Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-15, 12:00 PM  
BunnyHop

Finished the Elizabeth I bio last night. A good read, but parts of it did sort of drag. Maybe that reflects my lack of interest in court politics and intrigue. Or maybe I just got bored with the repetitive nature of some of it. (Tension between Protestants and Catholics, tension with Spain and France, uncertainty about the succession, untrustworthy courtiers, ego-ridden military commanders ... . )

It was interesting to read, though, and well written. The author does have a knack for making it relatively easy to track who's who, and follow their changes of name/rank/status.

Parts of it do go in to some brutal details about things like acts of torture and execution. If that kind of thing is triggering, maybe read something else. (Or find a different subject to read about, the Tudor era was not all fluffy bunnies.)
Old 07-12-15, 10:28 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

I just finished Luckiest Girl Alive which I didn't like at all - it's a quick read but, without giving away anything, just not interesting. I also read The Daylight Marriage, which was a very quick read and a good story (not a thriller - a relationship story). Finally, I read What Comes Next and How to Like It - a memoir which I really enjoyed.

Next on tap is A Small Indiscretion and Dietland.

Happy reading all!
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 07:46 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I finished One Certain Summer and like it, not as much as the other book I read by her (Irene Hannon).

I'm about to finish The Martian by Andy Weir. What a creative and different book. I like things that make me laugh - books, TV, fitness instructors, husband, etc. - and I've laughed out loud multiple times while reading this book. There's a lot of places where the main character figures out scientific and/or mathematical things and I've started skimming those sections - enough to get the idea of the problem he's solving, but not enough to understand the science/math.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 11:15 AM  
Judy W.

Inspired by this thread, I checked out an e-copy of 'Station Eleven' by Emily St. John Mandel. I really enjoyed it! Very well written, and I was sorry when it ended. I wanted to travel on to the next destination with The Symphony! I'd love to see another book in the series.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 11:34 AM  
BunnyHop

I've been reading Roadmarks by Roger Zelazny.

Interesting story, intriguing premise. One of those where you have NO idea where the story's going to go.
Old 07-13-15, 11:38 AM  
sherry7899

I finished "Maybe in Another Life" by Taylor Jenkins Reid, which I loved. It tells parallel stories of what would happen to the main character if she made one decision differently. It reminded me of the British movie "Sliding Doors." The author's other two books are excellent also.

I have Wendy Wax's latest beach series book checked out from the library. I think it will be predictable, but I am absorbed enough to keep reading.

I recently read "The Pink Ladies Club" by Emma Hannigan. It is set in Ireland, and is about three women with cancer, yet it is not depressing (though parts are sad). The author has battled cancer nine (I may have the number wrong, depending on which source I found) times herself, (!) so the portrayal is very realistic.

I also finished Tina Seksis' book "When We Were Friends" which got a little much with character and time shifts, but it was well written.

If you're into music, check out "Play for Me" by Celine Keating. The main character falls for a guitarist in an opening band while attending a concert with her son, and leaves her "real" life to follow him on tour. She was quite self absorbed, but was interesting enough to keep reading. I had to read a book that mentions Richard Thompson and Dar Williams, two musicians I've seen live and met

Sherry

ETA: I borrowed Jane Green's book "Summer Secrets" from the library. I have not really liked any of her books in a long time, so I do not buy them anymore. This was one was much better than her last few. The main character was definitely flawed, but she owned up to it and did take responsibility for her actions. One of her recent books was about a woman who cheated on her husband, and I gave up (library loan) after less than twenty pages. I could not get into at all. I hated "Saving Grace" and ended up skimming it to find out the ending. I thought "Family Pictures" was really bad and could not get through that either. I am not sure of that title-I may have it wrong.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 04:23 PM  
dbclark44

Have you all heard about Lee Harper's latest release - "Go Set a Watchman"? They found an old manuscript of her's and are releasing it tomorrow. It's a follow-up "To Kill a Mockingbird". I preordered it and can't wait to read it. To Kill a Mockingbird was such a classic.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 05:01 PM  
cmarsh4

For the past 2 nights, I've stayed up way too late reading another mystery/drama called Sleep Tight. I'm less than 30% through it, but damn if it's not reeling me in.

I read this book this week-end and it was very good. I couldn't put it down. I think I am going to check out other books by this author.
]
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 06:40 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
Have you all heard about Lee Harper's latest release - "Go Set a Watchman"? They found an old manuscript of her's and are releasing it tomorrow. It's a follow-up "To Kill a Mockingbird". I preordered it and can't wait to read it. To Kill a Mockingbird was such a classic.
I vaguely remember reading that she had written and submitted the 'Go Set a Watchman' manuscript, but was advised to re-write it from the viewpoint of a younger Scout. She did, and created a classic.

From a literary-history point of view, I guess that makes GSAW an interesting artifact, but is it going to prove to be a novel worthy of as much attention as it has been getting? I'm skeptical. (I was a lit major in college, FWIW, so maybe my expectations might be different than most.)

To the extent that it provokes useful civilized discussions about the issues raised in the books, I guess it's a good thing.

Hey, and if the author needs the money? I have no argument, and wish her well.

OTOH, if her publishers are just cynically making some kind of money grab? Guess I won't be impressed.
Old 07-13-15, 06:52 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Hey, and if the author needs the money? I have no argument, and wish her well.

OTOH, if her publishers are just cynically making some kind of money grab? Guess I won't be impressed.
There have been several articles written about this, speculating elder abuse and such. Apparently, she said for years she would not publish this...

I have no idea, just sharing what I have read.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, reading, summer 2015