Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-17, 02:11 PM  
Calistro

Kathy smith fat burning workout and a couple of Jane Fonda workouts for good measure.
I don't know why I kept insisting on trying to beat the Jane Fonda workouts, they were painful, until I realised there was this thing called high impact
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 03:16 PM  
Genevieve M

Started with Jane Fonda, sporatically, in the early 90's. Then graduated to Tae Bo, the Firms. My first Cathe, I was afraid she was too tough...got over that quickly. Started going all-out on videos in 1997, after that, there was no turning back.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 04:11 PM  
meg39

Early 80's with the Jane Fonda record...then in college I used to do a Joanie Greggains record with a college roommate, and also the 20 min workout on TV - anyone remember that?

The first video I bought was a Jane Fonda video, but the video that really hooked me was Firm Vol 1 in 1987ish, when I had my first baby.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 07:03 PM  
smokybubbles

1992-Reebok Step Workout Video, then 1995 The Firm Vol. 3 with Sandahl Bergman and I've been buying workouts ever since!

Kathleen
smokybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 07:22 PM  
JustSandra

I had a Joanie Greggains abs audio cassette tape and some yoga workouts, also on audio cassette, around 1984. In 1987, shortly after I moved to my current home, I became disillusioned with the few gym options available and decided to turn my spare bedroom into my private workout studio -- which it still is today! I don't honestly remember my first VHS workout purchase, but some of my early favorites were Jane Fonda's Workout With Weights and a Denise Austin stretch tape. I bought a Club step (which I still have) that came with a Lynne Brick workout. Like others have noted, I soon after found The Firm Volume 1, which was a game-changer for me!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 07:33 PM  
marya

In 2005 a DF gave me the best birthday present I've ever received: a Leslie Sansone Walk Aerobics VHS tape. It was a gift that has kept on giving--even after it wore out! It has had innumerable successors...
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 07:57 PM  
CharM

I think since 2003. My sister gave me some firm tapes and a Fanny Lifter, my brother gave me his original Power 90 with bands. No, they didn't want to get me into fitness, they just wanted to get rid of their "junk", which was my treasure! I haven't stopped working out since, with the exception of taking a few weeks off once because of a non-exercise related injury.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 05:32 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I remember doing my mom's Jane Fonda workout tape in the 80's but I only did it once or twice I think. I probably bought my first video in the early 90's Tonetics or something but never really did it. Then found the Tamilee Webb Buns of Steel videos in 1994 and Kathy Smith, and discovered the Firm in 1996. And Tae Bo in 1999. And more in between.

From the early 90's to 2003 it was sporadic, bought some videos and would do them sometimes but the habit never took hold. I would say it was 2003 where I finally stuck with it for a while and the collection exploded from there.

So on and off for over 20 years and consistently (mostly) since 2003.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:18 AM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg39 View Post
Early 80's with the Jane Fonda record...then in college I used to do a Joanie Greggains record with a college roommate, and also the 20 min workout on TV - anyone remember that?

The first video I bought was a Jane Fonda video, but the video that really hooked me was Firm Vol 1 in 1987ish, when I had my first baby.
Excluding a baby, my history with audio/video training was also Jane Fonda's record (with the book for visual), then her video, followed by the Firm Volume 1.

I did use paper workouts for resistance training for a few years with video for cardio sessions. After fitness training for 42 years, I guess I have become "lazy" as I am pretty much entirely dependent on video training whether it is DVD's, downloads, or streaming.
Old 07-01-17, 09:26 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

My summer senior year in 1977, I did jumping jacks to music. We had started being lazy about getting to the beach & body surfing, & I craved activity.

I started taking aerobics at the YWCA in 1986. The Y closed down, & I did my own aerobics using the rebounder--I really liked it & discovered interval training, but I didn't know what it was called back then (I find heavy metal music very exciting.) I bought a vcr & then 2 exercise tapes on Christmas Day of 1987--it was Susan Rasmussen's Workout & Trouble Spot Trimmer. I remember she did tuck jumps in the Workout tape, but I didn't know what they were called then. Sometime after, I got Jane Fonda's New You Workout, but I didn't really like it. I got Jane Fonda's Low Impact Aerobics Workout, & I liked that.

I really started enjoying aerobics on tape when I started doing the It Figures show in 1988.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote