Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-12, 07:16 AM  
Snuckles

Can I freeze these items?

Hi, I cooked way too much for Father's Day and am trying to figure out what freezes well and what doesn't. So if you could chime in on each of these items I'd really, really appreciate it.
  • Grilled Onions
  • Grilled Bell Peppers (cut into strips)
  • Greek Pasta Salad (feta cheese, bell pepper, onions, cucumber, pasta, and some other stuff)
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 07:59 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

My vote is 1st 2: yes, 3rd: no.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 08:38 AM  
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
My vote is 1st 2: yes, 3rd: no.
I agree with this.

The first 2 things will be fine. The salad .... mixed result. I've frozen pasta before, that was ok. But the cucumbers, peppers & onion (I'm assuming fresh, not cooked) - you won't be crazy about the texture after they've been frozen.

"Try for progress, not perfection" Chris Freytag
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 10:04 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Yes, I think the cucumber would just turn to water when defrosted.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 10:11 AM  
Snuckles

Thank you for your responses. Can someone tell me how long they think I can keep the Greek Pasta salad before I should throw it out?
Old 06-19-12, 12:33 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

If the salad has a vinaigrette base rather than a mayo base, I think you can keep enjoying it for a longer time. If it is mayo though, and was out for any amount of time on Father's Day, I wouldn't trust it too much longer.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 12:38 PM  
Snuckles

It was vinaigrette base. But I need more help. I need more than "you can keep enjoying it for a longer time". I need you to give me a number of days or weeks? I'm sorry, I just don't know when it comes to this kind of stuff. I usually wait until I see mold on things, lol!
Old 06-19-12, 05:05 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

No more than 3 days IMO, & it will probably be unappetizing before it goes off.

I would get my 17yo son to invite friends over, they are like the locusts from the 10 plagues - woosh, all food disappears - healthy, unhealthy, anything. Can you bring it to work or a social gathering?
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 06:36 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I agree with the others regarding freezing, but keep in mind that the texture will probably be somewhat mushy when defrosted. The taste should be fine, though. Just be aware you might have use them judiciously so that the texture doesn't matter.

As for refrigeration, I err on the side of caution and pretty much go with 3 days for a mixed dish that includes meat or eggs (e.g. stir fry); 4, maybe 5, days without meat. I'm no expert by any means, but it seems like when you're mixing different food types you're looking at a shorter safe period, or maybe as mentioned, they'll start to get unappealing in your mind before they're truly unsafe. Perhaps it's just personal bias.

I've kept roasted veggies for a week and had no ill effects on my health or the taste/texture of the veggies. I think that's really pushing it, though.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:22 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I guess I'm a renegade. When it comes to refrigeration, I keep it until it goes bad. There is stuff in there for more than a week and it's fine. It's just me in the house, though. I suppose if there were teenagers opening and closing the door every 10 minutes, things would go bad faster. I'll throw it out when it starts to taste or smell bad, or when it's wilting or rotting