics), but they have gotten much worse over the past few years and I wonder how much weightlifting has contributed to that (if anything). They are very ugly, but don't hurt or ache.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-17, 04:50 PM  
pgun3

I like this post!! I have all of Cathe's older dvd weighted workouts! I may have to look into there steamy one (LOL can't remember the name)
pgun3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 10:17 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I don't think I'd worry about bulging forehead veins! Which Cathe dvd did you end up getting??
Thanks for reassuring me!
I got the Pure Strength one and my mom will be bringing it tonight. She's flying in from the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I have always had trouble with varicose veins (genetics), but they have gotten much worse over the past few years and I wonder how much weightlifting has contributed to that (if anything).
Sorry to hear that Erica . At least they don't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
I like this post!!
Me too!
Old 03-29-17, 01:45 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I know I'm late to the party as usual, but here's an older gem by Gin Miller, and you can really heavy up on the weights. I think I'm going to start incorporating this one once a week!

Seriously Strong

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-17, 03:24 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I know I'm late to the party as usual, but here's an older gem by Gin Miller, and you can really heavy up on the weights. I think I'm going to start incorporating this one once a week!
Seriously Strong
Thank you, Joan. Off to look into this one also.

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weights, jari love, joyce vedral, kathy smith, weighted gloves, weights