Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-19, 07:35 PM  
videofit

Book lovers: What do you call this device?

Not sure if it even exists or if I dreamt it existed. I could have sworn many years ago in one of those odd mail order catalogs of hodgepodge items there was something like a shelf that you wore around your neck or over your shoulders to hold a book higher up so you didn't get neck or back strain or tired arms.

An elderly friend just started reading the best selling 1152 page hard cover bio Churchill: Walking with Destiny and said his wrist gets sore holding the book but when he reads with it on the table he gets either a sore neck or back from leaning over so long to read the tiny print.
Old 01-19-19, 08:56 PM  
donnamp

Hmm...I don't know about that - but would your friend be interested in a Kindle or other type of e-reader? It makes a "heavy" book light! And, you can also adjust the font size so as not to strain your eyes reading small print.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 09:00 PM  
BamaTanya

Maybe an adjustable stand?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J3BXH7E...d-2949e9cdafab
This could hold the book closer while seated. If you look at the reviews, some have used it while propping their backs/heads while in bed, too.
I'm afraid a heavy book would cause neck strain if suspended.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 09:05 PM  
BamaTanya

And (more specific to books and a desk): https://www.amazon.com/BestBookStand...ustomerReviews
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 11:45 PM  
videofit

He wants to keep the book as a reference book so didn't want Kindle. But you've given me an idea. He plays the fiddle so must have a music stand that is adjustable. Also a breakfast tray is an idea as well, if put on the dining table. I'll mention both to him. Thanks!
Old 01-21-19, 10:34 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Here are some ideas for book holders.

You can also find some on Amazon by searching for "book holders".

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 10:42 AM  
bubbles76

Oh Betsy, I love it!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 08:39 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Here are some ideas for book holders.
You can also find some on Amazon by searching for "book holders".
I need one for cookbooks. Thanks for the great website