Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-19, 10:21 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info on kettlebells. I'm going to see what's available in my area before I look online very much. The prices of some of them are .

Starbelly, thanks for your recommendations. I'll look into them further depending on how I click with the first one of Lauren's.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-19, 12:44 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I love, love, love Kettlebell Incinerator -- it's the most versatile, cardio-focused DVD I have of all the Lauren Brooks DVDs I have. SUAT is really good too for restarting/beginners because the segments are short and comprehensive while not moving too fast. Vol 1 is super fun too and doesn't have too many hard/risky moves. Kettlebell Body is one I've only done once -- it's more strength focused and I tend to do other stuff for that as I prefer kettlebells to be my AWT substitute
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-19, 12:45 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Kettlebell Body is a favorite of mine for strength building because of its slow pace. Great pick. I bought my first kettlebell at Target or Walmart to try it out first. Check the feel of the handle for any rough spots and shape in your hand. I started with a 20lb (not kg) bell. I later bought 2 15lb bells and a 30 lb bell the same way.

I love kettlebells and wanted to expand my collection. I ended up buying a set from Rep Fitness on Amazon for free shipping. That was the cheapest option I could find for what I was looking for. I took a risk on how they would feel in my hands etc. I love them. The set had 1 each 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg and 24kg. I also bought additional singles of a 12kg and 16kg so I could do doubles work. I later bought an additional 20kg for doubles for leg work mostly. That single 20kg I bought on eBay. It’s a 1 Fit Wonder brand and was also cheaper than other places. It is a great bell. I kind of wish I had bought all 1 Fit Wonders.

The Rep Fitness bells have a rougher finish (not rough but has a bit of grip to them) and the 1 Fit Wonder is smoother. At first I wished I had all smoother handles, then I worked out with them. As my hands get sweaty, the smoother finish feels almost too slick and I’m afraid it’ll slip out of my hands. The rougher bells don’t do that and I’m glad I have more of them. It’s tricky when buying equipment online cause it’s risky if you don’t like them but for my needs these brands were cheaper money wise but great quality and work well for me.

Whatever brand you go with just make sure they are solid cast iron and all one piece. Sometimes they are vinyl covered cement which won’t be an accurate weight. If the handles are welded on and not one piece they can break at the welds. This is also why I always shied away from adjustable bells. I was always afraid with all the forces generated swinging the bell that it would come apart and fly like shrapnel. I don’t know if that is at all possible with those but it was definitely a fear I had. Happy researching/shopping.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-19, 12:28 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
Kettlebell Body is a favorite of mine for strength building because of its slow pace. Great pick. I bought my first kettlebell at Target or Walmart to try it out first. Check the feel of the handle for any rough spots and shape in your hand. I started with a 20lb (not kg) bell. I later bought 2 15lb bells and a 30 lb bell the same way.

I love kettlebells and wanted to expand my collection. I ended up buying a set from Rep Fitness on Amazon for free shipping. That was the cheapest option I could find for what I was looking for. I took a risk on how they would feel in my hands etc. I love them. The set had 1 each 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg and 24kg. I also bought additional singles of a 12kg and 16kg so I could do doubles work. I later bought an additional 20kg for doubles for leg work mostly. That single 20kg I bought on eBay. It’s a 1 Fit Wonder brand and was also cheaper than other places. It is a great bell. I kind of wish I had bought all 1 Fit Wonders.

The Rep Fitness bells have a rougher finish (not rough but has a bit of grip to them) and the 1 Fit Wonder is smoother. At first I wished I had all smoother handles, then I worked out with them. As my hands get sweaty, the smoother finish feels almost too slick and I’m afraid it’ll slip out of my hands. The rougher bells don’t do that and I’m glad I have more of them. It’s tricky when buying equipment online cause it’s risky if you don’t like them but for my needs these brands were cheaper money wise but great quality and work well for me.

Whatever brand you go with just make sure they are solid cast iron and all one piece. Sometimes they are vinyl covered cement which won’t be an accurate weight. If the handles are welded on and not one piece they can break at the welds. This is also why I always shied away from adjustable bells. I was always afraid with all the forces generated swinging the bell that it would come apart and fly like shrapnel. I don’t know if that is at all possible with those but it was definitely a fear I had. Happy researching/shopping.
Thanks for the info on the kettlebells! The Rep Fitness ones look good and I'll definitely consider them when I buy.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-19, 05:45 PM  
kalliope999

Note that Lauren is discontinuing physical DVDs, so if you really want a DVD copy of something, now seems to be the time to do it. You may not be able to find them later.

SUAT is one of my favorites. It's perfect for when I come back to exercise after a break. Nothing too strenuous to stress my body out when I'm short on sleep, etc., but enough to feel great and start seeing a difference. I like to follow the SUAT Longer rotation, which has you do two workouts per day, every other day, for a total of around 25-30 minutes per session.

Kettlebell Body is a little less cardio focused, to my recollection. For some reason I've never done that one much, but I know it's really popular.

I love Volume 1 because it's the first one I purchased many years ago. The 12 minute workout is one of my all time favorite quick workouts, and the full length 40 minute is just the right length for my attention span.

I also really really love Incinerator. It reminds me of the 12 Minute from Vol. 1 - definitely short and intense and cardio focused in addition to strength building.
Old 05-27-19, 06:34 PM  
DawnMarie

This won’t help, but... all of them??

As a beginner, SUAT or Volume 1. But if you love kettlebells, you’ll want them all. I bought her last 2 (Lucious and Lean and Sexy Strength) to complete my collection.

As far as bells go, I’ve got a lot from WalMart CAP bells for a decent price.
Old 05-27-19, 06:36 PM  
bubbles76

Which Laurens are the best for strength? I figure I got Kettlebell Kickboxing and Paul Katami to cover me for cardio with kettlebells.

ETA: whoa Dawn you have 9 kids? That's awesome!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 12:46 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Which Laurens are the best for strength? I figure I got Kettlebell Kickboxing and Paul Katami to cover me for cardio with kettlebells.
For me, Kettlebell Body and Revelation are great strength builders. All of Lauren’s workouts really focus more on strength than cardio so it’s more about what fits your timeframe for working out. A favorite workout for me is two Kettlebell Body workouts together with a finisher of one of Keith Weber’s Extreme Kettlebell workouts for a roughly 60 min workout. It always leaves my legs shaking. I rarely use Incinerator or SUAT because of their length (too short for my needs) and don’t always want to combine a bunch of workouts together but they are good workouts. Her Vol 1, 2 and 3 are great too a good strength workout with a cardio finisher in under an hour. 3 uses a suspension trainer for part of it though.

Kettlebell Kickboxing can be a great strength builder too if you go heavier than her and slow the reps down to a safe pace for heavier bells.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-19, 10:13 AM  
DawnMarie

I do

For strength? Kettlebell Body. The pace of the majority of her workouts lend themselves to strength. And the cardio portions, allow for lighter bells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post

ETA: whoa Dawn you have 9 kids? That's awesome!
Old 05-30-19, 05:45 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks! Well, I'm going to bite the bullet and get the following:

Kettlebell Body
SUAT
Kettlebell Revelation

Well, Big Bubble is biting the bullet . Gotta love him, he just got me some Jeanette Jenkins workouts for Mother's Day!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebells, lauren brooks