Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-18, 12:12 AM  
Jewels5

A VFer's Worst Nightmare

I hope I don't come across as not being grateful to be alive, but I have a bittersweet story and need to vent to people who will understand. A week ago tonight we had a house fire in our rental home that started in the dryer. The good news is my dog Gracie (a Golden, but not my avatar) woke me up and saved our lives (myself and my four kids, the other was away at college). The smoke alarms did not go off but she came up to alert me. I immediately smelled something burning and heard a loud noise coming from the basement, but by the time I got down there it was completely full of smoke and thankfully we all got out safely. The bad news is the home is unlivable due to everything being damaged by smoke. The basement is completely destroyed from water, smoke, and heat, and contained my entire workout DVD collection and equipment. I was lucky to have renter's insurance but it would not begin to cover everything of value in our home, especially my DVD collection which I would feel selfish trying to salvage anyway. I am extremely grateful that we all survived something that could have been so much worse...and, I know I didn't really "need" all those DVDs which are just material things...but I'm still sad.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 12:24 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Aw (((Julie))), I’m so sorry! I know you’ve been through a lot this past year. I’m so glad you and your family are safe. and (((hugs))) to Gracie for that! I have a big box of DVDs I was planning to donate as I’m so into downloads & streaming now. Send me a PM of what your interests are. I’d love to sift through them and send you a care package.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 12:32 AM  
Jewels5

Aw Pam, thank you so much. Maybe this is the time I'm actually forced to go to streaming (I've been rebelling so far).

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 05:57 AM  
sherry7899

Julie, I am so very sorry! I am so glad your family including Gracie are okay. ((hugs)).
I cannot imagine how scary that was.

I remember from being an elf helper for you that you like Ellen Barrett. Please list who else you like and I will see what I have to pass along. I would need for you to please pm your address when you are settled again.

Hugs,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 05:59 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I am sorry to hear about the fire, but glad you and your family are okay. And bravo to Gracie for saving the day!

Yes, make a list of the DVDs and instructors that you like. I am sure there are many that folks would like to pass along.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 06:20 AM  
sherry7899

Also, I have some psychological suspense books I would be glad to send. I remember you enjoy those.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 06:35 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

How scary. I am glad you guys are ok! I am so sorry about you losing everything Thank God your sweet dog alerted you!!

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 06:40 AM  
MariC

Julie so happy that you and your family are all ok. The whole thing just too scary
Bravo to Gracie!
Sorry for everything that you and your family have lost. I understand the whole thing
about insurance not even beginning to cover some of the loss you are going
through. Memories in everything. I had gone through a basement house flood and lost furniture,appliances, pictures, hundreds of Workout VHS tapes
Workout equipment. Some things just can not be replaced.

DVD wise do let us know what we can do to help.

Once again I am happy that you are all ok
Take care,

Mari
MariC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 06:45 AM  
donnamp

Julie - how scary. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I would be so very happy to pass some DVDs along to you - I have so many that are gathering dust and that I will probably never use again.

Would you mind posting a "wish" list and I can see if I have something that you would like -

I'm so glad your dog woke you up - I have a Golden, too.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-18, 06:47 AM  
anjabear

Julie,

I'm so sorry for your loss. And so glad you, your children, and dog are safe.

Even if you do go to streaming, if there are some DVDs that you would really like, maybe someone has them to send to you. Please let us know.

(((hugs)))