Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-19, 09:34 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hmmmm the title of the thread didn’t say anything about resolutions, only plans for the new year....what’s wrong with that?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 09:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Lately I've been thinking about how I want to move differently next year and not just in terms of a workout. I've got the "get my workout in" ever day down pretty well. I've been following Katy Bowman and Petra Fisher and thinking more along the terms of nutritious movement.

Definitely need to sit less.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 09:42 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Lately I've been thinking about how I want to move differently next year and not just in terms of a workout. I've got the "get my workout in" ever day down pretty well. I've been following Katy Bowman and Petra Fisher and thinking more along the terms of nutritious movement.

Good reminder Jackie! I have a lot of Katie’s Alignment Snacks, might work through them for my solstice/New Year Sadhana.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 12-02-19, 09:53 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hmmmm the title of the thread didn’t say anything about resolutions, only plans for the new year....what’s wrong with that?
Absolutely nothing The OP asked about our workout plans, not resolutions. This is a fitness board and we are generally excited about working out and we do it throughout the entire year. Not much to prove there!

I love starting the New Year with a grand fitness plan. It sets the tone. I'm excited, not delusional
Old 12-02-19, 10:00 PM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Don’t set yourself up for a fail unless you like that feeling. Just be consistent in shooting the ball in the hoop. That way you can’t help but get the ball in.

I think these New Year resolutions are a waste. The new year will not make you do anything you aren’t already doing.
Besides, why wait for a New Year to start in the negative. Do what you need to do this year 2019,,,!!!!!!!
This post is highly inappropriate and judgmental. First off I didn’t ask for resolutions I just asked what workouts will you be doing and second, if someone wants to have resolutions you don’t get to judge them and tel them what to do.

If any mods are reading this post , please delete this reply.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 10:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Absolutely nothing The OP asked about our workout plans, not resolutions. This is a fitness board and we are generally excited about working out and we do it throughout the entire year. Not much to prove there!

I love starting the New Year with a grand fitness plan. It sets the tone. I'm excited, not delusional

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 12-02-19, 10:46 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Consistency will be the key for me in New Year. I know I need to focus more on strength but I probably won't, and instead I will do cardio which I love and will only add strength couple of times per week because I know I should. Like I did this year. Point is, that I will try to do SOMETHING every day - whatever it is. Consistently.

Couple of days ago, I've signed up for new pilates streaming site (ePilates Online) that I'm really excited about. Site owner is Emma, and her workouts are of course pilates but with some yoga and barre included and the emphasis is on health, flexibility and just feeling good. Not looks or "results". I participated in her 14 Day Free challenge and I have to say I DID feel good when I was done! That's my plan for the next year!
Old 12-02-19, 10:57 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I like what I'm doing so I'm going to keep it up. My workouts are short, so the plan is to start adding on short upper/lower body strength to my current rotation (RehabZone).
That's exactly where I am. And I'm happy to hear you have found that Alison. Our fitness journeys can have highs and lows but it's so wonderful when we find that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
For me, flexibility is my #1 priority so it's a consistent yoga practice I want to establish and maintain. I've decided that's my only fitness goal for the coming year on the basis of "change one thing".
Those focused kinds of goals spoken out I think are so good for those who might be struggling and need the affirmation that lies within setting simple goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
This week, I'm starting a new focus on cardio because I want to improve my cardio capability. I do most of my workouts at the YMCA and I'll go there to do the cardio workouts I'm trying. I may do more strength workouts at home around them. This will carry me into the new year.
Laura, you have provided another way someone could gain encouragement in setting a simple accomplishable goal. Thank you so much for helping me over the years in understanding how to classify workouts so I could learn how to do a rotation. I am very grateful to you and and want you to know I am cheering you on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
2019 has been a rough year - so I have just been doing gentle stuff that is low dread. ....
Donna
Donna, you are tough to keep plugging on. So many times I hit a roadblock and I didn't do as you are doing and wish I had! Keep it up because you are showing others how to keep on..keeping on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
That's a thought provoking goal Jackie! I have never considered that.

This has been a great thread and I have enjoyed reading everyone's plans. I hope the lurkers who struggle and read will see the different paths we all take now...and look forward to next year.

Part of my thrill of the new year is the opportunity to explore something new or different from the last. And yes, I now NERD UP some new rotations to explore or changes to make that require planning because I believe in working smart
And of course, that means keeping my goal simple

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 06:50 AM  
donnamp

Thank you, Linda~~

I don't know if the "setting yourself up to fail" post was meant for me or not - but I want to be clear, I'm not giving up - I'm not wallowing in self-pity, but I'm being realistic in terms of what my mind and body can handle. When we have heavy things pressing on our lives we can't always do what we did before - we have to make adjustments and do the best we can with what energy we have available to give. I don't know if 2020 will be better, worse or the same as 2019, but I have to respect my mind/body/emotions for where they are - and just work with the energy I have available. I hope I'm not being overly sensitive about this - but just wanted to clarify, i'm not giving up - I'm soldiering on as best I can for right now and if that means taking things down several notches, so be it. The time may come when I feel like doing more, and i will.

Jackie - that is a good reminder about making your entire day your "workout" I sit all day at work, unfortunately, and I have a long commute sitting in the car, but this is an excellent reminder to do what you can do - sneak movement in when you can.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 07:41 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I see no need to jump on Cheryl. I think we all understood that her intentions were good and kindly meant.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bret contreras, glute lab, new year, new year goals, new year rotations, ymca