Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-16, 10:06 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine View Post
Hi all,

Do any of you combine AHA's with retinol? I use Retin A (0.25%) 3-4 times a week and want to add a AHA to the regimen. I read a PC article that stated the two can be combined but would like to know if any of you do this and, if so, any side effects (good or bad)?

Also, if you are using an AHA in combo with retin-A, what's your fav? I am tempted by Drunk Elephant's product as well as PC's 8%.

Thank you!
Jo
I use .05% Retin A every other night, and I use an AHA once a week on a non-Retin A night. I'm afraid I'll irritate my skin if I use it more often or on the same night. I think you just have to try it out, and see how it goes for your skin. I would suggest starting slow, and working your way up. Then if your skin reacts, you can use less.

I'm using Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion with 10% AHA. Mostly because of the price, but it's a good formula. My preference is PC because of the extra antioxidants, but I think Alpha Hydrox is close in quality. I've heard Drunk Elephant is good, but it's out of my budget.
Old 04-08-16, 11:14 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I use .05% Retin A every other night, and I use an AHA once a week on a non-Retin A night. I'm afraid I'll irritate my skin if I use it more often or on the same night. I think you just have to try it out, and see how it goes for your skin. I would suggest starting slow, and working your way up. Then if your skin reacts, you can use less.

I'm using Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion with 10% AHA. Mostly because of the price, but it's a good formula. My preference is PC because of the extra antioxidants, but I think Alpha Hydrox is close in quality. I've heard Drunk Elephant is good, but it's out of my budget.
I agree with this approach for trying the combination of Retinol and AHA.

I use TriLuma (an Rx drug which is Retin A, hydroquinone and hydrocortisone) for 8 weeks then I go off of it for 8 weeks as hydrocortisone can cause skin thinning. When I don't use the TriLuma I use Paula's Choice 1% retinol serum. I use the retinoids at night. Then a few times a week in the AM I use Alpha Hydrox AHA Soufflé which is 12% AHA. I agree with Leonana that the Alpha Hydrox brand is good (Paula Begoun rates it highly as well) It is one of the few skin care items that I won't spend the extra money purchasing PCs version.

ETA: I was just reading reviews on Beautipedia-PCs review site. Alpha Hydrox Brand is now called Alpha Skin Care. Many of the products are the same but may have been renamed. However there appears to be a new 14% AHA product that is called Intensive Rejuvenating Serum.
The Former Retinol ResQ is now called Enhanced Wrinkle Repair Cream.
The Dual Action Skin Lightener is AHA and Hydroquinone. It used to be called Alpha Hydrox Spot Light Targeted Skin Lightener. I don't notice new versions of the AHA products Leonana and I recommend. However I was just on Drugstore.com and they are still available under the Alpha Hydrox brand name. If you are interested I would buy soon just in case they are being discontinued. Paula's reviews are dated 3/31 so this is a pretty new development.

Last edited by lreidgreen; 04-08-16 at 11:23 PM. Reason: More info
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 11:30 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raineth View Post
I think it's worth it, and it lasts forever. The knockoff ones I've tried, including Real Technique, are much stiffer than the Beauty Blender and just don't work as well. Getting the BB damp, squeezing it out, and then putting makeup on it and "bouncing" it over your face really gives a fantastic finish. And the pointed end is great for smaller areas of the face.

Well worth the $$, IMO. My BB lasts about a year before I replace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54sneakers View Post
I agree that the BBlender is worth the money. I got a great deal on a two pack for $24.99 at Costco.com about a month ago (it has since sold out). Mine last a long time; I wash it off every time I use it with just plain bar soap and let it air dry. That two pack will last me a couple of years. I love the finish it gives as well.
I almost ordered this from Beauty.com as I have a coupon but can't find anything else to bring my order to the minimum $45. I happened to see that Beautipedia also rated it very highly. I started using the Real Technique one and it is OK.
Old 04-09-16, 06:29 AM  
sherry7899

Has anyone used the hair brand "Renpure?" They have cleansing conditioners and shampoo and styling products on Amazon.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 05:06 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

So, my beauty experts, what exactly is so brilliant about "micellar water."

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 05:32 PM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
So, my beauty experts, what exactly is so brilliant about "micellar water."

---
According to board-certified dermatologist Hadley King of Skinney Medspa, micellar water is made up of micelles (tiny balls of cleansing oil molecules) suspended in soft water. “The idea is that micelles are attracted to dirt and oil, so they are able to draw out impurities without drying out the skin,” she says. Therefore, micellar water can be used as a facial wash, makeup remover and moisturizer all in one.

“It looks like water, it has the viscosity of water but when you put it on your finger and feel, it has a different texture than water,” says Tabasum Mir, a skincare physician in cosmetic dermatology and cosmetic laser surgery.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0896514cfd3c9
----
I totally thought it was ridiculous, but I picked some up a couple weeks ago because it was on sale at Walgreens, and to my surprise, I actually like it. It seems to do a good job cleansing my face without drying it out (and I have really dry skin).
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 10:17 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Thank you Leonana and lreidgreen - I really appreciate the feedback. I am going to give it a shot and go with the PC product.
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 10:18 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I agree with this approach for trying the combination of Retinol and AHA.

I use TriLuma (an Rx drug which is Retin A, hydroquinone and hydrocortisone) for 8 weeks then I go off of it for 8 weeks as hydrocortisone can cause skin thinning. When I don't use the TriLuma I use Paula's Choice 1% retinol serum. I use the retinoids at night. Then a few times a week in the AM I use Alpha Hydrox AHA Soufflé which is 12% AHA. I agree with Leonana that the Alpha Hydrox brand is good (Paula Begoun rates it highly as well) It is one of the few skin care items that I won't spend the extra money purchasing PCs version.

ETA: I was just reading reviews on Beautipedia-PCs review site. Alpha Hydrox Brand is now called Alpha Skin Care. Many of the products are the same but may have been renamed. However there appears to be a new 14% AHA product that is called Intensive Rejuvenating Serum.
The Former Retinol ResQ is now called Enhanced Wrinkle Repair Cream.
The Dual Action Skin Lightener is AHA and Hydroquinone. It used to be called Alpha Hydrox Spot Light Targeted Skin Lightener. I don't notice new versions of the AHA products Leonana and I recommend. However I was just on Drugstore.com and they are still available under the Alpha Hydrox brand name. If you are interested I would buy soon just in case they are being discontinued. Paula's reviews are dated 3/31 so this is a pretty new development.
Are you using Triluma due to hyper pigmentation? Also, thank you for the product info!
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 11:04 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine View Post
Are you using Triluma due to hyper pigmentation? Also, thank you for the product info!
Yes. I used it with success a long time ago but when it was prescribed to me again a few years ago it was no longer being manufactured. It has gone back into production again and I do find it very effective.
You are welcome!
Old 04-10-16, 08:55 AM  
mandie123

Makeup question?

Any suggestions for a foundation with medium to full coverage?

Tags
beauty thread, paulas choice