Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-19, 04:49 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I have a wonky shoulder now after too many burpees this year! I, too, have decided to step away from burpees without regret!

So what I've started doing is just a squat and then a back lunge (so not going to the floor at all) and then repeat the other side. It is usually enough for me to keep my heart rate up and keep up with the workout.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 02:00 AM  
Betty Boop

lreidgreen - Thanks!
Old 01-02-19, 05:42 AM  
Pippadog

Hi

For me its no more trying to jump on and off the step to newer Cathe workouts. Its been a real turn off for me. All her newer stuff seems to have this exercise and the risers are getting higher.

Laura
Pippadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 07:54 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith has a great modification that I always use now. She uses a chair. You just put your hands on the seat of the chair instead of the floor. This is also great for mountain climbers.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 07:59 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I have a wonky shoulder now after too many burpees this year! I, too, have decided to step away from burpees without regret!

So what I've started doing is just a squat and then a back lunge (so not going to the floor at all) and then repeat the other side. It is usually enough for me to keep my heart rate up and keep up with the workout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
Jessica Smith has a great modification that I always use now. She uses a chair. You just put your hands on the seat of the chair instead of the floor. This is also great for mountain climbers.

Sherry
These are both great modifications! I can do burpees but don’t like them, especially when they are endless.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 09:54 AM  
Rhonda

When I do Les Mills Combat and they do burpees, they always have a modifier just doing squats. Which is nice.

Oh the dreaded Cathe jump on and off the step. I don't do that, I just usually jump in place or do a one footed jump on the step and then step down.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 10:34 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I attempted to jump up onto the step once last year -- and then proceeded to miss it! I reached forward to attempt to right myself and ended up hurting my already wonky shoulder (from too many burpees!) even further since I put all my weight into my arm to stop my fall.

No good deed goes unpunished!

So now I just run up and then run down instead...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 12:03 PM  
Exercise Diva

I like doing slider burpees in place of regular burpees. Basically sliders under both feet and slide out into a plank and bring your legs back in. It's tough and I can only do so many but I feel like it's much easier on my body than regular burpees.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 12:17 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
When I do Les Mills Combat and they do burpees, they always have a modifier just doing squats. Which is nice.

Oh the dreaded Cathe jump on and off the step. I don't do that, I just usually jump in place or do a one footed jump on the step and then step down.
That's what I do. I have a Love/Hate relationship with burpees. Depends on my mood I guess. I'll do squats with unweighted deadlifts/good mornings instead.

Or I'll do regular burpees but with my hands on a higher platform. That really makes a difference.

BJ Gaddour has a workout on his DeltaFit set called Workout from Hell. It's ALL burpees! 30 rounds!! 60 seconds on, 60 sec rest. ALL BURPEES! Regular burpees, one-legged, one-armed, one leg and one arm, side, most with pushups, some with side planks, some with weights.
And you know what? I LOVE this workout!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 11:06 AM  
Cowgirl32

Have you ever tried using the transfirmer or elevated step to do modified burpees. MUCH more bearable

Tags
burpees, modifications, substitutes