Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-15, 10:36 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Bee- what kind of music does your son like?
We are a house of music geeks- including our sixteen year old son.

Our son would love subscriptions to British music magazines which are so much better than American ones but they are very pricey.

I can try and help with music book and magazine suggestions.
He actually likes all kinds of music, pretty much. He's taking a music theory class this year, and his newfound understanding of the math in music has taken it to a new level for him. He is writing music, listening to classical music, all kinds of current stuff.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 11:23 PM  
Sissy B

I finished Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop by Jenny Colgan tonight. I liked it, but her Cupcake Cafe series was better IMO.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 06:26 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I finished Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop by Jenny Colgan tonight. I liked it, but her Cupcake Cafe series was better IMO.
I like the cupcake series more also.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 06:27 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
He actually likes all kinds of music, pretty much. He's taking a music theory class this year, and his newfound understanding of the math in music has taken it to a new level for him. He is writing music, listening to classical music, all kinds of current stuff.
I admit I am really ignorant about classical music. I can check on magazines for current music and post later. That is wonderful that he is writing his own music.

Sherry

Old 12-27-15, 10:20 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I like the cupcake series more also.

Sherry
Yeah, me three on liking the cupcake series better. Although I finished Christmas at Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop and think I liked that better than the first one in the series.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 10:48 AM  
sherry7899

For fans of Irish fiction- Melissa Hill's book "The Heartbreak Care" is available for free for the kindle today only.

Old 12-27-15, 01:56 PM  
leigh1673

I've been on a historical (British) lit kick lately. I recently finished The Unseen by Katherine Webb and enjoyed it a great deal. I definitely stayed up way past my bedtime reading it a few nights!

http://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Katheri...katherine+webb

It's a mystery/suspense style book that's very much in the vein of authors like Kate Morton whose cast of present day characters are trying to solve a mystery involving another set of characters who lived in the past. In this one, the 2 different "casts" of characters take place 100 years apart.

So if this kind of book floats your boat, I'd highly recommend it!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 02:02 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Finished Tricky Twenty-Two by Evanovich. I still enjoy reading these even though there isn't much new. The plot and actions are over the top silly. This was a library book, so I didn't pay for it. I don't think I'd pay more than 2.99 for it.

Still reading A Walk in the Woods.

Half way through Blackout - Sarah Hepola. She's an alcoholic and this was on several best nonfiction of 2015 books. The intro was outstanding, the verdict is still out on the rest. Right now, I'm not thinking she learned much even if she stopped drinking- but we'll see. She doesn't really seem to take any responsibility and some of what she did is so cringe-worthy. I say this with empathy, as ... there but for the grace of the universe, go I..... but maybe she needed to be further from it or she has other issues.

This morning started The Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes. No thoughts on this yet.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 10:33 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Hi all,

If any of you like old school criminal/cop stories, I recommend "Badlands" C.J. Box. It's not a Gone Girl style plot, just an old fashioned crime thriller and a quick read set in North Dakota.
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 12:17 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Finished listening to Christine by Stephen King. This book didn't scare me, can't suspend my belief that far, but boy King can spin a yarn. I actually think this was a pretty good book. They could have cut the first half in half and had the same book though.

Went back to Moby Dick and realized, I only had part of it. Not sure what I'll listen to next. But, still reading the same list of books.

A Walk in the Woods is just starting to depress me. He's ranting about the Park Service, Forest Service, etc. as well as environmental destruction. I agree with him, but these are all things I'm aware of from being an avid outdoors person who has done environmental work for 25 years. In this part of the book, he isn't really hiking but just visiting segments.

I was bad today- I have hundreds if not 1000 ebooks and today, I bought two books by David Foster Wallace and a book with 5 wacky mysteries (Susan Mc something.) Plus I've picked up freebies including a Jackie or Suzanne Collins book which I'll probably never ever read. Ugh, at least my hoarding isn't visible and only takes up tiny microns on a computer chip.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, reading, winter reading