Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-19, 12:13 PM  
katalina

Health Magazine?

I used to enjoy SELF magazine - until it rolled into Shape. I let my long-time subscription lapse. I currently subscribe to Prevention, which I like - but miss having a 2nd subscription.

How is Health magazine? Any other suggestions? I prefer articles about health and fitness - not about makeup, celebrities, and fluff.

Thanks!
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 12:19 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I bought a copy of Health magazine at the airport this month and was totally unimpressed. Fluff content and ads.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 12:31 PM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I bought a copy of Health magazine at the airport this month and was totally unimpressed. Fluff content and ads.
Thanks, Jackie! I appreciate it!
Old 12-28-19, 12:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I just subscribed to D'Fyne Magazine -- it's all about fitness after 40 (not sure that's you). I heard about it after reading a thread here about a woman who got really fit late in life -- Joan. The first issue is sadly not all that interesting -- I was hoping for more detail but it seems kind of fluffy. Back issues are available so I may check out another one if a headline grabs me, just to see if this issue was maybe a fluke. Hoping....
Old 12-28-19, 12:54 PM  
sherry7899

It seems like most magazines are mainly ads now. I stopped buying them.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 01:08 PM  
Gams

I have a subscription to Health and it usually does have a lot of fluff about makeup and stuff, but I got another issue a couple days ago and was shocked by the number of good articles in it. This month, anyway, is a good one.

My two favorite magazines are the AARP magazine and Saturday Evening Post. I also like Closer.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 01:14 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I still subscribe to Oxygen Magazine but it’s only published quarterly now. I like it but there are a few ads. I also went to getting the electronic version (Nook app) which has saved a lot of physical space.

I used to enjoy Muscle & Fitness Hers but I only see the physical magazine on racks sometimes. And it’s usually a really expensive “special” edition.

I also still subscribe to e-versions of Runners World (quarterly now) & Clean Eating (bi-monthly).
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 01:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Hi Katalina - i also enjoy Prevention, but found out that my public library has free online copies available thru their free app called RBDigital. Yoga Journal is also available. you don't have to wait for someone to "return it" - i think they have unlimited access for their patrons. They have the latest and archived editions of Runner's World, Women's Health and Men's Health also thru this app. all of these digital versions are in color and read exactly like the actual printed copy, including the ads.

i searched for Shape, but it looks like my particular library stopped the availability or maybe RBDigital no longer provides it.

about RBDigital:
https://rbdigital.com/

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-19, 01:43 PM  
katalina

Thanks for the responses! I was unimpressed when I was last at the store and flipped through the magazines they had there.

I had had a subscription to Self, which they moved to Shape. While I found a few articles of interest, I found most of Shape to be of little to no interest to me and did not renew when my subscription lapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I just subscribed to D'Fyne Magazine -- it's all about fitness after 40 (not sure that's you). I heard about it after reading a thread here about a woman who got really fit late in life -- Joan. The first issue is sadly not all that interesting -- I was hoping for more detail but it seems kind of fluffy. Back issues are available so I may check out another one if a headline grabs me, just to see if this issue was maybe a fluke. Hoping....
Yes, that's me. I'll have to check that magazine out. Thank you!
Old 12-28-19, 01:45 PM  
pcdoctor01

I used to love "Shape" magazine. Now it's just a fashion, makeup, etc magazine with a little fitness stuff. if I had to subscribe, Women's Health. Even Men's Health is better than Shape.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magazines